Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Going to customize my trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to customize my trunk

I am thinking of customizing my trunk. This is going to be my first time so I have been doing some research . I think I want to add another 10" sub. I came across this web site. http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/
Old 09-19-2006, 06:47 PM

bump
Old 09-19-2006, 08:17 PM

I am currently working on some fiberglass enclosures for my fiance's Camry and its my first time attempting this and it is coming along great. Just follow those instructions and take your time. Ill post pics when Im done. Im finishing the bondo part now. Next will be a full fiberglassed trunk for my Ion. I was using her car as a test Its fun so give it a go.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:28 AM

me and sunfirejoe are in the middle of the custom trunk enclosuer for my cobalt and his as well. lol
Old 09-23-2006, 03:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
lol hook it up with pics
Old 09-27-2006, 10:59 PM

Hey!@

First post, anyways.

Done this kinda work more then a few times.. did it a few times to my truck(Took 4 tries till I loved it), then I did it in my s-10 blazer.. but that was mostly because I had left over stuff and wanted to use it.

Anyways.. here are the biggest most important things to remeber to keep this from turning bad:

Cover *EVERYTHING* in some way. Big yard bags are your favorite tool for this.. cut then up so there just a big peice of plastic, then simply laying it around *everything* except where the glass is going. Then, take a ton of frigen aluminum foil and some good tape(I recommend blue painters tape, expensive but great) and after the foil has a good cover..

Do it again. Seriously, the second time I did it I tried to only use 1 layer of foil and I had a spot where some of the resin and glass sorta mated with the carpet.. not pretty to remove. So anyways, just be safe..

Once the prep is done, use small batches of the resin at a time. I know its tempting to use it all at once, but it will go bad and you will be out some $$$. So go buy a bunch of plastic cups(like party cups) and use those.. very cheap, very effective. I bought a bag of like 20 little crappy paint brushes, worked good for it..

When your laying the mat, lay it in sections and hand tear it.. it helps. One of the most important things about laying it(besides using a roller..) is to make sure that it lays flat. If its got a bulge in it because its not layed perfectly, fix it ASAP. I did one layer and let it sit for about 30 minutes or so.. then did a second layer.

After the second layer I let it sit for about 3 hours(this was arizona summer though.. no moisute, just heat.) then did a third layer, and removed it.

Remeber, fiberglass gets strength from its curves. A straight sheet of fiberglass is weak.. you can punch right through it.. a curved peice is harder.

Get the shape you want outta the back peice.. then set it back in, and place the sub(or a temp. sub) in there and do an imaginary placement and fit.. Once you got a good angle have a friend/kid/significant other/bum who wants booze money to hold it while you do some quick measurements..

I found that is very helpful because you usually want symmentry between two subs.. and this really helps.

Anyways, i've rambled.

Cheers! good luck!

PICS!
Old 10-27-2006, 01:51 AM

any pics?