Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

blown stock speaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well now i am running on 1 hour and 15 minutes of sleep in 30 hours i grabed me a 45 minute nap lol. Zapco is the bomb, might be expensive from time to time, but they are worth EVERY penny. There 6 channel amp is just striaght sick. A buddy of mine has rockford fosgate. Personally i'd buy JL Audio speakers before id buy thoes, and let me tell you. I HATE JL Audio with a passion. WAY over rated.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Inifnity and Polk are best for highs
Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 PM

I had a pair of the Alpine Type-S coaxiles in my Celica on a 2 channel 180 Watt Amp, now thoes speakers made some of the best tweet/mid bass combo for coaxiles. Also when i had my "boom boom" in the trunk about 135 DB's (nothing special), i could still hear the vocals good. Instead of the bass over running the vocals.

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
Inifnity and Polk are best for highs
I will give Polk Audio credit for some good highs, but ive seen a buddy of mine blow 2 sets. (and no they wernt hooked up wrong or under/over powered. They don't seem to handle high volumes for excessive times very well at all.

Last edited by Black06SSNA; 05-22-2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-22-2007, 08:53 PM

JL makes great subs and that's about all I would buy. Their speakers are ok, their amps are better than a lot of amps on the market but I still think the 10w7 is the most well rounded, musical sub on the market. In a sealed box with a decent amp it sounds great with any type of music. Well it also helps that I bought it on a vendor accomidation for just over $100. They are definitely over priced and over hyped, people just don't know any better and think that JL is the ultimate in car audio. Theres a lot out there! I don't know what I will do if my w7 ever breaks. Pay retail? Hell no!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:56 PM

any Diamond audio speakers or amps will make your ears happy
Old 05-23-2007, 04:19 AM

Zapco = Insanely expensive, in fact x2 or x3 times more than what you are getting. Buy a different brand.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:26 PM

Wow. No offense but you must not know much about what makes a good audio component. I've never seen another car audio amp that uses a balanced input. A few years selling high end home audio has made me pretty picky about what I subject my ears to, a RF sub and some Kenwood door speakers just doesn't sound like it did when I was younger!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned

it happens
Old 05-23-2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by CullinanCut
in the original post Denniss said the he wanted to replace the stock speakers and change nothing else. Buying a set of components would be the last thing he would want to do in that case. Components are designed to run off of an amp they are power hungry. Giving a set of components the power off of a deck would not only make them sound like ass because they are not getting enough clean power but its going to blow them. The number one reason why people blow speakers is because they under power them, then they crank them up. The clipping and distortion caused by not enough power burns up the voice coil. In this particular situation Denniss would be way better off just buying a set of coaxial speakers that he likes the sound of.

I just replaced the door speakers in my cobalt with a pair of Memphis coaxials that I got for dirt cheap and they sound WAY better than the 300$ components that I had in my Jetta. The difference? Power. I'm using a FAR superior amp now, a Zapco instead of an MTX. The amp makes all the difference in the world!

Speakers aren't blown by underpowering exactly. They're blown when an underpowered source is driving too hard (i.e. it's better to have a 50 watt amplifier running at 30 watts, than a 30 watt amplifier running at 30 watts). Once it hits the higher end of it's power capability, it will distort and get muddy. The stock amp is pretty weak anyways and it would be painfully obvious when the volume is loud enough to start distorting the speaker. Head unit amplifiers are basically just a chip inside that does a rough conversion of power from the battery to the signal for each speaker. However, when they rate the amplifiers for receivers (say, 50w X 4), that measurement is taken at almost 100% harmonic distortion, but it technically can do 50w. It will just sound like ass. Just like anyone else, if it's too loud and starts sounding bad, turn it down. That's the natural reaction anyway. If you can't hear that distortion, something is wrong. A separate amp is always the best way to go, but it doesn't sound like he wants to rebuild his entire system here, especially not spending money on the likes of Zapco. Amazing amps? yes. Amazingly affordable? you have to be joking.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 PM

I don't care if Zapco are the end all and be all of amps, I'm not spending 3~4 thousand for a couple of amps pushing 4x75watts, 2x125watts, and 1x400watts.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:02 PM

I think you can get an IForce 450 for something around 400 dollars retail, it uses a balanced line input for a crystal clear signal and puts out 75 watts into four channels. 400 bucks for 75x4 is not anywhere near expensive! This is the base model Zapco and is still better than anything you can pick up at Circuit or Best Buy which is where most people shop. I googled this amp and saw it for around 250 but I paid around a hundred bucks for it, I happen to know some people in the industry still that hook me up. That said I would gladly pay 400 dollars for this type of performance before I would throw money into a sub par product
Old 05-23-2007, 05:26 PM

Now that the thread has been hijacked a bit I will try to bring it back. I have to say that if you are going to run these speakers off your stock HU you will probably want to go with a brand like pioneer or Kenwood. The others that I have seen that have been said in here will probably require some type of head unit upgrade or an amp upgrade to make them sound nice. While the Kenwoods or Pioneers require less power to give nice sound.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mesatrin
Now that the thread has been hijacked a bit I will try to bring it back. I have to say that if you are going to run these speakers off your stock HU you will probably want to go with a brand like pioneer or Kenwood. The others that I have seen that have been said in here will probably require some type of head unit upgrade or an amp upgrade to make them sound nice. While the Kenwoods or Pioneers require less power to give nice sound.
Back in 2000 when I had my first car (a Saturn SC1), I put Rockford Fosgate Punch 6 1/2" in using my stock cd player. They worked just fine and sounded great.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:58 PM

Fosgate has gone down hill in the last few years IMO. The punch series now I think sound like trash and I went through 3 P3 12 subs in 5 weeks. They were perfectly powered and installed correctly in a to standards sealed box. The construction quality has just degraded. If you are going with Fosgate you alomst need to get with the power series to get something worth the money....Atleast with thier sub production.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:04 PM

Ah, I wasn't aware. Thanks for the info. I was about to buy some 6x9 RF's for the back to go with the old 6 1/2". I guess I can still use the old ones, as they were made 7 years ago and never used. But I would hate to mismatch speakers so I don't know.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by mesatrin
Fosgate has gone down hill in the last few years IMO. The punch series now I think sound like trash and I went through 3 P3 12 subs in 5 weeks. They were perfectly powered and installed correctly in a to standards sealed box. The construction quality has just degraded. If you are going with Fosgate you alomst need to get with the power series to get something worth the money....Atleast with thier sub production.
Much truth in that one. A friend of mine is on his 3rd P2. I told him to ditch them, but hes hard headed.