Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Coupe Front Door Tweeter Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe Front Door Tweeter Mount

Hi. I was looking to install a pair of tweeters into the front door panels. I was thinking of cutting a 3.25" hole somewhere forward of the cabin door handle. The depth of the tweeter is no more than 1inch. Before I start do you think there will be ample space for the tweeter to mount flush with the door panel?

Also is there a conveinent location to place the crossover which came with the components somewhere behind the door-panel?

-sk
Old 05-06-2007, 09:14 AM

I just did this, i mounted mine in the black sail panel on the top corner of the door panel (the same place as the pioneer tweeters in the SS) Any theres room for the crossover below where the speaker mounts in the door panel
Old 05-07-2007, 01:07 AM

Let me take a pic during the day and it will help clarify things. I was thinking more like 2" forward of the door handle.

-sk

Old 05-07-2007, 01:06 PM

Look in the top right of the door panel, see the tweeter? Thats the best spot for sound imaging
Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xavipheus

Look in the top right of the door panel, see the tweeter? Thats the best spot for sound imaging
Actually, it's not. The tweeter being so far away from the midrange driver causes confusion and peaks in the frequency response particularly around the crossover frequencies. Mine are mounted there; its ok for some music but I can often hear the harshness due to the distance between the drivers. I'm planning on getting some CDT imaging tweeters to put in my sail panels then relocate the main tweeter near the midrange driver, so I have one point source but also the high sound stage of tweeters up top.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Xavipheus

Where I placed the yellow circle is actually where I want to mount the tweeter. Is there enough space behind there for a 1" mounting depth tweeter?

-sk
Old 05-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
yes there is tons of space pretty much everywhere behind that panel
Old 05-08-2007, 12:45 PM

I would move it down and put it some where closer to the woofer but that is just me. Make some sort of angle mounting directed at you. There is enough room behind there anywhere. Even with the window down you have about 3 inches of room.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by mesatrin
I would move it down and put it some where closer to the woofer but that is just me. Make some sort of angle mounting directed at you. There is enough room behind there anywhere. Even with the window down you have about 3 inches of room.

I understand the angle part, but is there any benefit to having the tweeter any closer to the woofer?

And if I were to cut a hole for my tweeter would a craft/exacto knife be enough or do i need a drill?
-sk

I also want to install a 6.5 where the red circle is. How much mounting depth do I have behind that panel in that location?

Last edited by sp00n; 05-08-2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-08-2007, 01:30 PM

You get alot cleaner sound when the tweeter is close to the woofer. You want the waves from the two different speakers coming from the same basic area to elimitate harshness. It will also cut out some of the very minor delay in sound that you might occur, this could be from the angle of from, the wave travel distance, or even the small amount of resistance that your wire will give. Some of these end up being more physics theory based than actual application based (most of these mesurements are so small that they are pretty much neglectable).

As far as what you will need to cut it, and exacto knife will probably take a good bit of work, but will probably be possible. I would use a Dremil tool with a cutting bit. The exacto knife would be good for scarring so you know what path to follow though.

Where the Red circle is I think you may run into metal right there. I am not absolutly sure, it has been a while since I looked and I also have the LS with man. everything. But the window will probably come down further in that section of the door and it looks a little more shallow in that area just from the picture. And not to mention if you have a 2 door that is basically in your back seat. I don't see a speaker in that area doing much for sound quality or even doing that much for SPL.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:46 AM

make custom kicks and put a midbass in the door. Hopefully I will be starting on mine in a few weeks.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
Actually, it's not. The tweeter being so far away from the midrange driver causes confusion and peaks in the frequency response particularly around the crossover frequencies. Mine are mounted there; its ok for some music but I can often hear the harshness due to the distance between the drivers. I'm planning on getting some CDT imaging tweeters to put in my sail panels then relocate the main tweeter near the midrange driver, so I have one point source but also the high sound stage of tweeters up top.
Wouldn't it be better to put a 3" or 3.5" midrange close to the 6.5" and putting the imaging tweeters in the sail panels as you mentioned instead of having two tweeters?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:13 AM

Red Circle Question

Take for example the red circle. If i wanted to mount a set of 6.5 coaxial speakers there how would I go about doing that?

The question I am asking is how would I mount or secure the speakers to the door?? I think screwing the speakers to the plastic door panel would be unwise for sturdyness. What if I had a ring cut out made of mdf or something solid, placed it behind the plastic door panel, and using screws, screw the speaker through the door panel and into the ring behind. Would that be enough to secure the speaker?

If you have any ideas please let me know. Once I install new speakers in the stock location, i'd like to do all this work at once. I'll take photos once the door panel is off to offer some ideas and insight.

-sk
Old 05-12-2007, 03:19 AM

the best way would probably be to fab up a box that fits behind the panel and is independant of the panel itself then cut a hole in the panel
Old 05-12-2007, 03:48 AM

Box for door.

Okay, like a sealed box for my speakers or something open air? Also would I mount this box to the steel door or just to the door panel?

-sk
Old 05-12-2007, 12:24 PM

well sealed boxes tend to sound better with midrange drivers but some ask for a free air application so see if the speakers you want needs the free air and if not hit go sealed... mount it to the steel door and reason why i say this is because that panel is plastic and you want support
Old 05-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Theres no point to putting the speaker there and theres no depth in that area anyway unless you cut the metal on the door, in which case have fun with that whole glass window thing being there and all