Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Getting Custom Car Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Custom Car Alarm

when i get my SS/TC in the next week or two i have a co-worker who installs electronics and alarms. he has a reputation to do amaizing work for a very very reasonable price. i know i want him to install features like auto start (via cell phone), gps tracking (via cell phone/computer), windows down, engine shutdown lock, motion sensor key fob. i don't know what other features are available for alarms but i know he will install any feature that i'm willing to pay for.

so help me out guys and give me ideas.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think they make an alarm that can do all of that.....

Check out: Viper.com
Check out: Compustar.com
Check out: Commandocaralarms.com

Some others: Codealarm, Clifford, Excaliber, Bull Dog, AudioVox, AutoPage, Sidewinder, Python, Hornet, Automate.

I have the Viper 5900 on mine with window automation (i can make my windows go up & down from up to 1 mile away). I can remote start it from up to 1 mile away (if I had the remote start hooked up [I don't]). You can have it send you a text, or call you if your car alarm is going off & your remote is too far away.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:08 PM

i personaly know somebody who has all these features installed by the same guy on his 2007 audi A4 so i know it is possible. i dont know how he does it but he has been doing stuff like thid for years so i put my trust in him. i really just wanna know what is out there so i can get new ideas fir my alarm system
Old 04-30-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"motion sensor key fob" What does this mean?

I can believe that all of those are possible, it just might take some time 2 install & make sure it all works.....
Old 04-30-2008, 12:23 PM

mini lcd screen on the keychain shows the vehicle. it notifies you if windows are broken, doors opened, trunk opened, hood opened or if the car is in motion (for example: car jacked up to steal wheels)
Old 04-30-2008, 12:24 PM

how much is all of this gonna cost you?....
Old 04-30-2008, 12:33 PM

probealy as much as his car lol...save some money...get lojack...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:40 PM

well this guy installs audio/video/electronic components on high end cars with a high price tag. but you get what you pay for. he does these installs as a side job but has a reputation for remarkable work. he does do installs for his co-workers for just over cost of materials. my other coworker had all those features done to his A4 for just under $500. i was told the most i would pay for the most advanced system w/ all features is $700 at most. i would rather give a co-worker with a family to feed $500-$700 bucks before i give the dealer $500 for a mediocre passive alarm fully equipped with keyless entry.

in my experience once a car gets stolen you dont want it back. some people abuse their own cars imagine what they would do to a car that is not theirs and they could care less about the owner of the vehicle. if somebody steals you car, crashes into something but doesn't total the car, you are stuck with a pos with you name on the title. my goal is to deter someone from stealing my car. if my car is actually stolen i dont want it back, i'd rather the check in the mail for a new one.

Last edited by GULLABLE0NE; 04-30-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-30-2008, 12:43 PM

^^^ x2

i'd be pissed if that ever happened to my car
Old 04-30-2008, 12:51 PM

yup. it happened to my cousin. his bmw 540i was stolen, crashed into a streetlamp but wasn't totaled. cops called him that the vehicle was recovered but it was a little banged up. it had like 8 thousand dollars in damage but wasnt totaled. insurance paid to fix the damages but the car was never the same, plus it no longer had a clear title and the resale value of the car dropped to nothing. if they steal it dont call the cops right away. give the theives enough time to completely wreck the car so you dont get back a pos.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by GULLABLE0NE
when i get my SS/TC in the next week or two i have a co-worker who installs electronics and alarms. he has a reputation to do amaizing work for a very very reasonable price. i know i want him to install features like auto start (via cell phone), gps tracking (via cell phone/computer), windows down, engine shutdown lock, motion sensor key fob. i don't know what other features are available for alarms but i know he will install any feature that i'm willing to pay for.

so help me out guys and give me ideas.
Are you sure you can do a remote start on a manual transmission? I know that GM offers this on some vehicles, but does not offer it on manual transmission. That was my impression that it would not be possible.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:56 PM

you can on a manual... jus need a bypass...

i would definitely wait a little bit my first priority would be getting home lol
Old 04-30-2008, 06:49 PM

it is possible. one of my other coworkers got autostart put into his 08 gti manual

after work bump..

Last edited by GULLABLE0NE; 04-30-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 PM

Check out autopageusa.com and the C-3... It does all of that and a bit more... Only problem you won't find many real companies who want to autostart a manual... Too much liability.

I saw someone on a forum the other day toss his accord into his garage door because he left it in gear, the best part is he tried to blame the shop because "it went off on its own"
Old 04-30-2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by TrevMo
Are you sure you can do a remote start on a manual transmission? I know that GM offers this on some vehicles, but does not offer it on manual transmission. That was my impression that it would not be possible.
you can i peronaly have this option.. had to sign a contract releaseing liabilaty from the installer i ahve the autopage RS1000 with a two way LED screen however ti doesnt ahve cellphone capability that im aware of i ahve seen the cell phone capable stuff but i do know i can check the temp of the inside of my cab of my car from a mile away....set the temp and then start the car to blow that temp... but cellphone would be cool.. and as far as the remote ona standerd thing i worried forever about DID I LEAVE IT IN GEAR? cause if you do and start it. it takes off, i know ive done it........
Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 PM

why would you need to sign a waiver for a starter/alarm install on a manual? Compustar specifically makes a manual transmission version so there's no need or safety concerns when installed correctly. We install many manuals and I have the 2-way fm compustar with LCD remote on my redline right now and it's fine. There's no way to accidentally leave the car in gear and start it with the starter.