Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Good setup for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good setup for the money?

I had a few threads before where I was trying to get a basis for a good setup for around 1k-2k. Well my budget changed for the better, but even if it didn't, I'm a sucker for high quality/high end electronics. I have been working with a local car stereo/home theater expert to piece together a good system for audio quality, not for DB, SPL, or anything else. Audio quality is prime; however, I do like to occasionally (once a month or so) cruise the main street with the bass up to look flashy, so having that option is a plus.

Here is what we have put together so far:

Head unit = Pioneer AVIC-D3X (bluetooth, ipod, nav, bypass... 2007 model)
Components = Arc Audio 6000 series components
Component amp = Arc Audio Foose edition FD4100
Sub Amp = Arc Audio Foose edition FD1200.1
Subs = (2x) Digital Designs 2510's
Box = Custom crafted composite box ~3.5 cubic feet to maximize DD's design and trunk space, added depth for lower tuning
Kinetic 1800 Power Cell running parallel to starter battery
1ga wire w/ breaker
Full car Dynamat

Total including labor = ~4500

I have already purchased the subs, box, and sub amp. The rest (components and such) has some flexibility, and the actual order to Digital Designs for the 2 subs hasn't been placed either (it will be placed monday). So, if anybody feels strongly that something should be changed, PLEASE let me know. If you guys think its a pretty good setup for SQ, let me know too.

Come on, my turn Emperor!

Last edited by James Rayth; 03-02-2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 AM

Well ive never actually heard a DD but Ive only heard good things about them. Everything sounds good.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:25 AM

We carry the 2510's in stock and they are a pretty mean SPL sub especially for the money. They are going to be pretty decent for SQ as well but definetly built to go loud. If you care at all about going loud you can definitely put more power to them than you have with that 1200.1 but other than that everything looks pretty good. One suggestion, I don't know if the cobalts are as bad but sound deadening was a must in my redline for the doors especially. I see you have it listed but I would definetly take some time on those doors and deaden them as best you can.

What is your box design like?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:00 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
if your box designer has an idea wtf he is doing you dont ad depth to anything to tune it differently... you design it right, use a fuse instead of a breaker. A breaker is nice but each time it blows you get more resistance so its usually cheaper for the fuses and they end up higher quality if they arent cheap ass fuses

oh hey make the shop fit both batteries side by side. It can be done and takes a bit of thinking but if they can pull it off without making it look like **** then thats a decent shop.

I always give a shop a bullshit test before i spend a dime there, no matter what if they cant figure something simple like fitting a battery in a trunk then they shouldnt be designing "custom" composite boxes made out of supermans cape

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 03-02-2008 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always give a shop a bullshit test before i spend a dime there
And all this time I thought you were an installer

Somehow I don't see you taking your car to a shop and letting them "go at it"
Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 AM

i am an installer but theres some stuff that i wont do (ive done most of my car thou)..... and i was sorta giving a heads up to whoever reads the thread because honestly 4500 is a **** load of money. I dont know about james's situation but one of the reason the shop where i work at does so well is because our competition honestly is very narrow minded and they tend to sell systems in at that price range that just sound ok. If you drop that kind of cash it shouldnt be ok it should be the ****.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by raptors_67
We carry the 2510's in stock and they are a pretty mean SPL sub especially for the money. They are going to be pretty decent for SQ as well but definetly built to go loud. If you care at all about going loud you can definitely put more power to them than you have with that 1200.1 but other than that everything looks pretty good. One suggestion, I don't know if the cobalts are as bad but sound deadening was a must in my redline for the doors especially. I see you have it listed but I would definetly take some time on those doors and deaden them as best you can.

What is your box design like?
Right now they are coming up with 3 different designs for me to look at. I'll be sure to post them here to see what the experts here think of them as well.
Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
i am an installer but theres some stuff that i wont do (ive done most of my car thou)..... and i was sorta giving a heads up to whoever reads the thread because honestly 4500 is a **** load of money. I dont know about james's situation but one of the reason the shop where i work at does so well is because our competition honestly is very narrow minded and they tend to sell systems in at that price range that just sound ok. If you drop that kind of cash it shouldnt be ok it should be the ****.
So then tell me, if the battery gets mounted next to the stock battery, and if the box gets designed right, would this 4500 system be "the ****"? Because if not, that was the whole point of this tread, tell me if anything needs to be considered as alternatives for a similar price for better SQ performance.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:02 AM
pik

SQ wise, while the D3 is a nice entry level nav unit. it is not an sq unit, you might want to look at kenwood or eclipse units at least they both utilize 24 bit DAC's and the eclipse's have nice customization with some time alignment and crossover control as well. For SQ subs I personally don't think you can beat Image Dynamics, they just redid their IDQ's and since they are made for small enclosures you can get your trunk back, (you're at 3.5 cubes right now, IDQ 12's are made for .4-.6 cubes, a huge difference in a small car)
Old 03-02-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by pik
SQ wise, while the D3 is a nice entry level nav unit. it is not an sq unit, you might want to look at kenwood or eclipse units at least they both utilize 24 bit DAC's and the eclipse's have nice customization with some time alignment and crossover control as well. For SQ subs I personally don't think you can beat Image Dynamics, they just redid their IDQ's and since they are made for small enclosures you can get your trunk back, (you're at 3.5 cubes right now, IDQ 12's are made for .4-.6 cubes, a huge difference in a small car)
Awesome that is exactly what I'm looking for, really good advice with reasoning!

Can you give me some models for the Kenwoods or Alpine's? Navigation isn't needed, it was just a bonus for me on that AVIC, neither is DVD. I would like ipod controller capable/ready and blootooth if possible. I prefer double-din, but again sound quality is the most important factor, so if there is a really good deck with ipod that doesn't have bluetooth or is single din, it still would still be a better deck in my opinion then one without crossovers or DAC's.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at the Eclipse
IMO there the ****
Old 03-02-2008, 02:55 PM
pik

SQ hasn't really moved into the double din/nav units. alot of people have it hard for the avic-d3, i like it myself, it does look nice in the cobalts dash. I've personally always wanted the Clarion DRZ-9255 it's an excellent CD transport but doesn't have the day to day stuff that i use (ipods, Sirius etc) Alot of people love the Nakamichi decks as well pure SQ transport but no extra flexibility. Right now I have a pioneer setup with the Premier 880prs --lets you have a huge amount of tuning capabilities and all the extra stuff. that was a carryover from my Olds alero though, so i didn't have the option for a double din.

Personally I'm really looking at the Kenwood DNX7120 i don't think there is alot of processing here but it does have upgraded DAC's and as far a Nav it uses garmin software. only 2V pre-outs.

also the Eclipse units. the AVN 6620 has 5V pre outs, 7 band PEQ, 24 bit proc., but no Time alignment, does have all the bluetooth, ipod stuff available.

tuff call really the double din look sweet in our cars but from a PURE SQ standpoint the single Dins are still where its at.

Oh alpine has thier Double as well I just don't like how they set it up for Navigation, tho more than a few people have used the IVA-W200, now 205 i think with the PXA/H701 processor (which has VERY good tuning abilities)

making a note that these are just my opinions from the research i have been doing, and experience in the past YMMV.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:08 PM

What do you think about the new Pioneer FH-P800BT?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:20 PM
pik

Originally Posted by James Rayth
What do you think about the new Pioneer FH-P800BT?
i think its nice but it still doesn't have the processing goodies, i'm likin this http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/DEH-P800PRS

it's the update to my 880

but it is only single din
Old 03-02-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by James Rayth
Right now they are coming up with 3 different designs for me to look at. I'll be sure to post them here to see what the experts here think of them as well.

So then tell me, if the battery gets mounted next to the stock battery, and if the box gets designed right, would this 4500 system be "the ****"? Because if not, that was the whole point of this tread, tell me if anything needs to be considered as alternatives for a similar price for better SQ performance.
well the battery doesnt HAVE to be mounted right there but it would be very clean. Overall its going to be very install dependant if it sounds the ****. You can take good equiptment and completely **** it up if you dont know what your doing.

Since you brought up different hu ideas i would look at either the 800 or 880prs units. Also i would read up a bit on second skin audio products. If you put some damplifier and a speaker tweeker behind your midranges they would sound quite a bit better. Also the stock grill tends to muffle the sound a bit. Another thing you may want to consider is how much this car is going to rattle and possibly preventing it.

i would very much like to see what box designs ur looking at getting. If those dds arent in the correct box they arent going to sound like dds.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:13 PM

well the battery doesnt HAVE to be mounted right there but it would be very clean. Overall its going to be very install dependant if it sounds the ****. You can take good equiptment and completely **** it up if you dont know what your doing.

Since you brought up different hu ideas i would look at either the 800 or 880prs units. Also i would read up a bit on second skin audio products. If you put some damplifier and a speaker tweeker behind your midranges they would sound quite a bit better. Also the stock grill tends to muffle the sound a bit. Another thing you may want to consider is how much this car is going to rattle and possibly preventing it.

i would very much like to see what box designs ur looking at getting. If those dds arent in the correct box they arent going to sound like dds.
I'll check out second skin and see what I could incorporate. I am dynomating the entire car (roof, doors, trunk) and replacing the headliner with black suede. I totally understand the concern about the box for the DD's and I made it very clear that I would like to stick to DD's recommendations. I was assured this company specializes first and foremost in DD enclosures, that is their niche. I'll get the company name with the different designs for you on Monday.

I'm looking at the HU's now...
Old 03-02-2008, 07:29 PM

cool. Dynamat extreme and second skin are very similar. I prefer the SSA because the adhesive is a bit better and installer friendly... and the foil is much thicker giving you better preformance. (plus i prefer the look without the logo everywhere) But whatever you do dont buy the regular dynamat its asphalt based and an inferior product. Stick to dynamat extreme or second skin damplifier products
Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 PM

What about the Kenwood DDX-7019 or Panasonic Strada (CN-NVD905U)?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:18 AM

I'm running the clarion DRZ-9255 in my silverado and you're right about the day to day stuff pik. I added the 6 disc changer to it so I could at least have the MP3 capabilities and you can add sirius to it too I believe. I'd definitely have to second the Kenwood unit over the Pioneer. If i ever decide to do anything HU wise to the redline it will be the DNX7100, the only thing that has really held me up is some of the SQ stuff like only having 2 volt pre-outs.... things like that. I'm partial to it because we sell them but I'm pretty impressed by everything it has to offer. I've also used the Panasonic before and found the Nav to be really good but the DVD playback did not look as good as the Kenwood. I can't recall about differences in sound though. I have no idea about price points either though so that's always a concern.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:49 AM

I decided on the Pioneer FH-P800BT deck with an Arc XEQ eq/crossover.

As for the box, they are getting me a diagram, but it is a 3.5 cu/ft box. The box was designed with SQ in mind, the speakers are on either side of the box with a long port running down the center. Three people were all involved in the design; a tech from Digital Designs was one of them. The box is made out of a composite material which is lighter then MDF but has 0 flex, and coated with an indestructible liner that is used by the military to transport warheads.

More info coming.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:49 AM

well in crutchfield.com its says that radio doesn't fit out cars so you should check that out.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:31 AM
pik

Originally Posted by djblass
well in crutchfield.com its says that radio doesn't fit out cars so you should check that out.
if any modification is required, crutchfield will always say it won't fit. all it requires is removal of the metal bar behind the radio. crutchfield also says all the nav units wont fit ad we have seen plenty of pics otherwise
Old 03-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Yeah its because most of the pioneer double din units are deeper then our bay, so you have to bend or cut the metal frame in the back of the bay but it is easy.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:11 AM

right its the depth... they only have to cut the plastic. the metal bar is supposed to come out somehow
Old 03-05-2008, 06:54 AM
pik

right its the depth... they only have to cut the plastic. the metal bar is supposed to come out somehow
10mm x 4 bolts, and not fun to get to
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 AM

ya i only removed the easy 2 or 3 and said **** it