Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Can I replace stock battery with an Optima red or yellow top?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a red top in my FC RX-7 and loved it! I might upgrade to one in my SS soon.

Ever seen a cleaner non-turbo 13B?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by originaladrian
U mean those batteries marketed just for car audio? there a scam, way overpriced for a big ass capacitor. A true deep cycle battery works differently. with the optima you have TONS of reserve power and a very good charge/discharge rate. The most stable batterie i personally have ever used.
I keep hearing good things about these optimas. I would have had mine already but the damn snow here hasnt stopped all day... we have close to 30cm and counting now from just the past few hours. costco has the yellow tops on for 150$. pretty good price!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:01 PM

The only issue you'll have is the Yellow top is a bit taller than the stock battery, so your trunk carpet will sit up just a bit higher. Other than that it's a direct fit. I've had my yellow top since my Neon, and when I traded that in I got a cheap Autozone battery cuz there was no way I was givin up a battery that I Paid $160 for. I ran with the stock battery for a while but finally put in the yellow top. Now I can be grilling out on my patio and roll down the windows and have some tunes for a few hours.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by tricky1
The only issue you'll have is the Yellow top is a bit taller than the stock battery, so your trunk carpet will sit up just a bit higher. Other than that it's a direct fit. I've had my yellow top since my Neon, and when I traded that in I got a cheap Autozone battery cuz there was no way I was givin up a battery that I Paid $160 for. I ran with the stock battery for a while but finally put in the yellow top. Now I can be grilling out on my patio and roll down the windows and have some tunes for a few hours.
i dont think my trunk carpet sits higher...

but ya i love the fact that i can work in my garage and have music from my car

Last edited by originaladrian; 03-08-2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm going to be replacing my stock battery with maybe an Optima when the time comes.
Visionz, can you write a how to/review on it when you get a chance?
Old 03-08-2008, 07:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ViSiONZ
There's actually a better one then the yellow top?
yes there are several batteries much better then the yellow top but i wont get into that

U mean those batteries marketed just for car audio? there a scam, way overpriced for a big ass capacitor. A true deep cycle battery works differently. with the optima you have TONS of reserve power and a very good charge/discharge rate. The most stable batterie i personally have ever used.
i was speaking of the carquest NGT extreme. and its not marketed to anyone anywhere. It has slightly better specs then the optima and it has a much better price. Now if you were talking about the kinetik that i rave about then yes they are a much better battery. And if you think im full of **** then i would be glad to have you pick both of them up and then tell me what u think (i can also show specs but i have a feeling that wont get thru)

I keep hearing good things about these optimas. I would have had mine already but the damn snow here hasnt stopped all day... we have close to 30cm and counting now from just the past few hours. costco has the yellow tops on for 150$. pretty good price!
In the end optima has the name and its going to have the rep. If you research batteries quite a bit you would find out that most batteries are actually mad by one company, rebranded and sold to various companies but everyone tries to keep it hush hush. Optima actually isnt a rebranded battery but interstate made sure of that when they bought out the company so they can market it as such a "one of a kind, superior" battery.

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 03-08-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
yes there are several batteries much better then the yellow top but i wont get into that

i was speaking of the carquest NGT extreme. and its not marketed to anyone anywhere. It has slightly better specs then the optima and it has a much better price. Now if you were talking about the kinetik that i rave about then yes they are a much better battery. And if you think im full of **** then i would be glad to have you pick both of them up and then tell me what u think (i can also show specs but i have a feeling that wont get thru)
no no, im not like tht, if im wrong im wrong, so specs away. i saw a few really expensive one without the reserve power and at a much higher price. the yellow tops last an extreamly long time and can be charged and recharged a crazy amount.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS 16
I'm going to be replacing my stock battery with maybe an Optima when the time comes.
Its really easy since the stock batt has top posts... all you do is yank them off remove the old batt and but them back on. I would recommend to anyone thou to replace at least the "terminal" on the power side because gm didn't make it very tight and it tends to come loose easily.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:55 PM

Its really easy since the stock batt has top posts... all you do is yank them off remove the old batt and but them back on. I would recommend to anyone thou to replace at least the "terminal" on the power side because gm didn't make it very tight and it tends to come loose easily.
hes rite, i replaced both of mine with these really trick steel ones with extra clamps for watever i want
Old 03-08-2008, 08:33 PM

no no, im not like tht, if im wrong im wrong, so specs away. i saw a few really expensive one without the reserve power and at a much higher price. the yellow tops last an extreamly long time and can be charged and recharged a crazy amount.
yes it is an agm deep cycle but when compared to the other agm deep cycles out there its not the best. Compared to a normal battery then yes it is superior
Old 03-08-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS 16
yeah I will. In a few days when I can actually get out of my damn house to get the battery if it ever stops snowing!

How much would a better terminal cost anyways? I'm guessing not too much?? How long would it take to replace it?

Last edited by ViSiONZ; 03-08-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
If anyone would like an Optima Battery, PM us we will hook you up
Old 03-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
If anyone would like an Optima Battery, PM us we will hook you up
I will be looking for one when I get the SS/TC....
Old 03-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Send us the part number you would like, via PM, and we will get you the price.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:29 AM

yeah I will. In a few days when I can actually get out of my damn house to get the battery if it ever stops snowing!

How much would a better terminal cost anyways? I'm guessing not too much?? How long would it take to replace it?
new terminals can be bought from walmart, autozone ect... they usually run about 5 bucks or so each
Old 03-09-2008, 06:46 AM

new terminals can be bought from walmart, autozone ect... they usually run about 5 bucks or so each
By terminal, you mean the cables/wires attached to the battery? *sorry, noob question*
Old 03-09-2008, 01:03 PM

Yeah thats what he means
Old 03-09-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Send us the part number you would like, via PM, and we will get you the price.
Maybe if we can get enough people together like 10 can you do a possible groud buy?
Old 03-09-2008, 04:54 PM

no u dont have to swap the entire wires and stuff. Swap the actual metal piece that connects to the battery thats the terminal
Old 03-09-2008, 06:22 PM

All my stuff was installed by a professional that ive known for years. I just need a new battery because my stock one has gone to **** now that my car got boosted by my friends camry the other day because I left my lights on all day/night.

Im not sure if the stock battery can be recharged or anything. I could barely start my car today. Plus I am going to have a lot of new electrical mods done to my car in the near future & I like to turn my music up really loud with out having my lights dim on & off like im flashing my high beams at someone . The 1 farad cap that I have is decent but when I turn my bass up full & volume up almost full, the flickering begins & its especially noticeable at night.

That just might be an option but I have alot of stereo bulk in my trunk already & don't know if there is room for 2 batteries.
Is this even possible? The cobalt has battery rundown protection and will shut the interior lights off (as well as the headlights as long as its on auto mode) on its own if the battery gets too low. Are you saying you put the headlights on manual ON and left them on? Any reason why?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by smartmlp
Is this even possible? The cobalt has battery rundown protection and will shut the interior lights off (as well as the headlights as long as its on auto mode) on its own if the battery gets too low. Are you saying you put the headlights on manual ON and left them on? Any reason why?
Yeah, I manually put them on because there was a bad storm outside but it was still sunny & I didn't want just my daytime running lights on, I wanted all my lights on. When I got out of my car in a hurry I didn't hear the warning chime for some reason "stupid me". Maybe it was because I worked a 12 hour shift & then got stuck behind a snow plow for almost 2 hours.

no u dont have to swap the entire wires and stuff. Swap the actual metal piece that connects to the battery thats the terminal
Oh, OK! I had a feeling it was just that metal piece that sticks out. I didnt want to change any wires & stuff. I'm no electrician Thanks for the info once again.

Last edited by ViSiONZ; 03-09-2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Not a Sebring

Originally Posted by KillerBee
Maybe if we can get enough people together like 10 can you do a possible groud buy?
Im so down for a group buy on a red top. Not really interested in a yellow top though......those are more for the hardcore stereo guys. I just want a nice starting battery and i'll be happy.

TurboTech.....make it happen!