Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

In car surveillance System

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In car surveillance System

Hey Guys,

I am looking to design a car surveillance system and want to see what everyone's thought are.

Main reason for this system.

Record daily drives to use as evidence in an accident, stopped unlawfully by police and possible discount on insurance.

Other reasons
Use as evidence for other individuals misfortunes if witnessed

Use to catch local crimes and vandals in the area or if your car gets broken into.

Could also be used for fun as well when you want to catch your random race events without having to fiddle with the record button on your GoPro or ReplayXD

This is the equipment I came across that I may use.

Mini 4 Camera Vehicle DVR And 4 Camera Kit

Tiny Four Camera Vehicle DVR With GPS And 3G

Mini 4 Camera Vehicle DVR

Automobile

Its pricey but you pay to play and if it ends up being beneficial why not.

The nice thing about this equipment is it can be concealed so it won't have the bulk that most camera's have. The DVR's can use up to I believe a 2TB HDD, 64gb SD card. They should be sufficient enough to record even long trips. The DVR is compact and will not take up much space and hooks up to a 12v DC power source. It can be setup to record when motion is detected or when it is just turned on. So my thinking is if you leave it powered on and hook it up to a power source that comes on then the ignition is turned on it should start recording right away.

Let me know what your thoughts are all criticism is accepted.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:56 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
probably not a huge market for it
Old 05-18-2013, 05:41 PM

I am not really looking too much into a market for this. If there ended up being one that would be great though.

Mostly looking for it as a peace of mind for myself and I think it would be a cool project.

Last night when I got off work at 1am would actually have been perfect to have something like this installed. I had a police officer come flying up behind me on a 2 lane hwy while I was in the right lane going 55. He jumps over to the left lane and forces this van to move over in front of me and flew down the road. No lights, siren, nothing. That kind of stuff burns me to no end when they are supposed to be role models for other drivers and they think its ok to break the laws while everyone else gets ticketed for breaking them.

Least in the event that there is an accident your involved in you have video proof rather than relying on a statement to the insurance company. Which usually leave you wondering who they are going to say is at fault especially if it is completely someone else fault.

Could definitely use this to capture things while driving that you may have missed initially or if on a long trip maybe scenery that you want to take pictures of but can't since your driving and other things. Could have some uses I would think as long as the video quality of the cameras are decent. Might even be cool to look back on this stuff when your old and relive some of the memories with your kids that will now be grown. Just my two cents. I really thought it was a dumb idea until I really let the idea sink in and the uses that it could have.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like one
Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
its a good idea just costly for the equipment. Eclipse came out with something like this as an add on to their dvd HU's just before they stopped north america operations. it looked really nice but expensive. i know the equipment costs have reduced since then but still people are cheap
Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it were a ferrari I would spend thousands on equip...but its a cobalt and equip might cost more than the car...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 PM

Better idea to park in view of security cameras. Plus that camera isn't going to do much when a vandal comes in with a crowbar, ski, mask, and gloves.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am just going to try the $25 ebay ones that record off the ignition to a 32g sd card, not really HD but close .
Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 AM

Yes, it would definitely be a good idea if you could park by security cameras. Unfortunately in most residential neighborhoods there are not usually any of those around. I do agree that if a vandal with a mask crowbar and gloves came around it would probably be pretty useless let alone they would probably steal the system to along with whatever else lol. So guess there would be no more proof, other than a busted up car... On another note though as with anything nothing you do as far as security is solid. Ultimately you can have a million dollar security system but if someone really wants something they will find away to get it. All security systems are just a deterrent to try to keep things from happening or maybe give a better response time to catch the crime.

If this was a Ferrari or any other extremely high end car, it would be locked up tight in a garage/vault. No way would it ever be left out in the open and out of my sight for too long lol. There would be way too much temptation there. But if you could afford that type of car you should be able to afford the security for it. Being that our cars are just Cobalts I really have to say that for the guys with the SS model 20,000 to 25,000 is not exactly a cheap car either unless you got one heck of a deal on it. They definitely are not some car you will just buy and throw away for something new.

I definitely would not want any of the new GM cars unless it is a Regal GS or a Z06 Vette. All the engines in most cars now are getting smaller just so they can have better fuel economy. Don't get me wrong with the cost of gas now that is not exactly a bad thing, but for the guys that love performance you get less HP and Less Fun. It would take way too much money to put into the car to even try to get it to the performances the cobalts can achieve. All the cars that still have the T/C Ecotec engines are also heavier now too.

I Looked at some of troughs cheap dash cameras on ebay and amazon but for me personally they don't fit the idea I was looking for. They ultimately achieve the same basic goal. They just tend to be bulky and with the screen attached to most it may be a bit distracting IMO. I am still looking for other equipment but this seems like the best I found except I am not fond that it is imported from china... Would like something just as good but maybe cheaper or figure out a way to design it myself.

Thanks I really appreciate everyones input please feel free to continue adding any thoughts or questions.