Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery Question

I'm looking to purchase a Carquest NGT Extreme Battery.

I just need to know what model number I need to get. I'm running a 1200 watt amp and getting the lights dimming, and heard buying a better battery can solve this problem.

Thanks for your help!

p.s. I looked at the Optima Yellow Top, but can't find any locally, and to order one in will cost $230+
Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotenks
I'm looking to purchase a Carquest NGT Extreme Battery.

I just need to know what model number I need to get. I'm running a 1200 watt amp and getting the lights dimming, and heard buying a better battery can solve this problem.

Thanks for your help!

p.s. I looked at the Optima Yellow Top, but can't find any locally, and to order one in will cost $230+
I want one of those batteries too but don't know where to get one other than www.sonicelectronix.com
Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 PM

Batteries don't solve dimming problems. The main purpose of a battery in a car is to get the car started. Your alternator is not supplying enough current for the demand. Try upgrading the battery/alternator wires first to see if it solves your 'issue'.

I bought my redtop at sears for $150 and yellow tops were the same price, but this was over 5 years ago.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM

I plan on doing the wiring upgrade after I get the battery.
Any help with the model number?
Thanks again
Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by iamslow
Batteries don't solve dimming problems. The main purpose of a battery in a car is to get the car started. Your alternator is not supplying enough current for the demand. Try upgrading the battery/alternator wires first to see if it solves your 'issue'.

I bought my redtop at sears for $150 and yellow tops were the same price, but this was over 5 years ago.
A good battery does solve some dimming problems.
I admit a replacement alt is def the way to go however on a 1200 watt system a better battery and the big 3 (wire upgrade) should be all you need.
The stock battery only puts out 750 amps (I can't remember if thats exact but it should be somewhere in the ball park) Since your amp is drawing power right from the battery it makes a difference.

I'm running 3000+ watts and all be it its not by choice, more due to lack of aftermarket products but I'm doing it on the stock alt and 2 Kinetik HC 1800's since Emp sleeps with the blueprints to that dual alt setup under his pillow

OP-You live in London Ont right?
Heres a list from The Carquest website, just go there and they will be able to tell you what model best suits your setup,

CARQUEST Auto Parts (Super Store)
246 HORTON ST
LONDON, ON N6A 4L6, CAN

CARQUEST Auto Parts
430 FIRST ST
LOND, ON 12345, CAN

CARQUEST Auto Parts
610 Newbold Street Unit 4
London, ON N6E 2T6, CAN

CARQUEST Auto Parts
1510 FANSHAWE PARK ROAD WEST
London, ON N6H 5L8, CAN

CARQUEST Auto Parts
4300 Wellington Road South
London, ON N6E2Z7, CAN

Added- I think the part number your looking for is NG3478, if you think you can get a better deal online, however a battery is considered dangerous materials, thus causing issues when ordering from the states
Old 07-09-2009, 01:57 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Spun
I'm running 3000+ watts and all be it its not by choice, more due to lack of aftermarket products but I'm doing it on the stock alt and 2 Kinetik HC 1800's since Emp sleeps with the blueprints to that dual alt setup under his pillow
and just like that too... one eye open just incase you ***** try anything but spun has it right on!
Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 AM

autozone has yellow tops, idk if they have them in canada though
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 AM

How do you do the Big 3 with a battery in the trunk?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 AM

youve got to run wire from alt (front) to battery (back)
Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
A good battery does solve some dimming problems.
I admit a replacement alt is def the way to go however on a 1200 watt system a better battery and the big 3 (wire upgrade) should be all you need.
The stock battery only puts out 750 amps (I can't remember if thats exact but it should be somewhere in the ball park) Since your amp is drawing power right from the battery it makes a difference.
The appearance of dimming doesn't have much at all to do with the battery itself. Typically what is happening is when you go over the current that your alternator can supply there is a voltage drop and then your system will be pulling its current from the battery alone. Think of the battery as a reserve tank. The dimming you are seeing is the voltage going from say 13.8V (typical normal voltage with a car on/alt running) down to 12V. When you let it get down to this point its up to your batteries capacity. So you can make the dimming less noticeable but its certainly not going to go away by replacing the battery.

The 750 amps you're referring to most likely is the cold cranking amps or in other words the amount of current the battery can provide instantaneously not continuously. You need to be worried about what your alternator is rated at amps wise. You can disconnect the battery of your car while its running and it will remain running.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 PM

huh, well a kid I know from High school told me I could have his 3.0 farad cap, because it wasn't working for him, apparently he was still getting the dimming lights even with the cap. The only condition is I had to take it out and put his stuff back together.

Well while I was taking it out, I noticed he didn't have it grounded properly. Needless to say, my dimming problem is now gone. It's nice being able to listen to loud ass music at night.

Still going to upgrade the battery though and do a larger gauge ground from the battery, and some new better battery terminals.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 AM

The appearance of dimming doesn't have much at all to do with the battery itself. Typically what is happening is when you go over the current that your alternator can supply there is a voltage drop and then your system will be pulling its current from the battery alone. Think of the battery as a reserve tank. The dimming you are seeing is the voltage going from say 13.8V (typical normal voltage with a car on/alt running) down to 12V. When you let it get down to this point its up to your batteries capacity. So you can make the dimming less noticeable but its certainly not going to go away by replacing the battery.

The 750 amps you're referring to most likely is the cold cranking amps or in other words the amount of current the battery can provide instantaneously not continuously. You need to be worried about what your alternator is rated at amps wise. You can disconnect the battery of your car while its running and it will remain running.
technically yes but not really... the way the battery in the back is wired with the car if you disconnect the positive wire the car will turn off

huh, well a kid I know from High school told me I could have his 3.0 farad cap, because it wasn't working for him, apparently he was still getting the dimming lights even with the cap. The only condition is I had to take it out and put his stuff back together.

Well while I was taking it out, I noticed he didn't have it grounded properly. Needless to say, my dimming problem is now gone. It's nice being able to listen to loud ass music at night.

Still going to upgrade the battery though and do a larger gauge ground from the battery, and some new better battery terminals.
sounds like a good plan. the stock batt terminals are really retarded and a bigger batt ground always helps. lol i should sell some of the 1/0 wire i have to members (i have a bunch of small left over pieces)

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 07-10-2009 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-15-2009, 07:24 PM

okay I got the NGT Extreme 9A78DT

which has 780 CA

Hopefully this will power my set up better

Keeping the 3.0 farad cap in place too

I think Im going to buy some heavy duty battery terminals to make sure the power is flowing.

Last edited by Gotenks; 07-16-2009 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-17-2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
technically yes but not really... the way the battery in the back is wired with the car if you disconnect the positive wire the car will turn off
Unless cobalts come with a sensor to dectect whether or not the battery is there, or the alternator isn't working properly the car will stay on. I've done this on a couple of different cars. Once a car is started the battery is no longer needed that's the point.

okay I got the NGT Extreme 9A78DT

which has 780 CA

Hopefully this will power my set up better

Keeping the 3.0 farad cap in place too

I think Im going to buy some heavy duty battery terminals to make sure the power is flowing.
Well its good that you made your headlights happy. Remember that the CA rating only determines the starting power of a battery the RC rating is the one you should be concerned about in your situation. You could've dumped the cap and upgraded wiring as well as cleaning up the corosion on alternator/battery connections. You're just giving your alt more work to do with the cap in place. You'd be suprised what a simple $40 mod will do for a stock electrical system.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:12 AM

you could just get a big CAP....mine worked great but i guess it just all depends on how lazy you are. hahah
Old 07-18-2009, 01:32 AM

get rid of the cap
Old 07-18-2009, 01:46 AM

Unless cobalts come with a sensor to dectect whether or not the battery is there, or the alternator isn't working properly the car will stay on. I've done this on a couple of different cars. Once a car is started the battery is no longer needed that's the point.

Well its good that you made your headlights happy. Remember that the CA rating only determines the starting power of a battery the RC rating is the one you should be concerned about in your situation. You could've dumped the cap and upgraded wiring as well as cleaning up the corosion on alternator/battery connections. You're just giving your alt more work to do with the cap in place. You'd be suprised what a simple $40 mod will do for a stock electrical system.
that is correct a car can run off alt only. but the cobalt has a bcm wire going to the battery and only the battery. so if you pull the positive and that cable the car will turn off