Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Headunit Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my alpine has built in crossovers...set that bad lad on 60-80Hz and they'll scream like a banshee....careful not to make 'em scream too loud if they're stockies tho
Old 01-20-2007, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by chillfactor
i got the same head unit with the ipod adater it works great. what speakers u running around stock or aftermarket.
stock...but i wanna get pioneers to match the headunit!

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
So in other words (sorry,I like to be perfectly clear) if you use the install kit from C-A (50 bucks) and the radio (150 bucks) and you're good to go? No strings attatched? Nothing extra, at all? Ad everything will work perfect? DIC and all? Because I'm not buying some 180 dollar wiring harness to let me be able to reset my oil life monitor and stuff. Please let me know!!! I want to buy this Alpine unit. The main reason I want to do this is to use my Zune in the car. I don't have a tape player, and I hate FM transmitters.
Go for it! everything works in mine, and I to this day have my DIC...I didn't have to get my oil changed yet so I won't know about oil life until then!

Originally Posted by JPizzle
It looks good. Does it make the speakers louder???
I wouldn't say loud, but they are alot clearer

Last edited by 07LaserBlueSS; 01-20-2007 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-20-2007, 09:52 AM

for the love of god people. changing the radio will do NOTHING absolutly NOTHING to the car. everything will be the same. I repeat NOTHING AT ALL!!! The only time it affects the car and i mean the ONLY TIME....is when you have ONSTAR and XM radio...THATS IT. If you don't have these thing then YOUR FINE!!!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:33 AM

only thing keeping me from getting this now is the steering wheel controls. i really like them so i would have to get the adapter and that costs money
Old 01-20-2007, 11:12 AM

Yeah, how much is that adaptor for the steering wheel? I bately ever use those controls, but things not working on a new car drive me crazy.

BTW: If I do this radio swap, and my **** doesn't work, I'm comming to your front door 06Persuit.

But yeah, I was half tempted to buy a Pioneer headunit to match all my speakers, but I'm going Alpine. I have an old Alpine in my GP, and I love it. I've put 2 Pioneers in my other 2 cars and loved those too, but it's time for a change...

Also, can you still control your subwoofer? If not through the radio, how? I mean, I always put mine all the way up, but if I have sports radio, or stand up comedy on, I'm not gonna want max bass. lol.

Lastly, I went to the Chevy dealership yesterday to try to see if I could get a paint code for the SS silver dash trim, I couldn't. So whah would be the best way of matching that color? I'm not leaving that CD player trim black.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow for the love of god, AIRBAG sensor everyone is talking about is in the 06+ models... 05's dont have them no matter what trim level. lets clear that up before we spread even more rumors on this site then there already is
Old 01-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
the steering wheel control adapter is ~60 bucks
Old 01-22-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
wow for the love of god, AIRBAG sensor everyone is talking about is in the 06+ models... 05's dont have them no matter what trim level. lets clear that up before we spread even more rumors on this site then there already is
The 05 Cobalts at Avis rental car where I just so happened to work at had the airbag sensors... some didn't some did... like I said, it depends on the model... oh yeah, and the 05 broshure I still have from when I got my 05 Cobalt LS mentions the airbag sensor...
Old 01-23-2007, 01:11 PM

didn't i answer this a long tima ago?

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
im pretty sure it has to do with the heated seats option
Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Can you hook up the aftermarket headunit to the factory amp to run the factory speakers?

Oh ya, I've got a faceplate kit and antenna adapter I'd be willing to sell too if anyone in Canada is looking. It's brand new in the package. Just PM me.

Last edited by BlackSS/SC; 01-23-2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-23-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSS/SC
Can you hook up the aftermarket headunit to the factory amp to run the factory speakers?

So in other words, aftermarket radio, stock Pioneer everything else? I was wondering that too. I'm assuming yes...
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 PM

if you were lucky enough to get seats with sensors in them, then you'll have the airbag thingy in the middle dash. (my leather Recaro's don't, nor do my 05 LS's sport cloth) The steering wheel adapter is about 50$ and 30 min to install and program (unless your unit has a input in the back for remote) The 05 Cobalt will have no problems with removall of the factory radio unless you have XM or Onstar, then your going to need a more expensive wire harness (for Onstar) or a adapter for XM to the new radio. 06 cobalts are the same as 05's. I don't know about 07's though, they do have some differences from the 05/06's.

If you have any more questions, let me know.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:13 PM

my seats have a harness but no airbag sensor or heated seats
Old 01-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
Yeah, how much is that adaptor for the steering wheel? I bately ever use those controls, but things not working on a new car drive me crazy.

BTW: If I do this radio swap, and my **** doesn't work, I'm comming to your front door 06Persuit.

But yeah, I was half tempted to buy a Pioneer headunit to match all my speakers, but I'm going Alpine. I have an old Alpine in my GP, and I love it. I've put 2 Pioneers in my other 2 cars and loved those too, but it's time for a change...

Also, can you still control your subwoofer? If not through the radio, how? I mean, I always put mine all the way up, but if I have sports radio, or stand up comedy on, I'm not gonna want max bass. lol.

Lastly, I went to the Chevy dealership yesterday to try to see if I could get a paint code for the SS silver dash trim, I couldn't. So whah would be the best way of matching that color? I'm not leaving that CD player trim black.
I don't have the factory sub...sorry could tell ya!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:31 PM

sweet and now you have an extra storage area to boot !
Old 01-24-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS
sweet and now you have an extra storage area to boot !
I'm gonna be losing my truck space to a rockford fosgate 10" and a quantum audio amp lol
Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 PM

So, look, everyone who's doing this mainly has the Pioneer system? Do the Pioneer speakers sound good after you change the radio? The only real reason I'm doing this is because I want to play my Zune through my radio, and I don't want to use an FM transmitter. If this is the case, and it's a big issue to change over o an aftermarket unit, could I get a factory Aux radio from an 07 and plug and play? That's the main thing I want out of this deal. lol.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:00 PM

What about replacing the facory sub and amp. I want to keep the factory radio (very conscious about thieves) but I don't think the sub is up to par (used to work for Avis, I've heard the 7 speaker system several tyms, not enough for me)... Can I upgrade to a single twelve in the back with a custom enclosure in the same place and then through my JBL amp in where the stock amp was (where is it anyway???), would that work??? Would I have to rewire anything??? Could do it myself but would rather not if I can avoid it. Basically, I want to know if I can rip the old amp out and through the new one in without changing the wires.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:11 PM

No, the factory sub won't win you any sound competitions. But I think it does a pretty damn good job for anything factory. I had that factory 10 back there, plus 2 Infinity Perfect 10's that I had from my Cadilla, and it was WAY too much. But God, did it hit every single bass line.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Right now I have an aftermarket H/U, MB Quart components including crossovers, a 300 watt JBL amp, and one Alpine type E 12" sup. It's perfect for me. The perfect setup. Don't need much air movement in this car to make it bump. So I wanted the same setup in the SS/SC when I get it. How's the quality of the mids and highs stock??? Are they of any better quality than the base models??? I can't remember. The base can't handle bass too much but my H/U filters it out of the rears fairly well. If that's true with the SS's then I'll just get a cheap 4 channel and yank the bass out that way.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTieaga
What about replacing the facory sub and amp. I want to keep the factory radio (very conscious about thieves) but I don't think the sub is up to par (used to work for Avis, I've heard the 7 speaker system several tyms, not enough for me)... Can I upgrade to a single twelve in the back with a custom enclosure in the same place and then through my JBL amp in where the stock amp was (where is it anyway???), would that work??? Would I have to rewire anything??? Could do it myself but would rather not if I can avoid it. Basically, I want to know if I can rip the old amp out and through the new one in without changing the wires.
ya i doubt you would be able to fit anything where the stock amp is... its above the pedals... um interms of wireing it could be done but again your going to run into issues with the amp location... but you may be able to cut the connectors at the amp (stock) then soder the correct wires togther and you should be somewhat golden (will probably need some rewire along the way as well). Also your amp will need high level inputs.

Originally Posted by TexasTieaga
Right now I have an aftermarket H/U, MB Quart components including crossovers, a 300 watt JBL amp, and one Alpine type E 12" sup. It's perfect for me. The perfect setup. Don't need much air movement in this car to make it bump. So I wanted the same setup in the SS/SC when I get it. How's the quality of the mids and highs stock??? Are they of any better quality than the base models??? I can't remember. The base can't handle bass too much but my H/U filters it out of the rears fairly well. If that's true with the SS's then I'll just get a cheap 4 channel and yank the bass out that way.
if you dont want bass get some bass blockers cheaper too (less efficent thou)

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 01-25-2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-13-2007, 10:20 PM

u can keep the stock system with a new head unit but its more money out of ur pocket. but other wise uhave to by pass the stock amp by dissconneting the stock wires form the speakers and running new ones from the speakers tothe headunit thats also a pain but its a lil better if u ask me so u dont waste money to keep the stock amp
Old 02-17-2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by xspyder85x
looks very similar to mine:

The only thing I dont like there is how the face sticks out like it is. Is there anyway that you could mount it deeper? or is there no room there to mount it? also is that a ISO mount?
Old 02-17-2007, 12:50 AM

So I can't just leave my factory speakers/amp/sub now???
Old 02-17-2007, 01:05 AM

You should be able to. I dont see why you wouldn't be able to.

Quick Reply: Headunit Install