Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Dual Battery Set Up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the sticky at the top of this section.
I'm personally running 2 Kinetik HC 1800's but there's cheaper ways to get the same/similar results...I'm just a name brand *****, and I like it like that.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
pulled out the cord/grommet. covered the hole with second skin and forgot about it
where is this vent at?

and you just gave me a really good idea on how to seal up the big 3 hole by the pedals
Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
lol u should see how fucked up mine looks. i got a piece of LLP. cut a star out of it. pushed the wires thru and duct taped it all together. works pretty well IMO
Old 11-01-2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by djblass
hey guys i'm have a problem i'm running a memphis amp and i have my regular stock battery, since i got my system every time the bass sounds the lights dim so they told me to get either a capacitor or stronger battery which i haven't done either. Last week my car was having a hard time starting and the other day it gave up on me and started doing a klak klak klak klak sound and the only way it would start was by a jumpstart and yesterday i tried jumpstarting the car and had no luck and now the car has no power at all, i also have to mention that the battery gets extremely hot when the car is on. I'm thinking i need a more powerfull battery like a optima or get another alternator or a capacitor. What do you guys think ?
my guess is your stock battery is fucked
Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djblass
hey guys i'm have a problem i'm running a memphis amp and i have my regular stock battery, since i got my system every time the bass sounds the lights dim so they told me to get either a capacitor or stronger battery which i haven't done either. Last week my car was having a hard time starting and the other day it gave up on me and started doing a klak klak klak klak sound and the only way it would start was by a jumpstart and yesterday i tried jumpstarting the car and had no luck and now the car has no power at all, i also have to mention that the battery gets extremely hot when the car is on. I'm thinking i need a more powerfull battery like a optima or get another alternator or a capacitor. What do you guys think ?

Which Memphis Amp?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM

lol u should see how fucked up mine looks. i got a piece of LLP. cut a star out of it. pushed the wires thru and duct taped it all together. works pretty well IMO
i just ordered 3 spl tiles hopefully i can get it all sealed up with that...i wanted to stay away from LLP cuz i didnt want to have to deal with spray adhesive and wanted to check out the spl tiles anyways
Old 11-04-2009, 02:45 AM

spl tiles are nice dude... but cutting them sucks. lol i spay adhesive doesnt really keep LLP up thou. too heavy
Old 11-04-2009, 03:18 AM

spl tiles are nice dude... but cutting them sucks. lol i spay adhesive doesnt really keep LLP up thou. too heavy
they must be thick as ****

damn maybe its not a good idea to seal the hole with them...idk where else id put them though damp pro has done a pretty good job
Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 AM

lol u can try but its like sheet metal. lol when i tried cutting it with a blade it just made an indention. needed to like pierce it each time or use scissors
Old 11-04-2009, 03:50 AM

sub'd. i was about to do this with my system but after reading this i got majorly confused for some reason. mostly the part where Cefaln452 said about fusing it. anyway, clearing that up would definitely help seeing im trading systems with my cousin. hes got a 1000w amp hooked up to two 10" kickers. that'll definitely drain my car of all the power needed.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 AM

i have a dual battery set up now and it works great no problems yet but i will keep everyone posted...
Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltLs_14
i have a dual battery set up now and it works great no problems yet but i will keep everyone posted...
Can you kinda simplify all the connections you made? Like:

pos+ of first battery to this, and this to this, etc., etc.,

include fuses and if you used an isolator cuz i really dont wanna screw this up lol
Old 11-05-2009, 02:36 AM

If your going to do dual batteries on a stock alternator, I would recommend a switching system to you only charge 1 battery at a time.
If not, the life of your alt will be decreased.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by unijabnx2000
If your going to do dual batteries on a stock alternator, I would recommend a switching system to you only charge 1 battery at a time.
If not, the life of your alt will be decreased.
how would that work?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 AM

The better question is how does it drain thel life of the alternator? Does everybody understand that the alternator puts out X voltage, and X amps, that doesnt change. Having two batteries dosent change that fact. The only problem with multiple batteries is that they will discharge each other over time. Even that is not really a problem in a car that you drive on a regular basis.

For the person who asked, the wiring is simple:

Stock battery:
Positive:
-Factory 4ga from front of car
-Factory 8ga from wherever
-4ga over to second battery positive
Negative:
-Factory 4gq ground
-4ga over to second battery negative

Second battery:
Positive:
-4ga from stock battery
-4ga to amp distrobution block
Negative:
-4ga from stock battery
-4ga to ground lug terminal

Technicly I had to switch the grounds on mine because I didnt cut the factory ground wire and I couldnt get it to bend around to the new terminals, but you get the idea. A fuse or breaker would go in line with the positive wire between the two batteries.

Sean
Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Broke EF
The better question is how does it drain thel life of the alternator? Does everybody understand that the alternator puts out X voltage, and X amps, that doesnt change. Having two batteries dosent change that fact. The only problem with multiple batteries is that they will discharge each other over time. Even that is not really a problem in a car that you drive on a regular basis.

For the person who asked, the wiring is simple:

Stock battery:
Positive:
-Factory 4ga from front of car
-Factory 8ga from wherever
-4ga over to second battery positive
Negative:
-Factory 4gq ground
-4ga over to second battery negative

Second battery:
Positive:
-4ga from stock battery
-4ga to amp distrobution block
Negative:
-4ga from stock battery
-4ga to ground lug terminal

Technicly I had to switch the grounds on mine because I didnt cut the factory ground wire and I couldnt get it to bend around to the new terminals, but you get the idea. A fuse or breaker would go in line with the positive wire between the two batteries.

Sean

You know, thats seriously how i thought it would be but it just seemed too simple. Also someone else tossed in something about fusing it and a battery isolator. Other than that, you pretty much cleared it up for me immensely lol thanks sean
Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 AM

I'm planning on doing this myself very soon and I was wondering if I do fuse it what size fuse does it need to be?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Broke EF

Sean
READ this

http://www.bcae1.com/chargin2.htm

The best thing to do is to upgrade your alternator.
Or ask any MECP certified audio installer.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM

right i was going to upgrade my alternator. i got a list of numbers to call for alternator places to get pricing for rewinding them to increase the amperage output. unless theres an easier/better way that i can do it myself or something that im not aware of.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
hmm only the coupes have the battery in the trunk correct? because my sedan has it up front..
Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by unijabnx2000
READ this

http://www.bcae1.com/chargin2.htm

The best thing to do is to upgrade your alternator.
Or ask any MECP certified audio installer.
Well wasnt that just a marvel of a technical explination I think I will just listen to the elctical engineers I know and work with. I am not saying, or have ever said that upgrading the alternator is not a good way to go, but having 2 batteries will have no negative effect on the alternator.

Sean
Old 11-06-2009, 12:57 AM

lol u can try but its like sheet metal. lol when i tried cutting it with a blade it just made an indention. needed to like pierce it each time or use scissors
damn ill just order a square of damp pro, seal it up and have some left over...what should i do with these tiles? im thinking about just throwing them on the trunk lid on top of my damp pro...