Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

double din

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
double din

so the guy at the local audio store was tellin me that he doesnt know how much all my wiring and harnesses would be...he said that he wont know until he takes everything apart..he was asking me if i had the driver interface in the stereo or in the auge cluster? and was saying that each cobalt needs different wiring...and i dont need the radio controls on the steerign wheel to work either.....how do i know what parts and wiring i will need?

i have a 05 ss sc
Old 10-01-2008, 03:58 PM

Sounds like the guy is trying to stick something long and hard up your a$$.

You would need one of the PAC adapter things if you want to keep your steering wheel controls. And you will need the wiring harness, which shouldn't cost very much at all. Most wiring harnesses are about the same price. This guys seems like he is trying to screw with you.

There's a bunch of information in this thread: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/electronics-audio-video-49/updated-general-stereo-faq-read-96094/
Old 10-01-2008, 04:00 PM

o and he was sayin that i would need this wiring kit to keep the chimes that go throught the speakers....it costs 100 bucks!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lt1 gun
o and he was sayin that i would need this wiring kit to keep the chimes that go throught the speakers....it costs 100 bucks!!!
nope not for an 05
Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 PM

i went there and told him that i didnt need that for the 05 and he got all defensive..he was sayin "well if u read that on a forum then its bulls***, cuz no-one on there has any fu***** clue of what there talking about"

and he was sayin that since i have the stock sub and amp that i would need some expensive wiring harness because the basic one didnt have anything to run the amp

i looked on the bag and it said right there that blue and the white\blue were for the amp power and ground
Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 PM

He is technically right. PAC makes a nice wiring harness for these cars and I believe they retain the factory sub as well (althought I'm not 100% sure about this) and makes the integration of your double din unit a factory fit. However, in an 05 you would be able to get away with using the standard GM harness that works in the cobalt (can't think of the name/model #) and you would lose your chimes but still have the Retained auxilary power which you normally lose in a lot of GM vehicles without using the proper PAC piece or harness.

If i'm just selling a cheap single din cd player or something like that, I will warn the customer about losing chimes and whatever else and usually just use the cheaper harness. However, when doing screens and such the PAC piece isn't that expensive compared to the price of the screen and it does make the install much nicer.

Here's a link to the PAC piece for an 05 cobalt http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...adio#C2R-GM11b
I don't think it's 100 bucks retail though ?!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 PM

If you have an 07 like me, then you have to buy the 100 dollar gmos lan wiring harness. But for 05 and 06 models you can get any ole cheap 20-30 dollar wiring harness. I'm pretty sure they retain the factory chimes.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 PM

i read somewhere else that the chimes on a 05 came through the cluster not through the speakers???
Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 PM

even with the pac audio thing, my turn signal sounds are fairly low, but the chimes are like normal... so get used to no turn signal sounds unless you drive around with no music playing since i know we all do that.... btw ive had to pac audio C2R-GM11 kits and both did the same things
Old 10-01-2008, 11:57 PM

basically i wanna know if the cheap harness will work with the sub and amp...because i dont care about the dumb a$$ chimes

if the harness has wires for amp power and ground then it should work right?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
i went there and told him that i didnt need that for the 05 and he got all defensive..he was sayin "well if u read that on a forum then its bulls***, cuz no-one on there has any fu***** clue of what there talking about"

and he was sayin that since i have the stock sub and amp that i would need some expensive wiring harness because the basic one didnt have anything to run the amp

i looked on the bag and it said right there that blue and the white\blue were for the amp power and ground
huh i guess hes right. everything you read on forums must be bullshit huh.

tell him to look at the metra book and if you still aren't convinced then take the stereo out. If your chimes are gone then im wrong. When they are still there then you know whats up
Old 10-02-2008, 03:23 AM

So is it the 05 and 06's that will still retain the chimes without the PAC harness then? I have not done an 05 or 06. The only cobalt I've had in the shop is an 07 and i couldnt find a harness other than the PAC one that would plug and play like the metra one does on the 05's and 06's to even try it out. I have tapped the harness on my 07 redline as I am using the factory radio and needed the remote turn on for my amps and it works fine... no GMLAN issues with it and the amps stay on with RAP.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 PM

my 06 has all chimes and everything with cheap harness
Old 10-20-2008, 11:36 PM

basically i wanna know if the cheap harness will work with the sub and amp...because i dont care about the dumb a$$ chimes

if the harness has wires for amp power and ground then it should work right?
DUDE! Everything you need to know is in this thread: http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...adio#C2R-GM11b

The cheap harness will keep everything, just like you have right know, on 05 an 06. 07s, like mine, need the expensive one to replicate the chimes that come through the speakers.

If that guy REALLY knows how to install stereos then he should have the knowledge of finding out first which harnesses are needed for which cars. If not, he will just try to rip you off. If you can, do it yourself. Is much cheaper and is easier than you think. There's even a "How To" for replacing the stereo. If you feel you can't do it,, then buy the harness online and have other shop install the stereo for you. Don't waste your time with some ******* know-it-all.

As a matter of fact... I have the cheap harness laying around somewhere. I got it when someone sold me the in-dash I have right now, which was in an 06, and I had no use for it. PM me and if I find it I can give it away. If not, ebay has it for cheap.