Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Have any of you quit running rear speakers for better soundstage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think of it this way for those who don't understand staging...

When you go to a concert, where are the people singing? Where are the speakers located?

Unless you listen to music in an elevator all the speakers are upfront facing towards you. At concerts, the artist sings in front of you.

Rear staging is just for "fill" or so the people in the back seats hear more than just your woofers or midbass.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
While removing rear speakers will make it sound more like a concert type environment you also have to take in to consideration placement. With you stock system flat and center fade/balance where do you mainly hear sound from? Can you hear the 6X9s in the back yes but the fronts are so much closer they sound louder. So looking at the stock system removing the rears will make it sound alot more like a concert but at the expense of alot of volume/sound.

Now take it a step further and leave the stock speakers in the back and replace the fronts with a good set of 6.5s sealed up in the door with some second skin/dynamat in the doors (1sq ft per door). You now have much more and much better sound from the front and the rears cant and wont keep up BUT as long as they aren't distorting they will be adding volume/sound and honestly helping out the fronts a lil bit (since they don't have to work as hard to get as loud).

One last thing to keep in mind is the stock stereo has an eq in it. When you turn up the volume knob up louder at a certain point it starts to cut out both the treble and bass to "save your speakers" Good idea for GM but doesn't help us car audio peeps much. Ultimately that doesn't mean much if your looking for good sound (which you are) but if your looking for actual sound quality competition style your looking for a completely flat frequency response and that cant be had with the stock HU unless you have a processor. Mind you a completely flat response will normally sound "bad" to most people including me and a 100% flat response is a bit difficult to attempt to get at.

What I'm trying to point out in that last paragraph is take what you hear with a grain of salt. Everyone has different tastes and while most can tell you tricks and have good advice to get their own definition of good sound you must remember who your trying to impress. As you get deeper into car audio your going to understand more what your tastes are and what you think sounds good and you need to do what you like best. I've sat in a few of the sq world champions vehicles along with several manufacture built sq demo cars and while i understand and appreciate how "good" they sound and how well the replicate a concert or the artists original recording i at the same time would rather have my system. They may look real nice on the RTA meter and sound exactly how the owner like to hear it but every single one has one thing id prefer louder or quieter. So at the end of the day make sure what your doing makes you happy. The only wrong answer is the one that makes you disappointed
Old 03-06-2009, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
While removing rear speakers will make it sound more like a concert type environment you also have to take in to consideration placement. With you stock system flat and center fade/balance where do you mainly hear sound from? Can you hear the 6X9s in the back yes but the fronts are so much closer they sound louder. So looking at the stock system removing the rears will make it sound alot more like a concert but at the expense of alot of volume/sound.

Now take it a step further and leave the stock speakers in the back and replace the fronts with a good set of 6.5s sealed up in the door with some second skin/dynamat in the doors (1sq ft per door). You now have much more and much better sound from the front and the rears cant and wont keep up BUT as long as they aren't distorting they will be adding volume/sound and honestly helping out the fronts a lil bit (since they don't have to work as hard to get as loud).

One last thing to keep in mind is the stock stereo has an eq in it. When you turn up the volume knob up louder at a certain point it starts to cut out both the treble and bass to "save your speakers" Good idea for GM but doesn't help us car audio peeps much. Ultimately that doesn't mean much if your looking for good sound (which you are) but if your looking for actual sound quality competition style your looking for a completely flat frequency response and that cant be had with the stock HU unless you have a processor. Mind you a completely flat response will normally sound "bad" to most people including me and a 100% flat response is a bit difficult to attempt to get at.

What I'm trying to point out in that last paragraph is take what you hear with a grain of salt. Everyone has different tastes and while most can tell you tricks and have good advice to get their own definition of good sound you must remember who your trying to impress. As you get deeper into car audio your going to understand more what your tastes are and what you think sounds good and you need to do what you like best. I've sat in a few of the sq world champions vehicles along with several manufacture built sq demo cars and while i understand and appreciate how "good" they sound and how well the replicate a concert or the artists original recording i at the same time would rather have my system. They may look real nice on the RTA meter and sound exactly how the owner like to hear it but every single one has one thing id prefer louder or quieter. So at the end of the day make sure what your doing makes you happy. The only wrong answer is the one that makes you disappointed
Yet another AMAZING response...so Emp in your opinion...
If I want to get the best sound quality (not concert like) what should be my further additions/changes to my system...
I have the stock HU, Kicker KS components up front w/the tweeters in the A-pillars, KS 6x9s in the rear and a 10" Kicker sub in a sealed box in the rear...I forget the series...DT maybe? I know its not their top of the line. Sub is amped by a 750w I believe and speakers are running off the HU.

Clarity and volume are my two main goals...

Last edited by JL-KA; 03-06-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-06-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
thanks... lol even thou i forgot some words in a few places (just read it again and i found 2 places that were odd)

Personally id probably do the mids amp (with the LOC's behind the dash) or a deck (get one with 3 preouts if you might ever want to do a mids amp). Id normally say deck all the way but some people like/ want the stock one and while its not the best you don't "have" to change it out. With the deck you would get alot of expandability and more control of your overall sound (sub control) and a little more power for your mids/highs. The 4 channel will obviously give you much more power and much cleaner sound at that. You can also do quite a bit to upgrade the bass too if you wanted to
Old 03-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
thanks... lol even thou i forgot some words in a few places (just read it again and i found 2 places that were odd)

Personally id probably do the mids amp (with the LOC's behind the dash) or a deck (get one with 3 preouts if you might ever want to do a mids amp). Id normally say deck all the way but some people like/ want the stock one and while its not the best you don't "have" to change it out. With the deck you would get alot of expandability and more control of your overall sound (sub control) and a little more power for your mids/highs. The 4 channel will obviously give you much more power and much cleaner sound at that. You can also do quite a bit to upgrade the bass too if you wanted to
Noob question...what does LOC stand for?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:51 PM

^^^ Line Output Converter