Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

car computer and radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car computer and radio

the radios are tied into our computer, removing the radio could lead to problems. I recently brought my car to the dealer because my radio kept saying lock. They installed a new program in the radio. Also one of my speakers was having a problem so they ran a diagnostic through the radio and dertermined what was wrong with the speaker. If the radio wasn't connected to the computer how could they do all these things?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:59 PM

maybe your stock amp does it, as far as i know the radio is not hooked to the computer. your amp could have been sending the signal perhaps.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 PM

i don't have the pioneer system though. if they can upload a new program for the stock radio then it's connected somehow
Old 11-17-2006, 01:13 PM

bump
Old 11-17-2006, 08:30 PM

dont bump a thread 12minutes after...

05-06 radios are NOT connected to the computer. i believe the 07s are (not 100% on that). and i dont see how they could run a diag. through a radio to test a speaker. theres many ways to test, but unless theres some sort of processor on it, i dont see that working.
i think maybe your dealer was bs'n you
Old 11-17-2006, 09:09 PM

that makes sense, what about them uploading new programs for the radio to work properly?
Old 11-18-2006, 02:52 AM

usually if a stock radio goes out, they just drop in a new one...
Old 11-18-2006, 03:44 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
or depending on if it has gms "theft lock" thing they may have needed to enter the little code... but i dont think our radios have the theft lock thou
Old 11-18-2006, 12:45 PM

ya same here I've never heard of a radio connecting to the radio on our cars and I install at circuit city
Old 11-18-2006, 04:07 PM

if you look at the tsb for the radio lock: it's says they have a update program for the computer to have the radio function properly.. whatever that means
Old 11-19-2006, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sunrise_mj
dont bump a thread 12minutes after...

05-06 radios are NOT connected to the computer. i believe the 07s are (not 100% on that). and i dont see how they could run a diag. through a radio to test a speaker. theres many ways to test, but unless theres some sort of processor on it, i dont see that working.
i think maybe your dealer was bs'n you
There is definitely some communication with the computer. The factory stereo gets it's turn on signal from a data line from the computer (which is why there's no switched 12v back there). Also, from what I've understood when GM hooks up to the computer they can see that the factory radio is not there.

I don't see how they could run a diag through the radio to test a speaker though.......
Old 11-19-2006, 07:31 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandit2941
There is definitely some communication with the computer. The factory stereo gets it's turn on signal from a data line from the computer (which is why there's no switched 12v back there). Also, from what I've understood when GM hooks up to the computer they can see that the factory radio is not there.

I don't see how they could run a diag through the radio to test a speaker though.......
not sure if this would work but if they can see if the radio is oem im sure they put a function where it could be turned on to be "tested" have signal sent to all speakers and see if the signal returns... no signal means bad speaker or wiring
Old 11-19-2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
not sure if this would work but if they can see if the radio is oem im sure they put a function where it could be turned on to be "tested" have signal sent to all speakers and see if the signal returns... no signal means bad speaker or wiring
I suppose they could test for an open circuit.......but they could just test for an open circuit by turning the radio on and seeing if the speakers play

It's not like they can run a diag and find a blown speaker (well, unless it blows and makes an open circuit)......
Old 11-19-2006, 05:58 PM

the radio and onstar all have connections to the ecm for the security system. if you got a "locked", this means the ecm detected a problem with the security of the radio and locked the radio.
i dont think what the dealer told you is bullshit, but you should get printouts of the os versions you had and what they upgraded you to.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned

The radio IS connected to the entire car computer system. (I work for a dealer and we unlock radios all the time) We run everything through your OBD II diag. port underneath your steering wheel/ knee cover. Every module in the car is connected to the OBD II port and each module can also talk to one another. Its a GM LAN system in EVERY CAR. So yes your radio is connected to the computer, because your radio yourself is a module (computer) thats how your radio locks in the THEFT DETERANT mode, it uses a computer module.

They ran tests through a TECH 2 which hooks up to the OBD II port and they turn the radio on, then have the ability to "test" or turn each speaker on and off individually.

So in review, every major component in your car is controlled by a module, some 14+ in your vehicle, each has the ability to talk to one another and all come together at your DIAGNOSTIC OBD II port.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
The radio IS connected to the entire car computer system. (I work for a dealer and we unlock radios all the time) We run everything through your OBD II diag. port underneath your steering wheel/ knee cover. Every module in the car is connected to the OBD II port and each module can also talk to one another. Its a GM LAN system in EVERY CAR. So yes your radio is connected to the computer, because your radio yourself is a module (computer) thats how your radio locks in the THEFT DETERANT mode, it uses a computer module.

They ran tests through a TECH 2 which hooks up to the OBD II port and they turn the radio on, then have the ability to "test" or turn each speaker on and off individually.

So in review, every major component in your car is controlled by a module, some 14+ in your vehicle, each has the ability to talk to one another and all come together at your DIAGNOSTIC OBD II port.
So what exactly happens to the computer when you remove the radio?? does it just lose the ability to read the radioa and thats it? will this cause problems in the future?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06

CORRECTION - Computer info centre is connected to the radio if your car came with XM satellite radio and/or ON-Star. If you dont have XM or ONSTAR then go ahead and remove the radio completely. there will be no ill effects. If you have these features then you can get a wire loom the allows for the install of the stock radio in the trunk (extends stock connections) then you can install an aftermarket radio. pain in the ass but is possible.

your testing through OBDII is related to onstar. without onstar it no longer applies.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

I dont know about "ill effects" but your radio is still a module in the car and is communicating with everyother module in the car.
The OBD II still applies to the basic radio, I've had the tech 2 hooked up to a basic radio in my car and its still a module that needs to communicate. ONStar has its own seperate module and reciver opposite of the radio.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:17 PM

I'm with Rally yellow here, I've worked on a few of these cars, The Stock radio does comunicate with the Computer in the Car, but basically it says "I'm here" if it's there....There is no need to "keep" the stock radio wired up in the trunk, but if your dealer is a dick they could show you that you screwed up the computer cause it can't talk to the new radio. (As in test the modules and use that to screw you on something else, or atleast try to use it to say something else is screwed up.) Anyway, the Radio does talk to the computer.