Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Factory NAV in Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory NAV in Cobalt

My wife is looking at the Cobalt LTZ. She wants an indash NAV system along with the XM radio and OnStar. In looking at aftermarket NAV units, I'm not confident that there is one out there that will still give her full functionality of the factory XM radio and OnStar.

I would imagine that the wiring harnesses, connectors, and pinouts are consistent across various GM models. I'm wondering if I could order a factory NAV system from Chevy and then install it in the Cobalt and that the XM radio and OnStar connections would be simple plug-in connections.

I have a Saturn Outlook with the factory NAV and it works great with the XM and OnStar.

Has anybody installed a factory NAV in a Cobalt? If so, was it "plug-and-play" with OnStar and XM? Or, is there an aftermarket NAV that will work with the factory XM and OnStar?

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is no "factory nav" for the cobalt. as far as i know, if you put a new system in, it will disable certain features which i'm sure she will not want to lose, especially if she's paying for them. i would just get one of the ones that mounts on top of the dash. i'm sure there's others with more experience about this that will chime in though. but, if it was that easy, i'm sure it would be available as an option.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:11 AM

I think I may not have been clear about "factory NAV." I understand that Chevy does not offer a factory NAV for the Cobalt. But, if you own a Tahoe or something like that with a factory NAV and it dies, you must be able to order a replacement unit.

I'm wondering if I could order a replacement factory NAV and then install it in a Cobalt. The upgraded audio in the LTZ supports Onstar and XM, so the connections must be there. My theory is that the NAV is not offered on the Cobalt simply because the marketing folks at GM don't think it would be a big seller.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:51 PM

I would assume if you can find a factory Nav system for a gm vehicle that will fit and bolt correctly into the opening, it would just be a matter or finding the right connector and adjusting the wires (as was done with the 07 to 05 radio install post) Delphi does sell the factory nav for GM vehicles as individual units and many audio stores have access to them without the GM cost. I have been thinking about doing this but like the extra options available with aftermarket units....I'm going with a Z2 in my car and likely a D3 in the g/f's car. I will be keeping XM and Onstar in both. (although going to the Pioneer XM-navtraffic units, but using the factory antenae)
Old 05-24-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If she needs Nav that bad, save your money and send her to traffic school. Nav is a waste of thousands of dollars for factory decks, and in the end you never end up using the F-ing thing and just get annoyed at it.