Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

blown stock speaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown stock speaker

I have a blown stock front speaker. No Pioneer upgrade, just stock 2006 MP3 system. I could warranty it, but I would rather upgrade. I have a $100 gift certificate at Best Buy, so I will be going there. Any suggestions for a good speaker upgrade (I will not be changing anything else)? I would prefer to just do the fronts, so I need something that will work well with the stock rears but I am not closed to changing rears too.
I am looking at the Pioneer 6-1/2" 2-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones
Model: TS-G1641R.
Dennis
Old 05-21-2007, 07:08 AM

might not believe me but sonly xplodes aren't bad 6 1/2, they are 3 way. I use to own a pair and they last. But thats just me. I'm puttin eclipse inside my doors very soon.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 AM

get the rockford fosgate ones.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to threadjack but are speakers covered under warranty? It sounds like I blew the small pioneer speaker on my right hand window. Does anyone know if this is covered?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
Sorry to threadjack but are speakers covered under warranty? It sounds like I blew the small pioneer speaker on my right hand window. Does anyone know if this is covered?
Should be as long as there are no signs of abuse.

Back to the topic of the thread. In most my past vehicles I have gone with Pioneer speakers and have always found them to be acceptable.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:17 PM

No way, listen to all of them and you will see that they are ALL outclassed by Infinity

RF speakers are garbage, Alpine cant handle highs, and Infinity is awesome with highs and mids not bass so much though
Old 05-21-2007, 03:21 PM

you will find that without an amp to push them, changing your speakers to aftermarket ones doesnt make much sense. they may sound a tad better, save your money and let the warranty replace it, plus it is matched perfectly for the harmonics in your car. A friend of mine once replaced his monsoon system out of his mustang for after market speakers, they were the inifinity kappa series i beleive, sounded like crap, because they werent perfectly matched with the radio and the harmonics of the vehicle
Old 05-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Ya but tuning your speakers to your vehicle isn't that hard to do. You just have to go to your radio and adjust the mid and things like that. Takes all but 2 minutes. And you can do this for WHATEVER speakers you get.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the pioneers. alpines are also pretty nice, but a little more coin.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by denniss
I have a blown stock front speaker. No Pioneer upgrade, just stock 2006 MP3 system. I could warranty it, but I would rather upgrade. I have a $100 gift certificate at Best Buy, so I will be going there. Any suggestions for a good speaker upgrade (I will not be changing anything else)? I would prefer to just do the fronts, so I need something that will work well with the stock rears but I am not closed to changing rears too.
I am looking at the Pioneer 6-1/2" 2-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones
Model: TS-G1641R.
Dennis
Honestly, best bang for the buck go for Infinity, and polymer cones are pretty shatty if you really want to know the truth.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 AM

You really need to just listen to any speaker you may be considering and see what YOU think sounds the best. Personally I can't stand Infinity, they are overly bright and have poor mid bass response. I would go with something else, but that's just my preference. You will be happiest if you get what you like the sound of. If you like the pioneers than go with them!
Old 05-22-2007, 02:44 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
best buy has a media place where you can hear them all... do so and pick the speakers of your choice
Old 05-22-2007, 03:57 AM

Get a component set. It will replace the speakers in the doors and have a separate tweeter with an outboard crossover. A standard multi-element speaker (like most you see at stores) has a woofer cone (5.25", 6.5" etc...) and a couple high frequency drivers as well, all built into oneunit. Some have filters for the high frequency drivers, but there is no way of avoiding the *****-out crappines of them. Even a bad component set will give you better sound than a 2 or 3 way speaker. They'll even have a jumper on the crossover unit itself so you can adjust the overall volume of the tweeter element so you can make it brighter or less bright to suit your tastes. In most cases, cheaper component sets will have a slightly bright sound to them, mainly because if they're cheap, they're just cheap drivers so they come out harsh. I'm not a proponent of any particular brand other than alpine, but if you want to mount the component set completely inside the door (i.e. not have a hole drilled to flush mount a tweeter), then Rockford Fosgate makes a set that allows you to mount the tweeter above the actual speaker cone. It sort of looks like a 2 or 3 way speaker, but you have a more robust crossover unit separating the frequencies which will give you a more defined overall sound. You could land those for not a lot of money and you'd thank yourself for it quality wise. If you don't mind drilling to flush mount the tweeter, you can get some of the lower line Focal compnents for like 200 and they will sing. What is your price range?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:28 AM

I always liked Kenwoods. Though I'm sure I'm about to get flamed for saying that.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 AM

Kenwood makes good decks and amps. They are rock solid, but their speakers I dont know much about.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 AM

I had a set of Sony Xplodes a couple years back. I blew them out in about 2 months, and I'm not one to really crank it up.

Typical Sony quality....
Old 05-22-2007, 04:47 AM

Damn, I have yet to blow mine in my pick-up truck. But ya I wouldn't put them on my cobalt. Kenwoods are pretty good, I might pick me up a set of those.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:23 AM

If your doing your front....dont go infinity only in the front. I love infinity when all your mids are infinity. Other than that, nah. Alpine would be awesome. If i were you i would go ahead and get a component set and just be done. That replaces your factory fronts and gives you some tweet to add along to it
Old 05-22-2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by smartmlp
Kenwood makes good decks and amps. They are rock solid, but their speakers I dont know much about.
Hey man, you don't gotta tell me twice. For their speakers, don't buy their bottom end since their mostly crap. But their higher end stuff is still well priced and pretty good. Well rounded and solid would be the best way to describe them I guess. Their new top end subs have a carbon fiber cone and are low profile, with decent efficiency.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:23 AM

I say Infinity Kappa, they are by far the best for the money, may be like 200 bucks but still are the best, i had them in my accord till i didnt use the accord as much and sold the speakers to my cousin
Old 05-22-2007, 12:07 PM

in the original post Denniss said the he wanted to replace the stock speakers and change nothing else. Buying a set of components would be the last thing he would want to do in that case. Components are designed to run off of an amp they are power hungry. Giving a set of components the power off of a deck would not only make them sound like ass because they are not getting enough clean power but its going to blow them. The number one reason why people blow speakers is because they under power them, then they crank them up. The clipping and distortion caused by not enough power burns up the voice coil. In this particular situation Denniss would be way better off just buying a set of coaxial speakers that he likes the sound of.

I just replaced the door speakers in my cobalt with a pair of Memphis coaxials that I got for dirt cheap and they sound WAY better than the 300$ components that I had in my Jetta. The difference? Power. I'm using a FAR superior amp now, a Zapco instead of an MTX. The amp makes all the difference in the world!
Old 05-22-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by CullinanCut
in the original post Denniss said the he wanted to replace the stock speakers and change nothing else. Buying a set of components would be the last thing he would want to do in that case. Components are designed to run off of an amp they are power hungry. Giving a set of components the power off of a deck would not only make them sound like ass because they are not getting enough clean power but its going to blow them. The number one reason why people blow speakers is because they under power them, then they crank them up. The clipping and distortion caused by not enough power burns up the voice coil. In this particular situation Denniss would be way better off just buying a set of coaxial speakers that he likes the sound of.

I just replaced the door speakers in my cobalt with a pair of Memphis coaxials that I got for dirt cheap and they sound WAY better than the 300$ components that I had in my Jetta. The difference? Power. I'm using a FAR superior amp now, a Zapco instead of an MTX. The amp makes all the difference in the world!
Zapco = some of the best amps in the world IMO

And by the way your right, I ment coaxials and said component, dunno what i was thinking going on 30 minutes of sleep aint doing it for me lol. a good set of coaxials is BY FAR the best way to go expeicallly if thats all your doing.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:47 PM

I do agree with those people about infinity. I bought those for my last grand am and they were excellent. But like someone else said you would probably want to add and amp.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:53 PM

Yeah Black06 I have to agree with you Zapco amps are amazing. The one I put in my cobalt is my first one and at first I did the amps and sub so the hard part would be out of the way, then I put in the door speakers. For the first couple of days I had the zapco and stock door speakers and it sounded way better! I had a couple of friends ask me what speakers I had put in because the difference was huge and the only thing that had changed was the amp. It only got better with aftermarket speakers!

Coaxial. Not component. lol You must be tired!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by xspyder85x
get the rockford fosgate ones.
+1 for RF.

Quick Reply: blown stock speaker