Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

help on indash dvd and screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help on indash dvd and screen

I am new to the indash dvd players with flip out screens and am wanting to install one in my car. I have put hundreds of headunits in before but i did not know if the wiring was the same or if there is a bunch of other wireing that would have to be done. i am wanting to buy one from curcitcity and i wont let them touch my car to install it for me...i had bad experiences with them wiring stuff for me before. and the kept on giving me the run around when i ask how hard they were to install. Any help or tips would be great. I just want to know how hard they are to install. i dont want to know if you think that they are a waste of time or look bad....thanks
Old 11-10-2006, 01:55 AM

I did a flip out moniter on my truck before I had the cobalt and it honestly wasn't too bad. It was only a screen though and not a complete head unit but if you know about wiring and installing speakers and what not (etc.) you'll be fine. It just takes a little bit longer.

If you have any problems PM me and I'll try to help!

-Adam aka drift
Old 11-10-2006, 09:22 AM

theres usually two extra wires for screens, and three extra for nav units.

two extra is usually a parking brake wire, which hooks to your parking brake, to legally install your tv.and a reverse wire (hooks to the wire that lights when you go in reverse, for back up cams)
three extra are usually, parking brake, a speed sense wire (hooks to your cars VSS wire) and a reverse wire (hooks to the wire that lights when you go in reverse, for back up cams) and a reverse wire
Old 11-10-2006, 10:48 AM

thanks for the replys. i searched all over css.net and coulden't find anything on how to install that is why i started this post. but from what u guys said it sound like it should be easy... thanks again
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 AM

i have done 2, mine which is a pos but it does the job and my friends, he has a pioneer avic n2.. and that one has an INSANE AMOUNT OF WIRES!!!! lol hes right.. 3 or 4 extra, but there is a seperate "brain" that gets mounted under the drivers seat and mass wires go of of that i was so shocked.. it took us hours..(it was both of our first time with navi) but thats because it has navi, if it dosent have navi that its the same as a reg deck.. took me about 30 mins.. hardest part was taking off the dash trim..

Good luck post pics!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:09 AM

ive done soo many flip outs. dont let circuit city touch your car. they are not certified installers like best buy or some other audio shops. they are circuit trained no MECP trained. our car is pretty easy to do a radio. i could tell u how to do it. but if u dont want to. i wud go to best buy and have it done there...they warranty all there work even if u want the old factory stuff in. i had circuit install crap in my friends mustang. they scratched the whole dash board when installin a avic-n2. and circuit didnt do nething...cuz the guy said it was there befroe. he took them to court and won a good amount of money. so yeah go to best buy...or if u want to do it urself..let me know ill help ya.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:02 PM

I got it all installed it was very easy. it only took me about an hour to get it all hooked up now i just need to go back and hide all of the wires. i will post pics asap.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:24 PM

hide all the wires? why and where do you have wires showing???
Old 11-17-2006, 10:03 PM

back i think..meanin the trunk..for subs or amps,maybe?
Old 11-18-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by brandisnez
I got it all installed it was very easy. it only took me about an hour to get it all hooked up now i just need to go back and hide all of the wires. i will post pics asap.
what wiring harness did you use?