Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

does anyone know how to hook up a sub and an amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know how to hook up a sub and an amp?

i was just wondering if anyone put in their systems by themselves..how do u hook up a sub and amp with the wiring? i have a kenwood HU.and also..my sub operates at 2 ohms so i bought an amp that can run on 2 ohms..now my question is..how to get the amp to run on 2 ohms? i mean is there a switch or somethin on the amp?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:03 AM

Yeah but if you search on like google you'll get a better tutorial.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:43 PM

ok well can some1 fill me in on the ohms thing then?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:49 PM

With the little info given this is just a real brief explination of how to hook up an amp.

1. Pull the head unit from the dash. You will need to do this to hook up the RCA's and the remote turn on wire. If your head unit has three RCA outputs than you use the sub-out. If your head unit only has 2 then you will want to use the rear outputs. You should also look for a blue wire with a white stripe coming from the head-unit wire bunch.

(Different head units do this coloring a different, but the wire will either be solid blue or blue with white stripe, the other one will be for electric antena. If you only get the sub to turn on when the am/fm is on then it is the wrong one. But my alpine is blue with white stripe)

Run these wires to where you plan on having your amp set up.

2. Your amp will need power and ground wires run to it. Since your battery is in your trunk this is easy and will only take a small amount of wire. (You didn't say what size amp you are using so I don't know what size wire to tell you to use but I would use no less than 8 guage wire, but basically as big as will fit into the amp's wire connections...8 or 4 probably.) The power wire will need to be fused. The fuse should be place no more than 3 feet away from the battery. Your ground wire should be atleast the same guage as your power wire and should be no more than 3 feet in length. If you are grounding it to your trunk some where make sure you get all the paint off, a wire tip for a drill works good for that. Or you could just take it back to the battery...I personally don't like to do that because too many things grounded out to the same spot is bad but one exta amp shouldn't matter much.

If you are using a 1 or 2 channle amp everything just plugs right in. RCA's red to red white to white. Power to + and ground to - and then the remote will spot will be found along with the power and gound.

If you are using a 4 channel amp than you will need to get 2 female to male RCA adapters. You will want to split each RCA and then plug them in. ( A 4 channle amp is usually just two 2 channle amps in one casing which is why you need 2 sets of RCA's to get a signal to each internal amp).

That is the basics of how to hook up an amp.

--------------------Now onto getting the sub into 2 ohms--------------------------

If it is a single voice coil sub than the sub must have a 2 ohm voice coil, and you just plug it in and bingo 2 ohms. If it is a 4 ohm V/C and it is only a single coil than you can not get your amp to 2 ohms with only one sub.

If it is a dual V/C sub and they are 4 ohm V/C then you need to hook them up in paralle. If it is dual v/c and it is 2 ohms each v/c then you can't do it.

if this is confusing you then check out here for diagrams.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:54 PM

good post guy, i was going to have to type out the long explation if mesatrin didnt do it
Old 05-31-2006, 04:59 PM

as for ohms... ohms is just a measure of impedance basically how much thump you can put through your speakers... the lower the ohms the harder them bad boys are going to pound... ohms = impedance

soo

if i stood in front of a car when it was running the 1/4 it would run it slower because I ( THE OHM ) have impedded the car ( the bass )

if i moved out of the way faster travel...
Old 05-31-2006, 05:00 PM

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

lots of pictures at the bottom of page
Old 06-01-2006, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by mesatrin
With the little info given this is just a real brief explination of how to hook up an amp.

1. Pull the head unit from the dash. You will need to do this to hook up the RCA's and the remote turn on wire. If your head unit has three RCA outputs than you use the sub-out. If your head unit only has 2 then you will want to use the rear outputs. You should also look for a blue wire with a white stripe coming from the head-unit wire bunch.

(Different head units do this coloring a different, but the wire will either be solid blue or blue with white stripe, the other one will be for electric antena. If you only get the sub to turn on when the am/fm is on then it is the wrong one. But my alpine is blue with white stripe)

Run these wires to where you plan on having your amp set up.

2. Your amp will need power and ground wires run to it. Since your battery is in your trunk this is easy and will only take a small amount of wire. (You didn't say what size amp you are using so I don't know what size wire to tell you to use but I would use no less than 8 guage wire, but basically as big as will fit into the amp's wire connections...8 or 4 probably.) The power wire will need to be fused. The fuse should be place no more than 3 feet away from the battery. Your ground wire should be atleast the same guage as your power wire and should be no more than 3 feet in length. If you are grounding it to your trunk some where make sure you get all the paint off, a wire tip for a drill works good for that. Or you could just take it back to the battery...I personally don't like to do that because too many things grounded out to the same spot is bad but one exta amp shouldn't matter much.

If you are using a 1 or 2 channle amp everything just plugs right in. RCA's red to red white to white. Power to + and ground to - and then the remote will spot will be found along with the power and gound.

If you are using a 4 channel amp than you will need to get 2 female to male RCA adapters. You will want to split each RCA and then plug them in. ( A 4 channle amp is usually just two 2 channle amps in one casing which is why you need 2 sets of RCA's to get a signal to each internal amp).

That is the basics of how to hook up an amp.

--------------------Now onto getting the sub into 2 ohms--------------------------

If it is a single voice coil sub than the sub must have a 2 ohm voice coil, and you just plug it in and bingo 2 ohms. If it is a 4 ohm V/C and it is only a single coil than you can not get your amp to 2 ohms with only one sub.

If it is a dual V/C sub and they are 4 ohm V/C then you need to hook them up in paralle. If it is dual v/c and it is 2 ohms each v/c then you can't do it.

if this is confusing you then check out here for diagrams.
ok thank you for the post..im just not an audio person so i am really confused..ill just post the url for my sub and amp and hopefully you will get a better idea..
heres the link for the sub. http://www.audiobahn.com/Audiobahn06/pages/woofers.html
(its the AW1006T flame Q sub) and the amp link is www.xplodsony.com/index.php?q=products/xplod/amplifiers/XM-D9001GTR/3
Old 06-01-2006, 08:24 AM

You will probably want to run 4 guage power/ground wire to this amp if it will hold it. Or you could get stinger brand wire and use 8 guage. Stinger has more twists and more copper per unit in it than most other brands so they can carry a current better than most other companies. Oh and never buy monster wiring it is a waste of money. I would also fuse your power wire with atleast a 100 amp fuse since the amp itself uses 95 amps of current drain. You want to give it a little bit of leeway but not too much because you want spikes to blow the fuse and save your wire.

This is the wiring you will do for your sub. Your sub has dual voice coils that are 4 ohms each. Wiring your sub up this way will get your amp down to 2 ohms. In the far left of the diagram the + and - there represent the amp outputs. Your amp is only a mono block (it only has one set of outputs) so you don't have to do anything but plug in the wires. I would use probably atleast 12 or 10 guage from amp to sub.

I hope that you are only running the 10 inch woofer because I don't know if that amp will push the 12 or 15. Sony has been known for underrating thier amps and they are not real big in the car audio world. Most people see them as a lower end company. Thier specs are probably run from 14.4V and you will be very lucky if you are giving it 13V with factory alternator and battery, so that 900x1 you probably will not see. This means that your sub will not be getting the RMS power that it really wants. Also Audiobahn subs are usually power hogs. It takes alot of power for them to make much sound at all. Audiobahn subs almost always need to be over powered from thier RMS. So I am not sure how this set up is really going to sound, but I hope it all sounds as you want it to.

If you need any more help just ask away.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:25 PM

thanks man...lol i know sony sucks but it was the only amp i could find that was 900W x2 ohms.and yeah i bought a 4G wiring kit..i hope my sub will sound good lol
Old 06-08-2006, 03:28 PM

Mesatrin, u said you cant run 2 subs with dual 2ohm voice coils at an impedence of 2 ohms right? just wondering why in the link u provided theres an example of Dual 2ohm subs producing a 2ohm load....
http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/9...2ohmto2ohm.jpg
Old 06-08-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoleafClover
Mesatrin, u said you cant run 2 subs with dual 2ohm voice coils at an impedence of 2 ohms right? just wondering why in the link u provided theres an example of Dual 2ohm subs producing a 2ohm load....
http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/9...2ohmto2ohm.jpg
You can run TWO subs with dual 2 ohm voice coils and get a total impedance of 2 ohms. You can't run ONE sub with dual 2 ohm voice coils and get a total impedance of 2 ohms.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:24 PM

thats what i thought, thx
Old 06-10-2006, 02:02 PM

ohms is also a measurement of resistance. The one good thing about the cobalt is that the battery is in the rear so it make it a lot easier to install. Those firewalls can be very hard to get past sometimes.