Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Can you add a second stock sub?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, that part I'm still good on. What I'm confused about is where the sound input for the Kicker will come from. Will I be wiring 4 lines into a LOC and then 2 wires from it into the amp? It just sounds confusing because it sounds like sub1 will be hooked up to 2 amps, if I'm supposed to just splice into the stock amp to sub1 connection.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Militant_Jurist
Yeah, that part I'm still good on. What I'm confused about is where the sound input for the Kicker will come from. Will I be wiring 4 lines into a LOC and then 2 wires from it into the amp? It just sounds confusing because it sounds like sub1 will be hooked up to 2 amps, if I'm supposed to just splice into the stock amp to sub1 connection.
ok ...im with ya....NO you were right unplug the harness going into the factory sub and use that as you LOC wires and then run rcas from the LOC to the amp. You might want to pull the factory sub out and rewire it and run your own wire from it to the kicker amp. ( IE SAME THING ON THE OTHER SUB) I pulled the sub out on the one i bought, rewired it and drilled a small hole where the factory red and black wires were going in and just made it alittle bigger to run my own wire out and siliconed it closed! there is a 8mm bolt on the back of the sub box holding the sub in place.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:52 PM

Ok, that makes sense. I've drawn up what I'm envisioning this to look like (it's crap, but it's Paint).

Is this right?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 PM

Ok, that makes sense. I've drawn up what I'm envisioning this to look like (it's crap, but it's Paint).

Is this right?
not quite, one its not positive or negative from the LOC its RCAS, and the subs are wired wrong, you need a positive from one voice coil to the negative of the opposite voice coil, and the run the last positive and negatives to the amp. if you look at you crutchfield thing its right, just real close together.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 PM

I just want to have something drawn up so that I don't forget the changes from the crutchfield version.

How about this:

Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 PM

I just want to have something drawn up so that I don't forget the changes from the crutchfield version.

How about this:

yep there ya go! you got it!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ctcsoccer7
yep there ya go! you got it!
Great! Thanks for all of the help thus far. I think I've found a decent wiring kit, which I believe has everything I need (including the RCAS?), other than the LOC. Is there a particular LOC that you would recommend for this?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 PM

Great! Thanks for all of the help thus far. I think I've found a decent wiring kit, which I believe has everything I need (including the RCAS?), other than the LOC. Is there a particular LOC that you would recommend for this?

the one at bestbuy is pretty descent, like 25 dollars and has adjustable gains on it, as long as the one you get is adjustable , should be fine!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Like this? It's $15.99 on their website.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 PM

Like this? It's $15.99 on their website.
yeah that should do just fine!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 PM

Excellent! Well, now all I have to do is take the second sub out of the parts car and get everything else purchased. Thanks for all of the help! I'll be sure to post once I'm doing the actual work.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:59 PM

Excellent! Well, now all I have to do is take the second sub out of the parts car and get everything else purchased. Thanks for all of the help! I'll be sure to post once I'm doing the actual work.
cool look forward to the finish product!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM

I just thought of another thing, having recalled that you mentioned running the Kicker 400.1 on your factory sub.

I'm not sure when I'll be picking up the 2nd sub (it's buried in my dad's auto shop right now), and I'll have the new amp in well before the sub gets dug out. How did you wire up your factory sub to the amp? If it's alone on the amp, will it be more likely to be blown out?
Old 06-12-2009, 05:42 PM

I just thought of another thing, having recalled that you mentioned running the Kicker 400.1 on your factory sub.

I'm not sure when I'll be picking up the 2nd sub (it's buried in my dad's auto shop right now), and I'll have the new amp in well before the sub gets dug out. How did you wire up your factory sub to the amp? If it's alone on the amp, will it be more likely to be blown out?
no , just wire it at 4ohms like you were going to, so your ready when you add the other one. I posted some pics of mine on here yesterday. Sounds good and clean
Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Excellent! I've got everything on order, and it seems like I'll be able to hook it up without having to wait on the second sub. I can't wait!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:48 PM

Excellent! I've got everything on order, and it seems like I'll be able to hook it up without having to wait on the second sub. I can't wait!
post pics of your work, as i did as well!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 AM

I've finally gotten everything together, including the 2nd sub, so I'm going to start wiring soon! I want to snap a couple of photos during the process to post here, so it won't be happening today, as I'll be in court for the entire afternoon and working late into the evening. I'll try to have the photos taken and posted here probably on Thursday night.

I've decided to not build a sub-box, since that would just drag things out even longer. Instead, I'm going to secure the stock sub to the trunk floor covering (the hard cover over the spare well).

Also, I don't want to cut off the plug that goes to the input of the original sub; I'm thinking about just sticking the LOC wires into the plug, and taping it up. Any problem with doing that?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:42 PM

I've finally gotten everything together, including the 2nd sub, so I'm going to start wiring soon! I want to snap a couple of photos during the process to post here, so it won't be happening today, as I'll be in court for the entire afternoon and working late into the evening. I'll try to have the photos taken and posted here probably on Thursday night.

I've decided to not build a sub-box, since that would just drag things out even longer. Instead, I'm going to secure the stock sub to the trunk floor covering (the hard cover over the spare well).

Also, I don't want to cut off the plug that goes to the input of the original sub; I'm thinking about just sticking the LOC wires into the plug, and taping it up. Any problem with doing that?
just strip them back and wire it in!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Good call. That's what I'll do!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
infinite baffle using the stock hardboard trunk floor probably wont work well.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 PM

UPDATE:

So, I mounted the amp and the sub, and ran wire for everything. I still have to run the remote turn-on to the RAP, and I had a bit of trouble finding a good way of hooking the Kicker up to the (+) pole on the battery.

There just wasn't any good place to attach a terminal. I ran out of time anyways, so it was a good time to reach that problem. Should I just forget the terminal, loosen the hook up to the (+), and run the wire directly into the (+) hook-up?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
on the terminal isnt there a spare area to add extra devices? just need a 10mm nut
Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 PM

Ok, I think I know what you're talking about. I may have to adjust that stupid little red plastic cover so that the 4 gauge wire will actually fit!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:37 PM

what would look really clean is a mirror image box like the pioneer on the left side to the right side. I wonder if anyone ever managed to fab one up....
Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Herndon_High_SS
what would look really clean is a mirror image box like the pioneer on the left side to the right side. I wonder if anyone ever managed to fab one up....
yes its been done!

Quick Reply: Can you add a second stock sub?