Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Everyone interested in an aftermarket Head Unit READ THIS!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada Everyone interested in an aftermarket Head Unit READ THIS!!

I just had the ALPINE CDA-9885 head unit installed in my 2007 Pontiac G5 GT. All they used was the $15 wire harness, and $20 for the dash kit. I have the pioneer system without onstar, I lost my door chimes and thats it. THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS NOT ACSSOCIATED WITH THE HEAD UNIT AT ALL!!

I repeatedly asked them about the GMOS - lan 04 system. They assured me over and over that I do not NEED it. I could have bought it and retained these chimes, but honestly, I dont even notice that they are gone.

Some installers say that the lan kit allows the new head unit to connect to the 4 channel amp under the dash. This is also very incorrect.

Right after the head unit was installed, I went to the GM dealership and asked the technicians to hook up my car to their computer just to make sure that I didnt lose any functionality (I was still paranoid about the airbags and such). Everything was working fine, Airbags, turn signals, My amp under the dash was receiving the signal fine ( their computer didnt tell me that, my ears did.)

I hope that I have put to rest some of the questions people have about the 07 systems. I myself was very skeptical before I had this deck installed. My advice is: Do a lot of research, make sure the installer is familiar with the vehicle, and finally JUST DO IT!!

Here are some pics of my system:

Last edited by black_bullet_gt; 09-03-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:39 PM

Nice system !!!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:00 PM

thats awesome info cause i decided i can do without my onstar i just want to keep the pioneer stuff. so basically metra was right saying you just have to hook up the amp sig on wire to the amp or antenna wire on the head unit and your fine, along with speaker signals ofcourse.

nice system
Old 09-04-2007, 09:35 AM

Brand and part number of harness please? +rep
Old 09-04-2007, 10:41 AM

Ok I will yet again throw myself into this discussion even though everytime I do no oone seems to listen to the voice of reason(which is typical in my profession). I am a first class certified installer and while you are correct on some of your infor you are false on other parts. I'm not here to rip on you because you aren't the one that did the work, you are just going off what you were told. Yes the airbag rumor is false, your radio has nothing to do with your supplimental restraint system. Now as for the rest, the harness does more than just keep that ding ding when you have low fuel or leave your key in the ignition. People just say that because that's the only thing you can physically tell. Since the GM systems are so complex, if you aren't using the right equipment, your ECM is not receiving a healthy system status. So you may have problems getting a diagnosis from a dealership. I know you said you went to a dealership and it was fine, and that may be....this time. Somewhere down the line you may not be so lucky. My father is a GM ASE certified master mechanic and I've seen the reading on a tech2 without the right harness and sure enough it does read some faulty codes. You can choose to believe me or not but at my shop I will not do an install without the right stuff, if the customer doesn't want to pay for the harness they have the option to go elsewhere because other places will do it, I just don't want that liability over my head, especially when I know what's going on. Besides do you think Metra and Scosche manufacture parts just for ***** and giggles, somehow I doubt it. The parts wouldn't be on the market if they weren't necessary.