Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Head unit wiring harness help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redpiranhacobalt
THERE ARE NO HARNESS' MADE FOR 2007 YET! thats why we did it ourselves...

no company makes them yet.
I see, thanks for the info. Is it hard to have On-star work with a Pioneer avic-z1? If hooked up properly, will the Pioneer mute itself when we use on-star?
Old 03-17-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts
Connector 1

pin 1 - red/white / battery positive voltage
pin 2-3 blank
pin 4 - dark green / right front speaker positive
pin 5 - light green / right front speaker negative
pin 6 - grey / left front speaker negative
pin 7 - tan / left front speaker positive
pin 8 - black/white / ground
pin 9 - dark green GMLAN low speed serial data

Thats it for connector 1

Connector 2
pin 1-3 blank
pin 4 - dark blue/ right rear speaker positive
pin 5 - light blue / right rear speaker negative
pin 6 - brown / left rear speaker positive
pin 7 - yellow / left rear speaker negative
pin 8 - pink/black cellular telephone voice signal
pin 16 - orange/black / Cellular telephone voice low reference

* pin 8 and 16 in C2 may be blank if u dont have onstar

Thats its . Pretty simple for the base radio

~~~~~~~~~ FROM SILVERSS/SC
This is for the base h/u in an 07?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:29 PM

^^^ Yes , that was for the base model radio .
Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 PM

Harness For 2007 Chevy Colbalt

I joined this forum just for this one reply. I just bought a cobalt yesterday tho
you can order the wiring harness for a new hu from scoche via telephone.

The number is 1-800-621-3695

ext 1

Say you are a consumer

the part number is GM21SR
Old 07-10-2007, 11:17 PM

Angry

**** I bought this harness a few weeks ago and was going to do the install this weekend....I have an 06 SS/SC. You have to be kidding me! I got it from an ebay user called Tunaboy
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 AM

So your chimes will not work, the dimmer doesnt matter. But you will have no chimes, which voids the warranty, so you will have to put the stock radio back in when you take your car to the dealer.
How exactly does not having chime for when youre seatbelt isnt on, or for when youre key is in the ignition and the door is open void the warranty? Im almost 100% positive that they have to prove that a unaproved mod to the car directly is responsible for causing somethning to go wrong for it to void the warrante. Since Im not working tomorrow (actualy now its today) Ill call the dealer, or stop by, and ask about this. But like I said Im almost 100% positive that there not gonna recomend it, but it wont void ****.

Sean
Old 07-16-2007, 08:10 PM

2) With RCA cables plugged in the back of my headunit, it wouldnt fit into the dash.... So i had to go to radio shack, and get the elbow out the side, rca plugs, and cut the old cables and wire the new plugs in myself.

After that though, everything works great! subs and all.

I did not have to get new plugs....I just cut into the plastic behind there so that the plugs would fit.

We just put my headunit in this weekend. We hardwired rca plugs to the amp wires and plugged them into the back of my premier. I did not need a 120-200 system that a stereo shop was trying to sell me. Everything works just fine except I do nto have the dimmer for my headunit, but that is easily forgotten about. I also lost XM....my subscription is up in a few days anyways and I did not want a hideous receiver in my car either. Anyways, I am happy on how it turned out. Anybody know what Paint code and name is used on the dashboard panels of the SS/SC...? I want to paint the installation kit the same color silver as the reast of the dash. The tag on the back on the piece, with the SS symbol on it, said satin nickel....*shrugs*..

Last edited by MAJIN; 07-16-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Broke EF
How exactly does not having chime for when youre seatbelt isnt on, or for when youre key is in the ignition and the door is open void the warranty? Im almost 100% positive that they have to prove that a unaproved mod to the car directly is responsible for causing somethning to go wrong for it to void the warrante. Since Im not working tomorrow (actualy now its today) Ill call the dealer, or stop by, and ask about this. But like I said Im almost 100% positive that there not gonna recomend it, but it wont void ****.

Sean

Its because of safety issues. The chimes are there to alert you of things. IE check engine light comes on or something, or low fuel, it will chime. As well as the seat belt alarm. With these disabled... It could be void for safety reasons only.. thats what i mean.

And yes you do need to get rca elbows to install a headunit on an 07. The dash is too shallow for regular rca cable lengths.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:09 PM

UPDATE: Just put a new Head unit in my dash for the 07... with those RCA elbows.... the ******* elbows would not fit in the back of the head unit!!! because of an indentation, they have to slide into, but cannot because the elbows are blocking them! lol, so shop wisely! I made it work but its like hanging in there.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
The wiring kit is NOT over $100, and cutting apart the factory harness is a pretty stupid thing to do, IMO.
y would u cut the factory harness, there are ways to tap into it. The 06 cobalt DOES NOT need the harness.

Its because of safety issues. The chimes are there to alert you of things. IE check engine light comes on or something, or low fuel, it will chime. As well as the seat belt alarm. With these disabled... It could be void for safety reasons only.. thats what i mean.

And yes you do need to get rca elbows to install a headunit on an 07. The dash is too shallow for regular rca cable lengths.
so ur saying that in 07 they changed the depth of the dash....lol really? i find that hard to believe.

Last edited by kingg5; 12-28-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-28-2010, 07:39 PM

kingg5, you are correct they most likely did not change the dash depth. My fault, It is probably because my head unit would not fit using standard RCA cables. I did not realize this until after running all of the wires through the upholstery of the car. So then I had to splice, and connect the elbow joint connections for proper fitting on the rear of the cd player / head unit. You might be able to move wires around and shove stuff in corners to get it to fit. I struggled for a while, and could not resolve the issue, it kept pushing my rca's against the back wall of the dash, so to avoid breaking them in the shifting (which has happened to me in other cars, where the pin of the rca breaks into the cd player) I just put on the elbows. I did not try with my newer head unit, however It is not as long/deep as my original.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 PM

I know that with my Avic D3 that i had no problem at all and thats including all the add on devices plugged in and 4 sets of rca wires. Same with the Z2 I had previously its all in how you push them wires down and have them grouped together.