Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

battery died, i believe my sound system ran it dry

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery died, i believe my sound system ran it dry

Hello everyone,

I have a complete upgraded system in my cobalt 2007. I have a aftermarket pioneer radio, hifonics zeus 5 channel amp, 10" pioneer sub in ported box, infinity kappa component set in doors and rear. I have a external fan wired on the side of my amp as well. I have aftermarket m3 blinking mirrors. I have 24k miles on my car and my car audio has been in about a 8 months. I went to start my car today and the battery was completely dead so took it to autozone and had them test it and it would not charge. I went and bought a new battery today 600 cca from walmart but believe its going to do drain it again. I know this is not a solution of a battery but i am out of state in florida and driving back to texas tommorow so I needed a fix for now. I really need to find a solution for this or I am going to rip out my system as its not worth it. I read from so many sites to get a capacitor and then read there hard on your alternator. I also read to get Kinetik battery and then upgrade your alternator. My amp is the hifonics zxi 8006. I am running it like this.

The ZXi 8006 provides up to five-channels of amplification, 4-channels producing 110W RMS @ 2-ohms of real power for Front Left and Right channels, Rear Left and Right channels, plus the 5th channel, a 300W RMS subwoofer channel for the most pure bass you have ever heard.

Can someone please clarify with what i need to do, PLEASE!

What about a capicator? Second Battery? Send out my alternator? Upgrade to larger wiring on battery and alternator?

thanks,

Josh
Old 03-30-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a seperate battery for your amp and you will be fine
Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by brickloaf
in series would do the trick right? Just to let you know, your battery is covered under warrenty if you still have the old one.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 PM

How would i wire two batteries together in parallel and that wont hurt my alternator at all? I have read online that adding a second battery you will still need to upgrade your alternator.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM

Ill clarify a few things. Kinetiks is WAY overkill for your system and A cap is 100% COMPLETE garbage. If I were you and you wanted a good reliable setup I would Go get yourself a good set of optima batteries. one red top for under the hood and one yellow top for the system. You can go with a Kinetiks battery but I think you are spending too much money for no reason. untill you have atleast 3k watts amp you dont need to go the kinetiks route. I didn't jump up to the kinetiks line until I was running over 10k RMS.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 PM

buy a battery

hook up the battery straight to amp (battery sits in trunk)
battery positive to amp positive
battery negative to amp negative (works as ground)

Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
buy a battery

hook up the battery straight to amp (battery sits in trunk)
battery positive to amp positive
battery negative to amp negative (works as ground)

it needs to connect to the stock system somehow or else the battery will just run out of charge... it needs an alternator
Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 AM

look at his positive battery post, you can see 2 wires, the 0 gauge is for his amp and im not sure what the other smaller wire is but i know he has 0g wire coming from his alt so its obviously not coming from there

so yeaaaa im pretty sure you can just hook up the battery straight to the amp w/ no alternator
Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeSS1605
Ill clarify a few things. Kinetiks is WAY overkill for your system and A cap is 100% COMPLETE garbage. If I were you and you wanted a good reliable setup I would Go get yourself a good set of optima batteries. one red top for under the hood and one yellow top for the system. You can go with a Kinetiks battery but I think you are spending too much money for no reason. untill you have atleast 3k watts amp you dont need to go the kinetiks route. I didn't jump up to the kinetiks line until I was running over 10k RMS.

10k rms? pics

Originally Posted by CobaltCpe
Hello everyone,

I have a complete upgraded system in my cobalt 2007. I have a aftermarket pioneer radio, hifonics zeus 5 channel amp, 10" pioneer sub in ported box, infinity kappa component set in doors and rear. I have a external fan wired on the side of my amp as well. I have aftermarket m3 blinking mirrors. I have 24k miles on my car and my car audio has been in about a 8 months. I went to start my car today and the battery was completely dead so took it to autozone and had them test it and it would not charge. I went and bought a new battery today 600 cca from walmart but believe its going to do drain it again. I know this is not a solution of a battery but i am out of state in florida and driving back to texas tommorow so I needed a fix for now. I really need to find a solution for this or I am going to rip out my system as its not worth it. I read from so many sites to get a capacitor and then read there hard on your alternator. I also read to get Kinetik battery and then upgrade your alternator. My amp is the hifonics zxi 8006. I am running it like this.

The ZXi 8006 provides up to five-channels of amplification, 4-channels producing 110W RMS @ 2-ohms of real power for Front Left and Right channels, Rear Left and Right channels, plus the 5th channel, a 300W RMS subwoofer channel for the most pure bass you have ever heard.

Can someone please clarify with what i need to do, PLEASE!

What about a capicator? Second Battery? Send out my alternator? Upgrade to larger wiring on battery and alternator?

thanks,

Josh
do you ever play the system with the car off?

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 03-31-2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-31-2009, 02:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at his positive battery post, you can see 2 wires, the 0 gauge is for his amp and im not sure what the other smaller wire is but i know he has 0g wire coming from his alt so its obviously not coming from there

so yeaaaa im pretty sure you can just hook up the battery straight to the amp w/ no alternator
those 2 wires are probably running to the stock battery or maybe to the alternator or some other way to keep the battery charged. Im tellin ya, the battery will die without something charging it
Old 03-31-2009, 03:04 AM

theres no such thing as overkill if i were u id upgrade ur alternator first then id do the "Big 3"
Old 03-31-2009, 03:25 AM

ya sorry man thats an older pic of when my electrical was still sorta schweck.... while i did have 1/0 it wasnt from the alt to the battery. I also have a power d-block for my amps on the rear deck and since the 1/0 wasnt long enough i just ran it to the said d-block and ran 4g to the battery. I also had the stock wire ran to that dblock as well because it wasnt long enough and i had some crap 4g and a butt connector on it for quite some time. Now i have 1/0 from the front to the battery and replaced the stock wire with 4g to the d-block and 1/0 from the bat to d-block

so that 4g is what was connected to the front
Old 03-31-2009, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
10k rms? pics

do you ever play the system with the car off?
yes i have played it with the car off while washing my car and stuff.

Originally Posted by Sp33dyG
theres no such thing as overkill if i were u id upgrade ur alternator first then id do the "Big 3"
is there an upgrade alternator out for our cars as i read online you have to send your stock one out for rebuilt for more power.

Last edited by CobaltCpe; 03-31-2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 AM

thats the issue. and it will happen again unless you get a AGM deep cycle battery. Lead acid batteries retain a memory over time if drained to low. So over time it gets to the point where it wont charge anymore
Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 AM

10k rms? pics
I looked in my photobucket but All I have left is the old for sale pictures. I sold all my gear last summer. heres what I had... I WANT TO REPEAT THIS, ALL MY **** WAS SOLD!!! These were just the for sale pics...

(2) DD9910's Ran these for a daily setup with 5k RMS EACH.

(1) DD9910Z

If anyone is REALLY into SPL, you know what this driver is. This bitch cost almost 4 grand with all the options. I ran 10k RMS to this in street A for local comps.

(1) of (3) DDZ1A's I had.

(1) of (2) of my DD9917s. These are the (2) 18's I ran 7K RMS to EACH.

Originally Posted by Sp33dyG

Dude, This kid is running HiFonics amps...

OP, Please trust me when I say you DO NOT need an upgraded alternator for your current setup. until you get to around 2500-3000RMS is when you need to think about upgrading ur alt.

Im just trying to save you some coin...
Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 AM

yea you dont need a new alt, idc what speedy says

and damn now i want some DD subs, i cant believe you can run 5k in to a 10'

Last edited by brickloaf; 03-31-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-31-2009, 09:31 AM

That Z driver is a 10 and you can run 10K of CLEAN power to it no problem. Im a DD fan boy (Or I should say I WAS) but They really do make amazing products.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:49 AM

how much $$$$ do they cost
Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 AM

how much $$$$ do they cost
The Z series starts at around 4 grand for the 10 and goes up from there...
Old 03-31-2009, 11:42 PM

thats the issue. and it will happen again unless you get a AGM deep cycle battery. Lead acid batteries retain a memory over time if drained to low. So over time it gets to the point where it wont charge anymore
So your saying my battery will die again even if i dont run my radio anymore when the car is off. Also, which agm deep cycle would i need as i did a search on google and came up with a bunch.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=1&ct=title

Josh
Old 04-01-2009, 01:33 AM

just get a optima yellow top
Old 04-01-2009, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltCpe
So your saying my battery will die again even if i dont run my radio anymore when the car is off. Also, which agm deep cycle would i need as i did a search on google and came up with a bunch.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=1&ct=title

Josh
obviously if you dont listen to the radio with the car on you should be fine
Old 04-01-2009, 02:25 AM

Dude, This kid is running HiFonics amps...

OP, Please trust me when I say you DO NOT need an upgraded alternator for your current setup. until you get to around 2500-3000RMS is when you need to think about upgrading ur alt.

Im just trying to save you some coin...
wuts wrong with hifonics amps and the amp im using right now is a shitty amp im jus using it cuz its the only one i have if i had more money id get a RF t10001bd but i dont so im stuck with the amp i have

we'll see when u blow ur alt cuz it cant provide enough amperage to ur amp

and

DD subs arent the only subs u can run 5k into a 10" theres also DC lvl 5's that u can have made in 10" BUT ud have to mount it inverted cuz the mag is bigger than the mounting hole and DC is ALOT cheaper than DD is

(not bashing on DD either)
Old 04-01-2009, 02:27 AM

I looked in my photobucket but All I have left is the old for sale pictures. I sold all my gear last summer. heres what I had... I WANT TO REPEAT THIS, ALL MY **** WAS SOLD!!! These were just the for sale pics...
looks nice man. sux you had to sell it all. how loud did you get on street a? ive never done a dbdrag event only USACI