Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Eclipse double din screen and navagation

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eclipse double din screen and navagation

I threw in an Eclipse AVN5000 dvd/navagation unit this afternoon.. Also added an auto-switching backup camera as well as a PAC-Audio steering wheel control interface so the factory steering wheel controls still work with the Eclipse deck.. :cheers

For accessory power to the deck, I used the thin brown wire on the back of the fuse block/bcm. Also added an inline 3a fuse.

Check out the general Cobalt section of the site for the rest of my install...
Old 02-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Former Vendor

oh jamolies, that's sick man!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:51 PM

when you put in the navigation, did you have to find the speed sensor wire. ifso, where is it located??
Old 02-03-2007, 09:03 PM

eclipse <3
Old 02-03-2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bake06
when you put in the navigation, did you have to find the speed sensor wire. ifso, where is it located??
One of my other installers did the under hood stuff including the VSS wire for me while I was working in the car... I'll ask him Monday..

I know it was done from under the car and I'm pretty sure it's located on the front of the tranny somewhere.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:26 PM

Alright man thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bake06
Alright man thanks

If I remember, next time I get the car in the air I'll try and get a pic of it for you.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:14 AM

ive got a savings fund going for one of these right now... i really wish that i could find paint to match the interior trim, i think if the installation kit was the same color it would look unbelieveable
Old 02-04-2007, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by fiero_silva
I threw in an Eclipse AVN5000 dvd/navagation unit this afternoon.. Also added an auto-switching backup camera as well as a PAC-Audio steering wheel control interface so the factory steering wheel controls still work with the Eclipse deck.. :cheers

For accessory power to the deck, I used the thin brown wire on the back of the fuse block/bcm. Also added an inline 3a fuse.

Check out the general Cobalt section of the site for the rest of my install...

Would the install be difficult for an amatuer? I do have a friend who is a professional would help me though. I was looking into putting in a headunit similar to the Eclipse. Also where did you pick up the PAC-Audio steering wheel control interface?
Old 02-04-2007, 03:46 PM

Looks really nice. I find that the cobalts are one of the best suited cars for the double din screen. Just don't watch video's and drive
Old 02-04-2007, 03:52 PM

looks nice. personally i would paint the dash kit silver. wud look even better.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by cblt12
ive got a savings fund going for one of these right now... i really wish that i could find paint to match the interior trim, i think if the installation kit was the same color it would look unbelieveable
We are painting all the dash trim different than the stock color. The paint scheme will be continued onto the custom tweeter pods I made as well as into the trunk on the tanks for the air-ride and the amp rack and sub boxes...

Originally Posted by irishwolf
Would the install be difficult for an amatuer? I do have a friend who is a professional would help me though. I was looking into putting in a headunit similar to the Eclipse. Also where did you pick up the PAC-Audio steering wheel control interface?
This eclipse unit is actually fairly easy to installed when compared to other in dash dvds.. The unit is an all-in-one unit, so there is no external brain to deal with... Really, with this unit the only thing extra that this unit has over a normal cd deck is the GPS antenna, VSS wire, E-brake wire and reverse light input wire...

I got the PAC steering wheel control interface from one of my suppliers (Importel).... One of your local car audio shops should be able to get it for you. It will probably run about $100.

Originally Posted by iLLmaTic3s
looks nice. personally i would paint the dash kit silver. wud look even better.
As I said before, we will be painting all the dash trim
Old 02-04-2007, 04:32 PM

ok good. some people leave itlike that. and it looks like crap. good luck with it
Old 02-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats almost exactly what I was looking for, how much did all of that run you in cost? Oh and is it XM compatable?
Old 02-04-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Moza13-
Thats almost exactly what I was looking for, how much did all of that run you in cost? Oh and is it XM compatable?
Free

I'm not sure on XM... I've got the Sirrius tuner hooked up to it though... If eclipse makes an XM tuner it would be compatible, or the deck does have AUX inputs you could hook a generic XM tuner to.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:41 PM

Not to be a nit pick, but I am a perfectionist. I have done Many many head unit installs in my day and I can't stand loose wires. That's the only complaint i can make from those pics. Looks amazing, but if I can see the red wire on the passenger side well, it bugs me.

Nice Unit... it's more than I can afford College Sucks!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Switt23
Not to be a nit pick, but I am a perfectionist. I have done Many many head unit installs in my day and I can't stand loose wires. That's the only complaint i can make from those pics. Looks amazing, but if I can see the red wire on the passenger side well, it bugs me.

Nice Unit... it's more than I can afford College Sucks!
Don't worry about my installs, I'm a professional installer

You could see the wire because it was just connected to try the unit. It's all hidden, soldered and fused properly now... Check out my build thread in the lounge, this car's getting a full fiberglass trunk...

Here's the link:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/05-ss-charity-build-44923/

For those wondering about VSS:

VSS wire is Yellow. The connector is located (on the manual trans) right on top of differential (where the 2 axles come out).
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 PM

That's what i figured ... just thought it would be a shame for someone to have such a nice headunit, and then for it to look ghetto rigged into the car. It all looks amazing!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:49 PM

tahts a nice deck..im jealous, im actually curious where u mounted ure backup cam cause i wanted to do the same thing and mount it in my key hole in the trunk.....
Old 02-07-2007, 01:05 PM

I have a few questions... How much does one cost? Where can i get one? And what formats does it support?

'Cause that looks sweet... exactly what am looking for. You did a great job.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by grigs
tahts a nice deck..im jealous, im actually curious where u mounted ure backup cam cause i wanted to do the same thing and mount it in my key hole in the trunk.....
The Eclipse back up camera I am using is a nice small black camera (not a flush mount cam). It's mounted in the liscence plate opening right at the bottom center. It's black, and the car's black so it blends in very well..

I couldn't use a flushmount camera in the key hole in the trunk because the trunk is shaved

Originally Posted by Da_CuBesSS
I have a few questions... How much does one cost? Where can i get one? And what formats does it support?

'Cause that looks sweet... exactly what am looking for. You did a great job.
1. I think we retail them for about $2500.
2. You can get one from your local Eclipse dealer
3. I honestly havn't had a chance to try any burnt dvds or anything like that yet, so I'm not sure.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:06 PM

can you post a pic of the location of the back up camera i am looking to do the same thing with my car.. just for ***** and giggles...

-drew

i'm looking at useing one of the license plate mounted ones like the ones on this site

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/revimocabavi.html

Last edited by c0baltic; 02-08-2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-08-2007, 09:23 PM

I dont mean to thread jack, but I have been doing some work in my dash and I wanted to ask, seems like a good person to ask. How the hell do you get the trim pieces off without screwing up the clips? I've had to disassemble my dash twice, and the first time about half the clips came off of the plastic trim pieces and tore them up. Everything went back it loose as hell.

Second time I took it all back out and reseated all of the metal clips on the plastic trim pieces; this made everything fit back like from the factory. Fits nice now, but I am worried about if I need to get back there again.

In short, how the hell do you get those trim pieces off without ripping metal from plastic??

[end thread jack]
Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by c0baltic
can you post a pic of the location of the back up camera i am looking to do the same thing with my car.. just for ***** and giggles...

-drew

i'm looking at useing one of the license plate mounted ones like the ones on this site

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/revimocabavi.html
I'll look through my pics. Not sure if I have a pic of the backup camera or not....

Originally Posted by Johnboy12358
I dont mean to thread jack, but I have been doing some work in my dash and I wanted to ask, seems like a good person to ask. How the hell do you get the trim pieces off without screwing up the clips? I've had to disassemble my dash twice, and the first time about half the clips came off of the plastic trim pieces and tore them up. Everything went back it loose as hell.

Second time I took it all back out and reseated all of the metal clips on the plastic trim pieces; this made everything fit back like from the factory. Fits nice now, but I am worried about if I need to get back there again.

In short, how the hell do you get those trim pieces off without ripping metal from plastic??

[end thread jack]
Wierd man..... I've had the radio trim piece on/off probably 10 times with no problems... The other 3 dash trim pieces have been off for a couple weeks, but I don't remember having any problems with them..... Just pull and they come off perfect.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:17 AM

one day i hope to own one of these... one day. looks amazing

Quick Reply: Eclipse double din screen and navagation