Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Custom Box

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom Box

This is a Question for all the installers/shop owners
I want to have a box made for the car, it will be a box/amp rack combo
I would like it to wrap around in a U shape at the front of the trunk facing the rear, with the subs on the sides facing slightly in and back, I'd like to be able to mount the amps on the back of the box, so when the seats are folded down you would just see the two amps, and on the other side in the middle of the U the x-over could be mounted.
I don't need to have it fiberglass, MDF and some carpet is good enough, It must be ported and I'm guessing it would have to be built in 2 or 3 pieces.
What I'm asking is whats a ball park figure on getting something like this made?
I have no idea what it might cost (well I have a slight idea but I don't know if its even close) and I don't want to go have them take the time to draw something up unless I have the cash to go ahead with it.
Like I said just a rough guess.
Oh yeah the subs are 2 JL 10w3's the amps are 2 JBL 600.1 II and the crossover is an audio control 6XS, but I might swap the x-over for something else, I'm not really impressed with it.
Any help would be great, Thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
mmm 250 or so... but even though u want to mount the amps on the box i wouldnt recommend it. vibrations are bad for amps i would know
Old 04-03-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
250? Idk about that. depends on where you live, around here nothing custom is below $400. It sucks.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:57 PM

Here's what I did with mine. I'm not too concerned about vibrations because there is a port between the back of the box and the amp rack (see cut-away of box). My amp rack has 5/8" spacers between it and the box with a ton of 1" holes drilled in the back of the rack for enhanced cooling. The box is rock solid, so vibrations are minimal. I'm only running a single 10w6 with about 580watts RMS, so it's not too intense. 2 10w3 should be pretty decent.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 PM

mmm 250 or so... but even though u want to mount the amps on the box i wouldnt recommend it. vibrations are bad for amps i would know
I didnt want to mount the amps on the box so to say, I was hoping for it to be in 3 pieces, the two boxes being seprate, and the amp rack in the middle, but when in place look like they were all one piece. Thanks for the advice though, last thing I need to do is rattle a cap off the board or anything along those lines. Sounds like you did some damage by doing this. Hope it was to your car not a customers (lol)

Thanks for responding guys, so just to clarify, If I walk in with $500-600 (Can) this should get me what I need or at least get me most of the way there. I was banking on it being about $1000.00 so this helps alot.

One more question- The box I have now has sloted ports but I'm a fan of the old round ones, is there anything better about the slot ones of is it just the new style

Last edited by Spun; 04-03-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 04-05-2008, 04:55 AM
Banned

i have 2 10W3's and they bump hard.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:23 PM

go talk to Mike at Soundsgood auto in coquitlam, he's like an expert and im pretty sure he will hook you up with a decent price

SoundsGood Auto
3-910 Tupper Ave
Coquitlam, BC

(Its inbetween the ikea and the ICBC claim center)
Old 04-05-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Spun
I didnt want to mount the amps on the box so to say, I was hoping for it to be in 3 pieces, the two boxes being seprate, and the amp rack in the middle, but when in place look like they were all one piece. Thanks for the advice though, last thing I need to do is rattle a cap off the board or anything along those lines. Sounds like you did some damage by doing this. Hope it was to your car not a customers (lol)

Thanks for responding guys, so just to clarify, If I walk in with $500-600 (Can) this should get me what I need or at least get me most of the way there. I was banking on it being about $1000.00 so this helps alot.

One more question- The box I have now has sloted ports but I'm a fan of the old round ones, is there anything better about the slot ones of is it just the new style
ya it was my car but... when going to a shop that you dont really trust dont tell them how much u want to spend. I personally as a salesman would give who ever the exact same prices but others will try to bump them up a bit once they hear your budget. Like i said i would do it for ~250 US since its not really that hard but getting others to even attempt is going to be an issue

have fun looking and post up pics eventually
Old 04-07-2008, 05:32 AM

go talk to Mike at Soundsgood auto in coquitlam, he's like an expert and im pretty sure he will hook you up with a decent price
Thanks I was going to take it to CarTunes since they do such good work, but I know I would have been raped over the price. This is why I open this thread so I wouldn't get it so bad

I was looking through the web sit for Soundsgood, they sell Hush-mat, which seems to be cheaper than dyno, is this stuff any good or is it a knock off, anyone have any opinions?

EmperorJJ-Why do you think it will be an issue for other to do the work, just wondering so I'm ready for anything they will throw at me., I tend to get frustrated easy