Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Custom In-Dash LCD

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom In-Dash LCD

I am wondering if there is anything out there that is a touchscreen LCD that is completely button free as a headunit. I want to put an in-dash dvd in to replace my stock headunit, but don't want one of the ones that slide out and then popup. I would rather have an actual indash screen flush where the headunit use to be, and if possible, button free (touchscreen only).

Does anything like this exist? I am going to a local Car Audio shop to see what they can got and can do. They are suppose to be the best in town so we will see.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
I am wondering if there is anything out there that is a touchscreen LCD that is completely button free as a headunit. I want to put an in-dash dvd in to replace my stock headunit, but don't want one of the ones that slide out and then popup. I would rather have an actual indash screen flush where the headunit use to be, and if possible, button free (touchscreen only).

Does anything like this exist? I am going to a local Car Audio shop to see what they can got and can do. They are suppose to be the best in town so we will see.
Well, Kenwood makes one but I would not recommend it. The best way you can go is the Pioneer AVIC-D1. It has built in GPS and a whole bunch of other useful stuff. It does NOT have a built in DVD player though if tha's what you are looking for. Go ahead and PM me if you want more info. I have installed many Pioneer products so I can give you a hand!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...219118,00.html
Attached Thumbnails avic-d1.jpg  
Old 11-28-2005, 01:11 AM

would you be willing to post a pic of what that looks like in your ss?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:29 AM

would you be willing to post a pic of what that looks like in your ss?
I have the AVIC-N2 which is like big brother to this. It actually slides out and pops up. My camera is like 4 years old too so the quality isn't too hot.
Attached Thumbnails 110-1078_img.jpg   110-1080_img.jpg  
Old 11-28-2005, 01:37 AM

I noticed that everyone who puts in an aftermarket headunit, they always put the unit in the upper half of the spot where the old headunit was. Are you able to install the headunit in the lower half of that hole so that when it folds out and up, it doesnt block the air vents or go as high?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:01 AM

I noticed that everyone who puts in an aftermarket headunit, they always put the unit in the upper half of the spot where the old headunit was. Are you able to install the headunit in the lower half of that hole so that when it folds out and up, it doesnt block the air vents or go as high?
Yes, I beleive you can turn it upside down and do it like that. It will not go as hign and probably won't block the vents like it does when you put it up top. It doesn't bother me though I rather have the screen higher. It is just a matter of personal preference. Next time I take it out of my dash I'll try flipping it and seeing how that would work out.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:15 PM

I went to that audio shop, they are recommending a brand called Eclipse? Any experience with them? The one he showed me was very nice, it has a silver trim and would match perfectly. Only thing is that it won't support my already XM, just sirius.

I believe it is this one.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn5435.html

EDIT:
I just found this too, any comments?
http://themobilevideostore.com/produ...roducts_id/416
Old 12-05-2005, 09:50 PM
p7x

Im thinking about this one

Kenwood DDX 7017

Old 12-06-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by p7x
Im thinking about this one

Kenwood DDX 7017

I like your style, the popup monitors just do not do it for me and our cars definately have enough space to put that one in there might as well use the space that GM gave us for something that is cool.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my boyfriends shop installs a lot of flush mounted headunits and tvs. when i get around to adding something to my car we will probably doing something in dash. so much nicer and less cheap looking then a flip out..

here are a few links to some pics of places he has molded screens.
http://audio-xtc.com/portfolio/TC.htm
http://audio-xtc.com/portfolio/kenny.html
http://audio-xtc.com/portfolio/mavz.htm
http://audio-xtc.com/portfolio/navigator.html
Old 12-06-2005, 03:34 PM

I want a nice flush one as well, it just seems all the ones I see don't have all the features I want.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what features do you want? I am still toying around with building a car PC, then you can just build whatever features you want into it. Flush mount screen is nice and give an OEM feel/look.

You could fab up something to hold this LCD in place and build a PC around it.

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/ca...it.A/id.401/.f
Old 12-06-2005, 09:09 PM
p7x

Originally Posted by jtohio4002
I like your style, the popup monitors just do not do it for me and our cars definately have enough space to put that one in there might as well use the space that GM gave us for something that is cool.
Thanx, with the room why not! And I love the way it will look in the car and has a dvd and cd slot behind it...just sweet!
Old 12-06-2005, 09:12 PM

Hey i just got mine in ill show pics tomorrow when i get my camara its a Double pane Pionner head 6.5in LCD fits perfect ill get the Make Number... did it at my dealer that i work at..... Pics to come Looks Great WORKS GREAT WITH THE SYSTEM
Old 12-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Doc

Lil Blue SC Hey i just got mine in ill show pics tomorrow when i get my camara its a Double pane Pionner head 6.5in LCD fits perfect ill get the Make Number... did it at my dealer that i work at..... Pics to come Looks Great WORKS GREAT WITH THE SYSTEM
I can't wait....
Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 PM

Hey ur in Va arnt you?
we could meet up and see it in person
Old 12-06-2005, 09:33 PM

I went to that audio shop, they are recommending a brand called Eclipse? Any experience with them? The one he showed me was very nice, it has a silver trim and would match perfectly. Only thing is that it won't support my already XM, just sirius.

I believe it is this one.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn5435.html

EDIT:
I just found this too, any comments?
http://themobilevideostore.com/produ...roducts_id/416
the eclipse double dins supposed to be good, my brother one of the top custom installers here was gunna hook me up with one, but with christmas commin up, i dont have $1800 to waste on myself quite yet, so im gettin the kenwood double din most likely last years model, cuz this years model doesnt really have any added features that i care about. ill get some pics when i get a hold of the deck and get it in.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by stealththx
Well, Kenwood makes one but I would not recommend it. The best way you can go is the Pioneer AVIC-D1. It has built in GPS and a whole bunch of other useful stuff. It does NOT have a built in DVD player though if tha's what you are looking for. Go ahead and PM me if you want more info. I have installed many Pioneer products so I can give you a hand!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...219118,00.html
how come u dont recommend kenwood? ive had 4 of there decks, 2 of the old school ones, and 2 of the flip up monitor, never had any prob with any of them ever. also friends of mine who have kenwood and brother like and havent had any probs with em. maybe a bad experience?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Doc

Lil Blue SC Hey ur in Va arnt you?
yeppers...I was at the beach friday...had a x-mas party. drank a little too much.
That sounds good. Gimme a call at 651-5623 anytime.

Frank

p.s. how do you make the originally posted appear...
Old 12-07-2005, 04:20 PM

Hey Frank if ur intrested man on Sunday in Pungo there is a time attack thing 20 buck 3 laps a few of my friends are gonna go... and saturday if it doesnt snow we might be able to get up i go out to little creek they have the ""get togethers"" out there ill give u a call friday night to see whats up
Old 12-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Doc

kewl, sounds great.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by zinner
what features do you want? I am still toying around with building a car PC, then you can just build whatever features you want into it. Flush mount screen is nice and give an OEM feel/look.

You could fab up something to hold this LCD in place and build a PC around it.

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/ca...it.A/id.401/.f
That would actually be even better probably. Only thing is, is there software/antenna for radio FM/AM/XM? Also CD slots would be where the cimputer is, hard to access.

Main features I am looking for are:

XM, DVD Video, Nav, 2 Din Design, able to play dvd or cd while driving and using nav, Support for rear monitors, ipod support, would love to keep steering wheel controls.

Now the pionned avic-n2 has all these but is a single din slide out. The eclipse avn7000 is also another good one, but it too is a single din slide out.

Also, has anyone put monitors in their ss's headrests? Are they too small or could you fit some in there?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:35 AM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
the metra kits are for a single DIN radio
the computer is under the hood
and the steering wheel control interface only has one supporting harness (alpine)
WILL BE AWHILE B4 ITS PLUG AND PLAY
Old 12-09-2005, 10:57 AM
p7x

Originally Posted by stealththx
Well, Kenwood makes one but I would not recommend it.
The kenwood is sweet I Like the pioneer but i dont want somethnig that flips up. With all the room we have in the dash why not use it and the kenwood is almost everything u could possible want in one.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by p7x
The kenwood is sweet I Like the pioneer but i dont want somethnig that flips up. With all the room we have in the dash why not use it and the kenwood is almost everything u could possible want in one.

According to Crutchfield those double din units you have posted will not fit our cars dash opening. I wish I could find one that would because that would be great. Personally if I could get a unit that would work with the stock XM antenna, and interface with the steering wheel controls as well as the Onstar voice activation system I would be happy, from the looks of that fat chance.

J4

Quick Reply: Custom In-Dash LCD