Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Couple upgrade questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple upgrade questions!

Hey all.

I'm totally illiterate when it comes to anything car audio / electronics related. So, sorry for my ignorance, and these probably seemingly obvious questions.

I've done my fair share of research, and I've learned a lot. So, I hope you don't just think I'm being lazy and rude by asking for help. There's always a ton of conflicting information on internet.

Anyway, I currently have an 05 Cobalt Coupe. I purchased it used from someone who had bought it as a second car, so it only has 24,000 KM's on it, not bad for an '05.

First thing I thought I'd upgrade is my audio system. I'm going to hold off on the subwoofers and amp for now, and buy a quality one when I can. Just going to start small. I don't plan on getting anything crazy, either, probably just a single 12".

Anyway, looking at replacing my stock deck, as I've already had it replaced under warranty twice. Damn thing!

I have an older one (about 3 years, still new though ) that I've been given. I'm assuming it's better than the stock one, however, with how fast technology advances now, you can never be sure.

It's a KOSS one, 160 watts. Just a cheaper system. I actually couldn't find any websites with more information on it, (I can provide more information if needed)

KOSS Car Audio 160 Watts CD/CD-R/CD-RW MS2005

Would something like this be an upgrade over the stock deck? Is there some sort of formula to determine whether it's actually compatible or not?

Also, was lookin' at replacing the stock speakers with something a little nicer.

The two 6.5" ones in the front doors, and the 6x9 in the rear. Is it as simple as that? Can you match sizes and simply add the new speakers, or since they are (I think) attached to the bracket that is attached to the door, will I have to cut a section out of my door and do a little tinkering?

Would the changes be enough to warrant needing a new battery to prevent dimming, etc?

Thanks a lot, it's appreciated.

EDIT:

-shrug-

Don't know if any of these pictures help any. Again, sorry, I don't get any of this electrical stuff!

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5365/img0172xi7.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2143/img0178ll4.jpg
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1588/img0179rz8.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6573/img0180xl5.jpg

Last edited by McKeough; 05-11-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-11-2008, 06:05 PM

160 watts should definetly be an upgrade to the stock deck. It will sound a lot better im sure, as all of the decks I replaced allways made my stock speakers sound better. You can get the wiring harness you will need from crutchfield. The brackets should be fine, those are quite common size speakers, so they will be easy to find. No, you should not experiance any dimming and will not require a better battery.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by SSRedSC
160 watts should definetly be an upgrade to the stock deck. It will sound a lot better im sure, as all of the decks I replaced allways made my stock speakers sound better. You can get the wiring harness you will need from crutchfield. The brackets should be fine, those are quite common size speakers, so they will be easy to find. No, you should not experiance any dimming and will not require a better battery.
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

What exactly is a wiring harness? Is it just something which will connect the after market deck (via crimping?) and than it should just clip / snap into the plug that the factory deck was plugged into, and the other end into the new deck?

So, basically, it connects the old wires to the wires from my new deck?

I think... that's what it does. Heh.

And this is needed, right? Like, there's not one with my old deck, and the plugs aren't like universal, or something?

Ok, so you're saying that I'll be able to replace the factory speakers with aftermarket ones assuming they're the same size, WITHOUT having to remove anything / do any modifications to the door?

Like, the new ones should slip into place of the old ones, and hook up with the same wires?

Last edited by McKeough; 05-11-2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Correct:
The wiring harness is to connect your deck with the factory wires that come out of you stock deck. The wiring harness will connect to the clips that came out of your stock deck and give you the same color coded wires that your after market deck has( you will have to connect via splicing ).

You will have to splice the wires ( I imagine ) to hook up your after market speaker. They may have compatable clips, I dont know. I think you will end up splicing them, which isnt a big deal at all. Should take a minute per speaker to do.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:21 PM

Correct:
The wiring harness is to connect your deck with the factory wires that come out of you stock deck. The wiring harness will connect to the clips that came out of your stock deck and give you the same color coded wires that your after market deck has( you will have to connect via splicing ).

You will have to splice the wires ( I imagine ) to hook up your after market speaker. They may have compatable clips, I dont know. I think you will end up splicing them, which isnt a big deal at all. Should take a minute per speaker to do.
Awesome. Thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate it!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Any time man.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Hmm...

If you get another minute, could you take a look here and show me which wiring harness I'd need?

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/category_s/103000.htm

I've looked at the ones which say Chevy / GM and the site says they're all not compatible with my car. Sorry to be a bother.

I'm from Canada, which is why I'm using the Canadian site, of course.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:21 PM

Just call them, I always have. That takes the guess work out of it. They will know exactly what you need.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 PM

OK, last thing I promise!

I have a couple of wiring harnesses which camp with the deck. Is there anyway to determine whether they're compatible or not without... well, trying?

Thanks again!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:12 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
ok lets try and get this taken care of... Koss deck might be a step up from stock but probably not much. All the harnesses u have included in the box are for the deck only u still need the harness for the car. i have a few harnesses and their part numbers listed in the FAQ. id suggest reading it. Its stickied in the electronics audio video section