Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Concerns About Putting In Aftermarket Deck

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerns About Putting In Aftermarket Deck

Okk....

so the other day my little brother wanted my to install a Pioneer Deck in his 200 Sunfire... When i went out to get the conversion harness @Future Shop the local Car Audio Tech told me i have to get a Relocation harness or a harness to keep the door chimes....

no i have also heard that if the deck come out it could screw up the Air-Bags and pretty much the rest of the car because it has something to do with a security feature built into the ECU of the car that checks for the radio and if not there the airbags can deploy....

my question is I have purchased almost everything but the conversion harnss factory deck to aftermarkt, and a deck itself... everything else i have (Din Sized Shrod, JL Audio 500/1 and the JL 10W7 in the jl box) so i have spent a pretty pennie already...

any one with a non stock deck having any kind of problems.. when removie the factory deck

apparently it is eveyrthing from 2000+

i found this basic unit to keep door chimes... (but everthing i read is about keeping door chimes, nothing to do with security)

and this one which actually puts your stock deck in the trunk
Old 01-05-2006, 08:45 PM

i think the relocation one is for the security features. also are u talking about the sunfire or ur cobalt? have u installed a aftermarket headunit in ur cobalt yet?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 PM

i got told the same thing when i wanted to replace the one in my cobalt. but it htink its one of those things that depend on what model. mine is a base model and nothing has gone wrong. its also been in there so long that there wasnt even a harness for it. I had a tech at cartoys rewire a harness that fit to make it work. Now that i think back, they even told me it would throw a CEL. But no problems yet in my base 05.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:15 PM

well it was about the sunfire....
\but they told me it would be any chevy, gm, pontiac that is year 2000 and newer

and i really really want an aftermarket deck to go with my amp and sub...
Old 01-05-2006, 11:58 PM

u can install a aftermarket headunit in ur car with no problem.. we have the lan system as opposed to the gm bus II system what your audio advisor is telling you. several people have installed a headunit in these cars and you do not need a expensive wire harness. go on crutchfield they have everything u need.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:37 AM

Had a 02 sunfire which i had to install the new deck that way. I bolted the old one down in the trunk and the wires connected everything. The long harness should have a plug to put a mini speaker on so you get the door chimes, mine was similar to what you showed above. Whether or not it was all needed is another story.

I had already bought the cable, so i just did it. If you go that route, i do suggest the chime speaker. I got stuck twice, from having left the headlights on without realizing it, and locked the keys in the ignition once. You won't realize how much not having it sucks until you do something like that.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:37 AM

I found that crutch field does not deliver to Canada...

any one have an idea where i can pick up the harnesses in canada including the one to keep the steering wqheel controls
Old 01-06-2006, 10:53 AM

i had a 2003 cavalier and i used the relocation cable. i ran it to the back and just made a bracket for the factory headunit and mounted it right to the side of the box. then i stuck the door chime speaker in the dash above the heater box. as much as it sucked to still have it in the trunk it was all behind the seat i never saw it to care.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:36 PM

wait is actually possible for the air bag to deploy by chaning the headunit in the cobalt?? does anyone know this information?
Old 01-06-2006, 02:05 PM

no no no nothing to worry about the cobalt....... apparently as stated about by hardtocope which Chevy has a new system which will not interfer with anything....

so go ahead and install your decks.... cause i am going out this weekend to get one...

hahaha. I wana a Pioneer AVNC1 or AVNC2 but have to save some money.. so i think im gpoiung panasonic ....
Old 01-06-2006, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a new HU in my ex's 2k3 cavalier(which should be the same as the sunfire) as well as my 06 ss. I didn't use the relocation harness in either, as per crutchfield. The cav lost its door chimes which is annoying. I really don't think crutchfield is going to sell you anything that is going to make your airbags deploy so if they say its ok without the relocation harness, then I would say that its ok.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:14 PM

mugencivicsi how does ur system sound with the factory headunit and the jl sub?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:58 PM

Just changed the deck on my base Cobalt, no problem with door chime. Only problem I have is that the deck doesn't work when I turn the key to ACC. I plugged it to the wiper fuse as indicated, and used the proper wiring kit.

anyone know why it does this?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:11 AM

the windshield wiper fuse only gets power when the car is on not in acc. does all of your gas milage and so on work?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 AM

if we cant use the wiper fuse on acc, what fuse can i use on acc? i have a base pusuit 2006 with NO options. the sunroof fuse isnt wired to the box, the door lock fuse is always on. there is an "amp" fuse (20), i don't have the pioneer system so why would they put a fuse in? anyideas on this guys?
Old 01-07-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by forcedgminduction
i got told the same thing when i wanted to replace the one in my cobalt. but it htink its one of those things that depend on what model. mine is a base model and nothing has gone wrong. its also been in there so long that there wasnt even a harness for it. I had a tech at cartoys rewire a harness that fit to make it work. Now that i think back, they even told me it would throw a CEL. But no problems yet in my base 05.
Glad we could help
Old 01-07-2006, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've had my alpine for a few months and no problums! i just have the normal cheep harness from crutchfeild. i dont have my stearing controls or door chims but the remote works great! lol good luck!
Old 01-07-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by mugencivicsi
no no no nothing to worry about the cobalt....... apparently as stated about by hardtocope which Chevy has a new system which will not interfer with anything....

so go ahead and install your decks.... cause i am going out this weekend to get one...

hahaha. I wana a Pioneer AVNC1 or AVNC2 but have to save some money.. so i think im gpoiung panasonic ....
Don't be a quitter go with the AVICN2 its got the cool little flip out. The D1 is the dinky little double din, if you want a double din i would suggest the AVN5435 or you could upgrade to the AVN5495 with the built in hard-drive.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 06black
i've had my alpine for a few months and no problums! i just have the normal cheep harness from crutchfeild. i dont have my stearing controls or door chims but the remote works great! lol good luck!
You can implement the steering wheel controls if you purchase the SWIX for $80, also runs about $80 on the labor side.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mugencivicsi

apparently it is eveyrthing from 2000+

i found this basic unit to keep door chimes... (but everthing i read is about keeping door chimes, nothing to do with security)
I had this for my 2002 Cavalier and it worked fine. It's just a speaker that works as your chimes instead of coming through the drivers side door speaker. This unit it very loud and works fine as the chimes
Old 01-07-2006, 05:56 PM

why keep the door chimes? its quite annoying
Old 01-07-2006, 08:50 PM

I just did some research and seems like the GMLAN system won't operate properly when the factory headunit is removed. You won't notice any difference in your vehicle opeartion but if you can not get ur vehicle serviced due to the GMLAN system disfunctioning. I hope someone comes up with a nice wire harness to fix this.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:16 PM

Yeah, i would really like to put a deck in my 05 base coupe but have been told that if i do so than i will lose the trip information center. I would rather not lose that, are there anyways around that or was the guy who said this retarded?
Old 01-08-2006, 11:20 PM

i baugh a Stinger line converter which was roughly 50bucks.... it sounded ok, but because of the $1000+ 10W7 and $800+ i think i ran it for about a week before i decided to unhook it all again....

the 10 was loud on some songs, but lack on others becuase i think the votage out was really bad compared to a head unit that might have a 3V - 5V preout.....

i just got a deck today (well a friend and muself) just picked up a Tracker for 3bills and it had a nice mp3 JVC deck in it (so technically) we paid for the deck and got the car free, so i should be putting it all in soon,,....

im gonna get a **** load of Stinger Twisted Speaker Cable cause im gonna run all new lines to everything bevause i dont wanna use the factory amp
Old 01-08-2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by NoleafClover
Yeah, i would really like to put a deck in my 05 base coupe but have been told that if i do so than i will lose the trip information center. I would rather not lose that, are there anyways around that or was the guy who said this retarded?

i went to a local installer, and they told me there is a deck install kit that put the information down in where the small cd space would be on the ss/sc version... i will try and get a part number and a pickture if i can......For the base coablt it would be great for you ... because the SS/SC has it all in the dssh., and i had to argue with the guy that i had a Superchanged version and that it was in the instrument cluster....

Quick Reply: Concerns About Putting In Aftermarket Deck