Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

DVC subs, and mono amps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVC subs, and mono amps?

OK, so I was looking at this amp to power 1 2 ohm DVC 12 Type R.

Alpine MRP-M500
or
MRP-M650

My question is.

The sub is rated at 500 RMS @ 2 ohm. Since its DVC and I am using a Mono amp, I read that the amp must be able to do 1 ohm stable in order to run it right?

1.) would those amps be suitable for this sub, and would I run into problems?

2.) if its a 600w @ 1 ohm amp, can I adjust on the amp so it only puts out 300 or 450 or 500?

3.) Will most 2 ohm amps to 1 ohm, or how can I tell if a 2 ohm amp can run 1 ohm?

4.) A friend told me that a 1500w peak sub, should be able to handle 750rms. How come the alpine says 500 RMS? Also is it safe to do a 600w RMS amp, if it peaks at 1200 which is below the 1500 the sub supports?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pay no attention to peak power, There area number of things that the manufactures do to get these figures, certain power intake at certain freq. ect. In laymens terms you have to be standing on one foot, rubbing your stomach, patting your head and singing the national anthem to achieve those numbers, and even then its only good in burst.
Most amps are not 1 ohm stable, back when, the good cheater amps were stable down to .5-.25 ohms but today most are only good down to 2 ohms, however you don't need a 1ohm stable amp so don't sweat it.
Unless your looking at a JL audio amp the ohms numbers on amps drop according to the amount of speakers you hook up to them. Each channel of the amp (as long as you wire it directly) will put out 4ohms.
Now were talking about a mono channel amp so
1 channel = 4ohms
Each voice coil represents 1 speaker so,
1 DVC Alpine type R = 2 speakers
If you simply connect 2 sets of speaker wire to the output on the amp and run one to each voice coil, (or connections on the sub) you get a 2ohm load so what you'll have is one mono channel amp runing 1 2 ohm DVC sub in a 2ohm load, which I'm guessing is what you want.
I've only ever seen 1 amp that allowed to have a switch to change from 4 to 2 ohms, it wan an old sony amp, so there will not be a dial or switch or setting to allow you to change the ohms,
The M500 will do what you need (300x1@4ohm, 500x1@2ohms) but you would have to run it close to full tilt.
The m650 would allow you to set the gains at about 75% and still fully power the sub, this makes for a longer lasting amp, less likely to clip ect. However the price difference is quite a bit so if can spend the $$ go with the 650
Old 05-13-2008, 04:46 AM

WHAT?!
It is a DVC Sub @ 2ohm per voice coil. He can ether wire it up parallel for a 1ohm load or in series for a 4ohm load. He is not going to be able to get it at 2ohm. The amp used has no effect on the ohm of the speakers. The ohm is based only on the speakers resistance and wiring layout.

Simply connecting two sets of wire from the amp to the voice coils will have the same effect as wiring the amp parallel, in other words a 1ohm load, not 2ohm as you said.

Ether get an amp that will do 500+w @ 4ohm or a 1ohm stable amp that will put out 500+w. If you get one that puts out more than 500w, then just turn down the gain to an appropreate #. A 600w amp, run @ ~80 gain.

Originally Posted by Spun
Unless your looking at a JL audio amp the ohms numbers on amps drop according to the amount of speakers you hook up to them. Each channel of the amp (as long as you wire it directly) will put out 4ohms.
Now were talking about a mono channel amp so
1 channel = 4ohms
Each voice coil represents 1 speaker so,
1 DVC Alpine type R = 2 speakers
If you simply connect 2 sets of speaker wire to the output on the amp and run one to each voice coil, (or connections on the sub) you get a 2ohm load so what you'll have is one mono channel amp runing 1 2 ohm DVC sub in a 2ohm load, which I'm guessing is what you want.
I've only ever seen 1 amp that allowed to have a switch to change from 4 to 2 ohms, it wan an old sony amp, so there will not be a dial or switch or setting to allow you to change the ohms,
^^^
Danger will robenson Danger!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:27 PM

I bought everything. I went with the 4 ohm x 4 ohm 12" Type R. I also went with the MRP-650 and got maybe 40 dollars more then the cheapest MRP-500 I could find. I also bought a 2.0cft box tuned to 32hz.

I believe if I wire the 4 ohm Type R in paraell w/ it will run 2 ohm on the amp I bought. So that way I will get 600w RMS @ 2 ohm. Adjust the gain, as you said, and I should be good to go

I should be putting everything in this weekend. I will let you know how it turns out
Old 05-14-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
wait is the type R a dual 2 or a dual 4... last thread u had a single dual 4. Id suggest going on to the Rockford fosgate site and looking at the wiring diagrams so you can see whats up. It really seems as if your way to confused about wiring (or crutchfield or whatever but the RF site is a bit easier IMO). What you need to do is match ohm levels and RMS power. peak power is useless like they've said above

u got the right gear and it seems like u got it all under control but this thread really makes me unsure if u really understand or not

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 05-14-2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2008, 01:54 AM

They make 2 versions of the type R

a

2 ohm x 2 ohm

and a

4 ohm x 4 ohm

I didnt know this, I thought it was the 2 and 2 only, which is why I was looking for a 1 ohm amp. Once learned there was a 4 ohm version, and when ran in para it would drop down to 2, I knew that was the way to go