Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Citizens Band Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Citizens Band Radio

I figured since I searched and came up with nothing this could be a start for those with CB radio's in their cars. I just got done installing my 2005 Cobra 29LTD Classic, since I don't use the normal radio I mounted the antenna in the stock location. It is "peaked and tuned" at about 40 watts with a Astatic mic, 20 ft coax and a 102" whip. Pics will be up soon.

Unfortunately I am having issues with it. I calibrated it to manufacturers specifications but am only able to hear people within around 100 yards... Before I bought it used it was in my friend's Peterbuilt which I had used it many times and range was around 20-30 miles. He ran the Astatic mic, a different 20 ft coax and a shorter whip mounted on his drivers side mirror. He had no amp for it which is what concerns me... if anyone has any experience with calibrating CB's please throw me some info on how to fix this issue. Thanks!

Travis.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You're using a 102 inch whip on... a Cobalt? That's more than a little overkill.

Make sure the radio is getting adequate power and very good ground and that the antenna is well grounded too. By adjusted to manufacturers spec i assume that means you adjusted the SWR? What did it come out to on channels 1, 20, and 40?

By the way, the long flat surfaces on a truck provide a nice ground plane, which the back fender on your car doesn't. You will not get the same range on your car that you can on a truck, roughly half to 3/4.

I always ran my Galaxy's and my kickers directly to the battery for power and to frame for ground. I also always ran a ground wire from the antenna bracket to the truck frame.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Breaker Breaker one - niner, you got your ears on good buddie.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
You're using a 102 inch whip on... a Cobalt? That's more than a little overkill.

Make sure the radio is getting adequate power and very good ground and that the antenna is well grounded too. By adjusted to manufacturers spec i assume that means you adjusted the SWR? What did it come out to on channels 1, 20, and 40?

By the way, the long flat surfaces on a truck provide a nice ground plane, which the back fender on your car doesn't. You will not get the same range on your car that you can on a truck, roughly half to 3/4.

I always ran my Galaxy's and my kickers directly to the battery for power and to frame for ground. I also always ran a ground wire from the antenna bracket to the truck frame.
Sorry I remeasured it while at work today, only 84". I wanted it for the RC look. I am looking for a small flag to put on the end for sh*ts and giggles.

My power is from the stock amp fuse in the passenger side center console since I do not have a factory amp or factory sub. It is grounded to a bolt on the floorpan under the center console with scraped paint and dielectric grease. The antenna mount is in the trunk on a structural piece near where the bolts go to the stock antenna. The mount is a clamp/screw style so it ground through the paint but I don't know if that was good enough or not. Would 12G speaker wire be good enough of a ground for the antenna if grounded on the negative of the battery?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
Sorry I remeasured it while at work today, only 84". I wanted it for the RC look. I am looking for a small flag to put on the end for sh*ts and giggles.

My power is from the stock amp fuse in the passenger side center console since I do not have a factory amp or factory sub. It is grounded to a bolt on the floorpan under the center console with scraped paint and dielectric grease. The antenna mount is in the trunk on a structural piece near where the bolts go to the stock antenna. The mount is a clamp/screw style so it ground through the paint but I don't know if that was good enough or not. Would 12G speaker wire be good enough of a ground for the antenna if grounded on the negative of the battery?
Don't use the battery, find a good chassis ground. I don't like to use speaker wire for that kind of thing, but I am sure it'll work fine.

The problem with a whip that long is that as you drive it lays down flat. With a flag it'll be even worse. You have to ask yourself whether it's more important to look good, or to work good.

You didn't answer the part about SWR. That's the most important part.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Don't use the battery, find a good chassis ground. I don't like to use speaker wire for that kind of thing, but I am sure it'll work fine.

The problem with a whip that long is that as you drive it lays down flat. With a flag it'll be even worse. You have to ask yourself whether it's more important to look good, or to work good.

You didn't answer the part about SWR. That's the most important part.
Well it is general purpose 1000W Radio shack shielded wire, not really speaker wire but I used it to run my speaker output on my amp to my subs.

Believe it or not at 70 it really doesn't lean much but almost a foot of it is below the grommet so that probably has something to do with it. I agree about the flag part but I figured it would still have a little more range, the farthest I have been able to talk to someone was when I was cruising down I-95 @ 70MPH and was around exit 42 and spoke to someone around exit 30...

And yes it was the SWR. Channel 19 is at the CAL line but I haven't checked the others.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

I don't know what that even means without looking at that particular radio. You should be below 1.5:1 on average, across all channels.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 PM

The gauge on the front left has a calibration mark, mine is calibrated to the mark on channel 19 according to the directions by Cobra:

"While holding mic
button adjust the
SWR CAL knob so the
meter needle swings
to the CAL t mark on
the meter (located on the right)."

"When switched to SWR position
the meter needle should ideally
be as far to the left as possible.
Anything over 3 is not acceptable.
A slight antenna height
adjustment (higher or lower)
may be required. Repeat relcalibration
steps."
Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Exactly. Anything over 3 on any channel is not acceptable. So follow the instruction you just posted and check the numbers.

So what does it read on 1,20, and 40?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 PM

Exactly. Anything over 3 on any channel is not acceptable. So follow the instruction you just posted and check the numbers.

So what does it read on 1,20, and 40?
1, 19, 20, and 40 on the SWR switch it is sitting right at 1.5-1.7 and gently fluctuating.

On the CAL switch it is sitting around 4 which is where the CAL mark is.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

ok, the way it works is put it on channel 1. Set it to CAL, key the mike and turn the SWR knob till it hits the mark, then flip it to SWR and while still holding the mike and then see what the reading is.

Then do the same on 20 and 40.

If your SWR is 1.7 to 1.5 then you're as good as you're going to get. If you're at exit 42 and are talking to exit 30 in a small car like a Cobalt you're doing about what you should be.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 PM

^^^ that is what I meant when I was referring to "CAL switch" and "SWR switch" I calibrated it right. I meant I put the switch in CAL, held mic, adjusted, moved it to swr while still holding mic, read needle.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 PM

Pics of my whip: Trying the RC car look:

I didn't realize my buddy got me leaning on the car when I was on the phone: