Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

CD player install ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD player install ???'s

Ok, I think I have realized that there aren't any good stereo shops in the gulf shores area....lol.

I need some help on how to install my Alpine CDA-9815 into my 2006 Cobalt SS. I do have premium Pioneer sound, but I don't have OnStar. The one shop that I talked too locally said that it would cost like 600 dollars in parts and labor to have it done.

The shop I talked to there has never put one in a cobalt so they didn't know what they were talking about. Then they called another guy who was to them "god" in car stereo installations and he said that it would be very difficult and expensive to do. I then asked him if the guy he called had ever done one and he said, uh, no but he is like, really, really, good. I was like, whatever.

Here's the deal, I have a friend of mine that used to work at a stereo install shop and can help me with the install. All I wanna do is install the cd player and retain the XM radio, possibily go to sirius. I have done some searches but there are no definitive answers on exactly what I need to do and so forth. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Later,
Vince.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Vman81
Ok, I think I have realized that there aren't any good stereo shops in the gulf shores area....lol.

I need some help on how to install my Alpine CDA-9815 into my 2006 Cobalt SS. I do have premium Pioneer sound, but I don't have OnStar. The one shop that I talked too locally said that it would cost like 600 dollars in parts and labor to have it done.

The shop I talked to there has never put one in a cobalt so they didn't know what they were talking about. Then they called another guy who was to them "god" in car stereo installations and he said that it would be very difficult and expensive to do. I then asked him if the guy he called had ever done one and he said, uh, no but he is like, really, really, good. I was like, whatever.

Here's the deal, I have a friend of mine that used to work at a stereo install shop and can help me with the install. All I wanna do is install the cd player and retain the XM radio, possibily go to sirius. I have done some searches but there are no definitive answers on exactly what I need to do and so forth. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Later,
Vince.
good news bad news situation...there is as far as i know no way to interface the factory xm to your alpine radio....i believe someone did a walk through on how to make the fact antenna work but thats about it you would have to go w/aftermarket for xm the radio that you have is compatible w/xm you would just need to get the tuner box and adaptor for a alpine radio...crutchfield has both these items for around 100 bucks...now as far as changing your radio yes it's possible no it's not difficult and its not expensive...i know they are probaly more expensive then most places but i work at best buy we have the dash kit harness and ant adapt you need the dash kit is for the new malibu it's a metra kit can't think of the number off the top of my head and the harness is a 70-2003...the only thing w/that is the pins in the harness are in the wrong spot you just have to look at the harness, print out the fact wire colors...search my posts i have posted them b4... and then move the pins to the right spot..also you can check around and see if they have a better harness for it but i know that one works...hope that answers your questions if you still have any pm me or hit me up on aim rd112884...later
Old 01-31-2006, 07:27 PM

I just redid my entire system myself. I had the "god" speech from someone too and told them to go #@%$ themselves. I replaced tweeter, front, rear, head unit, added an amp, box, and music keg, and have sirius sat which required extra parts, and had to get specs from GM to put it all in. I don't think you can retain the xm radio so just buy the sirius kit and install it yourself, it's pretty easy. You'll lose steering control of the radio but they make a kit for that as well. If you need specs I got em, helped A LOT!!! And if you add a box, turn it the opposite way, sounds killa!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by cravnspeed
I just redid my entire system myself. I had the "god" speech from someone too and told them to go #@%$ themselves. I replaced tweeter, front, rear, head unit, added an amp, box, and music keg, and have sirius sat which required extra parts, and had to get specs from GM to put it all in. I don't think you can retain the xm radio so just buy the sirius kit and install it yourself, it's pretty easy. You'll lose steering control of the radio but they make a kit for that as well. If you need specs I got em, helped A LOT!!! And if you add a box, turn it the opposite way, sounds killa!
Dude, do you have AIM? And if so what's your s/n?

Later,
Vince.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:42 PM

The deck install on a cobalt is cake. I did my friends. Im a car audio installer. It took all of an hour to do and only costed him in parts...bout 40 bucks for the dash kit and wire harness. ne questions how to put the radio in..get back to me
Old 03-19-2006, 11:44 PM

yeah man, it is cake...... you can get an xm direct adapter for like 30 bucks, and it will wire right up to the alpine unit......
Old 03-20-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by iLLmaTic3s
The deck install on a cobalt is cake. I did my friends. Im a car audio installer. It took all of an hour to do and only costed him in parts...bout 40 bucks for the dash kit and wire harness. ne questions how to put the radio in..get back to me
Do you have part numbers for the items you need and a place where I can get them from?

Thanks,
Vince.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:29 PM

go to crutchfield.com. but the parts you need are...

HARNESS- GM 2002-up 24PIN HARNESS (item # 120702103)
DASH KIT- Chevy Malibu Kit (# 142GM1587B)
ANTENNA ADAPTER- GM Antenna Adapter (# 12040GM10)

The dash kit fit the cobalt. its just really a multi kit for the newer chevy's. any other questions ask me.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:16 AM

i will have a dash kit in a couple weeks for sale for 10 bucks.... if you are interested, it is the adaptor so an aftermarket cd player will fit in the dash
Old 04-18-2006, 12:16 AM

I dont want to get rid of my onstar, is there no kit for the onstar on the ss or do i only have the option to get rid of the onstar.