Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Can you add a second stock sub?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I add a second stock sub?

I've got an '06 SS with the pioneer system and access to a second stock sub. Is it possible to hook up the second stock sub up to a stock amp?

I'm not really looking to spend any significant money at this time. The second sub is actually coming to me at essentially no cost, since my dad rebuilds salvaged cars, especially Cobalts, and often has left over parts from parts cars.

Thanks!

Last edited by Militant_Jurist; 06-03-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
you could but you would need to buy a box for it
Old 06-03-2009, 08:27 AM

Excellent. Would it be possible to mount it on the other side of the trunk, as a mirror image of the original? I have to haul a lot of material in my trunk, so I'm hoping to avoid a box; however, if it must be a box, I could do that.

Also, what would the wiring be like? Does the stock amp have an extra connection point to hook up the 2nd sub, or would I need to splice the two subs together? Same goes for the power, what would be the best way of providing power to the 2nd sub? I've done a bit of electrical work before, but it's been limited to residential and PC wiring; I've never don't automotive, so I'm hoping for a KISS (Keep It Stupid Simple) approach.

Edit: Actually, looking at the audio pinout sticky, would I be hooking the second sub up to the B1 and B2 pins?

Last edited by Militant_Jurist; 06-03-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 AM

you could but why would you want to its just going to take power away from the system unless you upgrade the amp and then you got some work to do, but it is doable.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by 06'L61'Balt
you could but why would you want to its just going to take power away from the system unless you upgrade the amp and then you got some work to do, but it is doable.
It's always been my understanding that if you wire two subs in parallel, you actually increase the overall power of the system. Is this not correct?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 AM

if you lower the resistance of the two subs yes the amp sees lower resistance the stock amp might not be capable of lowering resistance and heat up quick and may overload.
"In a perfect world with a perfect amplifier, power output would double every time the impedance was halved. For example, an amplifier rated at 50 watts RMS x 2 channels into 4 ohms would produce 100 watts by 2 into 2 ohms. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world, and most amplifiers can't do that."
Old 06-03-2009, 12:24 PM

I take it then that you think I need an aftermarket amp in order to power the factory system including a second stock sub. What specs would I need for such an amp? How many watts, channels would I need, and any particular features that would necessary. I may be open to procuring an inexpensive amp through ebay, if the price is right.

From what I've gathered, the Pioneer system (and I'm assuming each year of the SS models have the same system) is a 270w, 6 channel, and is 2-ohm stable.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:33 PM

the stock amp and wiring can barely handle 1 sub, connecting another one would make it worse. you'll need to split in an after market amp if you wanna do anything useful
Old 06-03-2009, 12:40 PM

If I truly must get a new amp, perhaps a Alpine MRP-F300? They say they are 4 channel though, so would that be a problem for hooking up the front, rear, tweeters, and 2x subs? However, it also say "Line Outputs: This amplifier has a pair of non-fading stereo RCA line outputs. You can use these outputs to daisy-chain another amplifier without having to run additional signal cables from the receiver." which I take to mean that I could actually use the stock amp to run the tweeters and front speakers, and the F300 to run the pair of subs and rear speakers?

Last edited by Militant_Jurist; 06-03-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:48 PM

I've done some further reading, and I believe I may have come up with a plan (assuming splicing the subs would not work).

Could I run the stock amp with the tweeters, side speakers, and stock sub #1, and an Alpine MRP-F300 in 3 channel running the rear speakers and stock sub #2?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 PM

good luck with that one.PITA
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by swazzees
good luck with that one.PITA
Haha I'm used to that. This car is one that my dad and I rebuild from salvage. I'm also a fan of home woodworking, and DIY home remodeling. What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Militant_Jurist
I've done some further reading, and I believe I may have come up with a plan (assuming splicing the subs would not work).

Could I run the stock amp with the tweeters, side speakers, and stock sub #1, and an Alpine MRP-F300 in 3 channel running the rear speakers and stock sub #2?
you could but then you would have to find a three channel amp one that can run that kind of setup but they are hard to come by but this one is pretty good for your setup and can run 3 channel and provide some power.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:37 AM

quick question, do you already have the 4 channel amp? if not i would do something like a 200w rms 2 channel amp something like the rockford fosgate P200-2 for the subs only. and leave the speakers/tweets off the stock amp
Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
quick question, do you already have the 4 channel amp? if not i would do something like a 200w rms 2 channel amp something like the rockford fosgate P200-2 for the subs only. and leave the speakers/tweets off the stock amp
No, I don't have anything other than the stock system and the second sub. I'm just exploring alternatives, at this point, so if I do have to pick up a new amp, I'm open to all suggestions.

If I do go the Rockford route, how do I hook up the Rockford along side of the stock amp? From what I was reading, this particular amp requires an in-line fuse between itself and the "distribution block." Also, would I bridge that amp, or would I run one sub per channel?

Thanks EmperorJJ1!

Last edited by Militant_Jurist; 06-04-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:05 PM

No, I don't have anything other than the stock system and the second sub. I'm just exploring alternatives, at this point, so if I do have to pick up a new amp, I'm open to all suggestions.

If I do go the Rockford route, how do I hook up the Rockford along side of the stock amp? From what I was reading, this particular amp requires an in-line fuse between itself and the "distribution block." Also, would I bridge that amp, or would I run one sub per channel?

Thanks EmperorJJ1!
if your using the rockford amp you can use a LINE OUTPUT CONVERTER for RCA's from the output of the factory amp , or use the input of the factory sub for the LINE OUTPUT as well. Some people also use the plug that comes with the amp and just run wires , but i prefer the line output converter B/C it has some level control on it. Battery and ground are in the trunk . and on some models the RAP wire (ignition turn-on until door is open) or (amp turn-on) is at the fuse box in the trunk as well. AND i stress that it is only on some models. (kinda like a shot in the dark) and depending on what sub (and ohm impedence) it has will decide what you do as far as bridging or not. But my guess is probably bridging. it would be cool if you could Mirror the sub box ,but that wont work with the factory enclosure ,would have to be hand made to work. good luck!
Old 06-04-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks EmperorJJ1!
yes you would need to do basically a complete aftermarket amp install. which isnt too difficult but requires a few things. You don't necessarily have to get a fosgate amp but they are good quality and would work perfect for the 2 stock subs.

You would want to hook each sub up in series individually then bridge them both on the 2 channel. Also as said above you would use a LOC off the current stock sub output.

I know this is a bit confusing but when it comes down to installing anything ill be glad to do a step by step. Your main worry at this point is fabricating a fiberglass or whatever box on the opposite side of the trunk and buying the amp and wiring kit ect
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the help everyone! It looks like once I get the next paycheck, I'll be ordering an amp. I'll most likely be taking you up on the offer for a step-by-step. Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:02 AM

just thought about this... with dual 2 ohm subs you cant use a 2 channel u need a mono block. damn im retarted

so looked around and couldnt really find anything good 200w thats a mono. so youll have to bump it up to a 300-1 or similar

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 06-05-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM

just thought about this... with dual 2 ohm subs you cant use a 2 channel u need a mono block. damn im retarted

so looked around and couldnt really find anything good 200w thats a mono. so youll have to bump it up to a 300-1 or similar
Would an MTX Terminator TN250 or Orion Cobalt CO500 work? Or perhaps a Kenwood KAC-6104D?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:43 PM

dont do the kenwood 6104d....its only good for about one sub, weak amp!...the MTX might do the trick depending no ohm allowance!

he could do dual 2ohm on a two channel, But only one sub! just wire it down to 4 ohms and bridge the amp

Last edited by ctcsoccer7; 06-05-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ctcsoccer7
dont do the kenwood 6104d....its only good for about one sub, weak amp!...the MTX might do the trick depending no ohm allowance!

he could do dual 2ohm on a two channel, But only one sub! just wire it down to 4 ohms and bridge the amp
Won't wiring the subs down to 4 ohms drop the potential power? I'm going to be getting the 2nd sub this weekend, so I'll probably try to buy a sub soon. I'd like to keep it around $150 for the amp, so whatever will be the best buy AND get the job done would be best.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by ctcsoccer7

the whole point is to add a second sub. if he only runs one sub then its best to leave it on the stock amp and not have this conversation

the mxt is an alright amp but not something that id normally "recommend"... dont get me wrong its the best of that bunch but nothing special. Kenwood is crap and orion cobalt looks nice but thats the end of that there. I was super excited when they first came out because the look nice and are cheap. but like all things that are cheap theres a reason. they are tiny and inside is the same as the dei Xtreme amps... garbage sadly

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 06-06-2009 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-06-2009, 10:00 AM

the mxt is an alright amp but not something that id normally "recommend"... dont get me wrong its the best of that bunch but nothing special. Kenwood is crap and orion cobalt looks nice but thats the end of that there. I was super excited when they first came out because the look nice and are cheap. but like all things that are cheap theres a reason. they are tiny and inside is the same as the dei Xtreme amps... garbage sadly
Would the MXT be a good amp within that price range? Will it provide enough power at 100 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (200 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 AM

ya i mean anything you do is going to be more power then stock. i think i calculated it before and it was something like 78w max power so at 100 rms per sub at 2 ohms u would be doubling that. The only issue i can foresee on that amp is cranking the settings too high. as long as you don't expect a crazy jump in volume when its all said and done you will be fine. when its all said and done you should get about double the volume bass wise. turning up the amps settings to get more is really just a good way to blow everything up

Quick Reply: Can you add a second stock sub?