Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Google phone = hands free calling

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Google phone = hands free calling

I have some awesome news, and I'm so excited that I just had to share it. When I moved to Virginia I was told that headsets such as bluetooth for phones is illegal to use while driving. Also, everybody hates people who talk on the cell phone while driving. This works for all Cobalts and HHR's with 2007+ factory radios. Sorry 05-06 Cobalts, your news as to whether this will work will have to wait until tomorrow, although I anticipate that it will.

Well, here's the news:

Have any of you ever tried making a phone call with OnStar? I think it's the coolest thing. You just push a button and you hear everything through a speaker on the dash. I have just found a way to replicate that without utilizing any OnStar components. All you have to do is go to Radio Shack and buy one cable. No modding, of anything, is needed. What I purchased is a 6 foot audio cable with male connectors on both ends (part # 42-2387). Plug one side into the Aux Input jack on the stereo, and the other end into an adapter for your phone. My wife and I have the Google phone, which came with a type of adapter that also has the microphone. For those who don't have the Google phone, you may have to create an adapter for this to work for your phone. Now, you can listen to the radio like you normally would, but once you hear your phone ring press the cd/aux button on the radio. You will then hear the phone ring through your car speakers. Then, push whatever you button on your phone you need to in order to start the call. Your microphone should be able to pick up your voice even though it is wherever you keep your phone (I keep mine in the cupholders).

05-06 Cobalts will have to wait until tomorrow to see if this will work as I'm going to attempt it on my 06 SS/SC with XM. I'm pretty sure it will since I'll be using this thread to help out (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/how-add-aux-input-pre-07-cobalts-184854/). I'll let you all know tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update:

Using the How To on adding an aux port to a 05-06 radio with XM, results were marginal. Yes, it worked, but with the phone and radio volumes at 100% on both, you could not hear what the person on the other line was saying unless you put your ear next to the speaker. Even then it was almost inaudible.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I think I just need to amplify sound some way. If nothing is successful I will just buy a new stereo with an auxilary jack built in.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
what types of plugs are u using for the 05-06 adapter? just the headphone jack?

soldering the connection should help out a little bit but if you have rcas running thru there you can add a line driver to get more signal

http://www.installedge.com/products/...&item_id=57536

buying a new radio sounds like a much better option thou