Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

gm lan system????

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gm lan system????

i heard when u take out the factory head unit you will not be able to use the computer to check the codes in the car? Is this true, has anyone checked for codes while having a aftermarket headunit? Also has anyone got a inspection yet with there aftermarket headunit installed?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:50 AM

Cobalts do not use the GM LAN system. If you take out the head unit you still have the door chime- turn signal tick- ect. As long as the aftermarket unit is installed right it shouldn't affect the codes.
That being said it is still safer to leave stock headunits alone and upgrade the rest of you system... weird stuff happens sometimes- i just saw a post on here form a guy who's cruise control doesn't work with the aftermarket head unit.

If you want thump just add an amp and a couple 12" subs,
If you want quality in your music go with some 2 amps, 3 or 4 cone speakers all around, and 1 or 2 high power 10" subs. Thats what I have in my SS with the stock head unit and it sounds awsome!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 05sss
Cobalts do not use the GM LAN system. If you take out the head unit you still have the door chime- turn signal tick- ect. As long as the aftermarket unit is installed right it shouldn't affect the codes.
That being said it is still safer to leave stock headunits alone and upgrade the rest of you system... weird stuff happens sometimes- i just saw a post on here form a guy who's cruise control doesn't work with the aftermarket head unit.

If you want quality in your music go with some 2 amps, 3 or 4 cone speakers all around, and 1 or 2 high power 10" subs. Thats what I have in my SS with the stock head unit and it sounds awsome!

If something doesnt work after you install a head unit, then most likly it is the fault of the installer who probly cut a random wire somewhere. I install my head unit and lost nothing everything works fine.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:13 PM

who has gotten there car inspected when having the headunit installed?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:55 PM

i know its a weird question but if you got your car inspected with the aftermarket headunit then that means the computer is working just fine.. So has anyone gotten there cars inspected yet with the aftermarket hu?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:08 PM

the only reason certain things may stop working is because somebody blew a fuse somewhere, while installing my flip up tv head unit i flew a few (15A i think) and it powered the radio and keyless entry remote(which both stopped working when the fuse blew). just random things are tapped into the same fuse....now this is on a cobalt ss/sc, fuse configurations may vary amoung cobalt models...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Get low

there are 2 lan connections running through the balt... i forgot the details though
Old 07-18-2006, 11:05 PM

agreed with bio, i talked with a service manager at a dealership (doing PC work) and i asked him about that, and he said there is a LAN system. now me being a PC freak, im lookin for a CAT 5/6 Cable runnin somewhere! hA ! WTF?! soo untill i get specifics thats what i have heard
Old 07-19-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by biohazard
there are 2 lan connections running through the balt... i forgot the details though
The Cobalt uses the LAN system for data connectivity but the door chimes and other functions are not run through the radio. Your car will pass NY inspection since any code set by the computer is not a trouble code. If a GM Tech plugs into it they will likely see an alert that says something to the effect of radio communication lost, but that shouldn't be anything that will make you fail an inspection.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05sss

Wow you are a ******* moron. Good luck convincing anyone with actual car audio experience or anything about these cars that GM doesn't use the LAN system in the Cobalt.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by StreetDreamz
Wow you are a ******* moron. Good luck convincing anyone with actual car audio experience or anything about these cars that GM doesn't use the LAN system in the Cobalt.
Wow, what a nice way to develop a good vibe with potential customers of "Tony's Street Dreamz"
Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 AM

holy **** man THANK YOU i have tried explaining that to this other guy and i got slammed in another thread, go hump your hand taro
Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Banned

Oh hell no. I don't even deal with people who try to tell me something completely bogus. It just pisses me off when they are "right" and they know nothing. It's just how it is. Trsut me, you'd like to be a customer of this shop if you were in the area. Lol.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Taro
If something doesnt work after you install a head unit, then most likly it is the fault of the installer who probly cut a random wire somewhere. I install my head unit and lost nothing everything works fine.
You also didn't have OnStar IN YOUR BASE MODEL CAR which runs through a LAN connection.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:35 AM

You also didn't have OnStar IN YOUR BASE MODEL CAR which runs through a LAN connection.
the cobalt does use the lan system...i installed a head unit in a ss 2.4 with on star and i had to relocate the stock head unit but everything still works great. if you own a shop and you say that the stock head unit has good sound processing you my friend are a *******. "throwing in a few cone speakers and 27 amps is not going to help your sound processing. if there is a problem with dic, door chimes or anything else then its you that started the problem by f****** stuff up

my car threw an airbag code because of the seat rail under the passenger seat and i got my buddy who works for chevy to bring his tech 2 and candi adapter home to check it and no codes or even alerts of anything except those wires being broken under the seat
Old 07-19-2006, 12:11 PM

Oh hell no. I don't even deal with people who try to tell me something completely bogus. It just pisses me off when they are "right" and they know nothing. It's just how it is. Trsut me, you'd like to be a customer of this shop if you were in the area. Lol.
If you haven't noticed there are a lot of people on here that don't know anything. I'm sure the same can be said for many customers of your shop. Insulting people on a public forum is definitly not going to help get you new customers.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
The Cobalt uses the LAN system for data connectivity but the door chimes and other functions are not run through the radio. Your car will pass NY inspection since any code set by the computer is not a trouble code. If a GM Tech plugs into it they will likely see an alert that says something to the effect of radio communication lost, but that shouldn't be anything that will make you fail an inspection.
I agree with what was said above.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ted5986
the cobalt does use the lan system...i installed a head unit in a ss 2.4 with on star and i had to relocate the stock head unit but everything still works great. if you own a shop and you say that the stock head unit has good sound processing you my friend are a *******. "throwing in a few cone speakers and 27 amps is not going to help your sound processing. if there is a problem with dic, door chimes or anything else then its you that started the problem by f****** stuff up

my car threw an airbag code because of the seat rail under the passenger seat and i got my buddy who works for chevy to bring his tech 2 and candi adapter home to check it and no codes or even alerts of anything except those wires being broken under the seat
Huh? I said nothing about the stock system being good. And nothing about "cone" speakers. Whatever the hell those are...all large sized speakers have cones. I think you need to go back up and read who posted what big guy.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
If you haven't noticed there are a lot of people on here that don't know anything. I'm sure the same can be said for many customers of your shop. Insulting people on a public forum is definitly not going to help get you new customers.
I am insulting him because he is one of those people who thinks they know what they are talking about when he clearly doesn't. If someone just plain doesn't know something then cool I will help until I am blue in the face, but if they truly don't know anything and try to sound like they do that's another thing. He is one of those people that when I put a $4,000 stereo into a Lincoln LS he goes into the car, being a friend who "knows" what he's doing and tries to rewire the subs or adjust the headunit and blows half the **** up then comes back to the shop with the owner of the car to tell us that our stuff (JL Audio, Pioneer Premier, Eclipse, Kicker, etc.) is junk. Those are the people I can't stand and insult.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:03 PM

Just an fyi. U dont have to relocate the factory deck. There is a kit that u can get that saves the Onstar that plugs right into the harness behind ur dash. I have it
https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/sho...=3&userid=1798
Old 07-25-2006, 01:07 AM

okay street dreams my bad i quoted the post that you quoted the other guy and i thought the whole comment would show up. it was intended for the guy who is an "installer" who said 2 or 3 amps and some nice cone speakers would sound good sorry for the confusion fyi all speakers have a cone except for some tweeter that have a dome over the voice coil to project the sound
Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Banned

okay street dreams my bad i quoted the post that you quoted the other guy and i thought the whole comment would show up. it was intended for the guy who is an "installer" who said 2 or 3 amps and some nice cone speakers would sound good sorry for the confusion fyi all speakers have a cone except for some tweeter that have a dome over the voice coil to project the sound
Older, technology-less tweeters were coned. ;-)