Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Help with new Sub

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with new Sub

I just ordered a Amp and a Sub today off of ebay, here they are...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CxJsukG...p&I=500SWR1242

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CxJsukG...m&i=130GM7200M

Now heres my question, Im hooking this up to my stock h/u with the base speakers, how do I run this remote turn on wire for the amp from the back of the headunit? How do i get back there and how can i run a wire from behind the dash? Could anyone post some pics on how to get behind there, and what wire is it on our setups? Any help would be greatly apreciated
Old 08-19-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xavipheus
I just ordered a Amp and a Sub today off of ebay, here they are...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CxJsukG...p&I=500SWR1242

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CxJsukG...m&i=130GM7200M

Now heres my question, Im hooking this up to my stock h/u with the base speakers, how do I run this remote turn on wire for the amp from the back of the headunit? How do i get back there and how can i run a wire from behind the dash? Could anyone post some pics on how to get behind there, and what wire is it on our setups? Any help would be greatly apreciated
The stock head unit has no switched power wire going into it or coming out of it, so there is nothing for you to tag back there for a remote turn on wire. What you need to do is wire the remote turn on to the sunroof fuse (if your car has a sunroof fuse, apparently most do even if there is no sunroof) via a fuse tap. This circuit is hot with the key and has RAP (retained accessory power) so the sub will stay on with the key off until a door is opened, just like the radio.

You can run the wire from the fuse box, under the front of the carpet to the passenger side door area, then pull up the plastic lining there and continue running the wire to the back under the carpet.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:56 AM

you should be able to take out the raido by removing some of the dash peices and then when running the wire it is easiest to take off the door sill protectants and run the wire under the carpet from the front seat to the back seat and then under the rear seats in to the trunk ... its fairly easy if you step back and look at where you want the wire to start and finish and look at what can be moved to fit your needs .. if you despritally need pics i have a RL but i can take some pics of what you can do to at least run the wires since i dont have the same dash and radio as you cobalts ... but its all virtually the same
Old 08-19-2006, 12:10 PM

How do I do that? Could you link me to a step by step on doing that? Is there any other fuse I could use if I dont have the sunroof one? (I dont have a sunroof)
Old 08-19-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
The stock head unit has no switched power wire going into it or coming out of it, so there is nothing for you to tag back there for a remote turn on wire. What you need to do is wire the remote turn on to the sunroof fuse (if your car has a sunroof fuse, apparently most do even if there is no sunroof) via a fuse tap. This circuit is hot with the key and has RAP (retained accessory power) so the sub will stay on with the key off until a door is opened, just like the radio.

You can run the wire from the fuse box, under the front of the carpet to the passenger side door area, then pull up the plastic lining there and continue running the wire to the back under the carpet.

well on the RL with the AAS we have a remote wire .... i thought you guys would be the same since chevy always has to +1 saturn on everything for these cars
Old 08-19-2006, 05:41 PM

pits would help,
Old 08-20-2006, 04:48 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

i would run the wire straight into the fuse box in one of the empy accessary fuses
Old 08-20-2006, 06:00 AM

huh?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:40 AM

ok you dont need to go to the back of the radio, there is an access panel on the passenger side floorboard for the fuses, you can use the sunroof, wipers, anything that is on only when the car is on. then run the wire down the passengerside, under the side floor moldings, and into the trunk. then run you inline output converter from your rear speakers, it will have a right a left positive and negative. those will just splice into the rear speaker wires, i think you can figure how they go on your own. then you run your RCA cables from the converter to your amp. install the power and ground wires and your done, for the most part, and the radio stays put
Old 08-20-2006, 09:45 AM

Yeah I know how to do all of that, but what do i do with this wire in the fuse box? Im not clear on what im doing in there
Old 08-20-2006, 09:57 AM

Yeah I know how to do all of that, but what do i do with this wire in the fuse box? Im not clear on what im doing in there
What you are doing is tapping a circuit to get a power source that is hot with the ignition, so your amp turns on with the ignition. There are fuse taps to do this easily (pic at bottom). All you do is pull the fuse out you want to use, put the right side prong through the fuse tap, and the fuse tap gives you a male spade lug that you slide a female spade connector with your remote wire soldered or crimped to it over. Then just run the wire to the back like everyone has said. To access the fuse panel, you need to pull off the panel at the left hand side of the passenger floor. Its in the middle console standing vertically, where your passengers left foot would be.

The fuse tap looks like this:

The little hole on the bottom is where the fuse leg goes through, and the top is the male spade terminal.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the picuture, it still sounds kinda confusing though lol, does anyone happen to have pics of there fuse boxes that they did to setup there system?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the picuture, it still sounds kinda confusing though lol, does anyone happen to have pics of there fuse boxes that they did to setup there system?
It won't be confusing once you see it. You just pull the fuse out and put it back in with the fuse tap sandwiched in.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:46 AM

And then you just clip the wire onto the thing hanging off of the fuse? Or does it get soddered? Or can I just cut some of the wire off and take the metal and twist it around that hole sticking out...Im probably not clear, im trying to google to get an idea how the wire connects to the thing hanging out
Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 AM

Is it safe to be messing around with the fuse box while the batt is plugged in? Should i disconnect the negative before playing around in there?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:17 AM

And then you just clip the wire onto the thing hanging off of the fuse? Or does it get soddered? Or can I just cut some of the wire off and take the metal and twist it around that hole sticking out...Im probably not clear, im trying to google to get an idea how the wire connects to the thing hanging out
You use a female spade terminal, pic at the bottom. You don't want to just strip some wire back and wrap it around. You can get the spade terminals anywhere; local auto parts store, home depot, radio shack, etc. You strip some wire back and insert the bit of bare wire into the spade terminal then crimp it (or you can solder it).

A female spade terminal looks like this:

Old 08-20-2006, 11:51 AM

Heres a link to my fuse box, i just took the pic now, I cant seem to get it to come up in here though...if someone could like draw something that would help lol

http://michaelcivitillo.com/myspace/DSC00687.jpg
Old 08-20-2006, 05:40 PM

im not sure if thats the right fuse or not, but look at your manual and get the wiper fuse. and attatch it to that, kinda like that
Old 08-20-2006, 06:35 PM

Does the fuse tap plug into a unused fuse connection or do i have to pull out a fuse, put the fuse tap in, and then put the fuse in ontop of that? I looked in the manual and it dosent seem like my fuse box matches up at all with the layout in the manual
Old 08-20-2006, 09:04 PM

Does the fuse tap plug into a unused fuse connection or do i have to pull out a fuse, put the fuse tap in, and then put the fuse in ontop of that? I looked in the manual and it dosent seem like my fuse box matches up at all with the layout in the manual
Exactly, you pull out a fuse for a circuit that is already there, put the fuse tap in, and put the fuse back in. I suggest using the sunroof fuse if your car has one. The sunroof fuse will have RAP (retained accessory power) so your sub will stay on when the car is off until a door is opened, like stock. The wiper fuse doesn't have RAP.

Also, I believe you want to tap the right side of the fuse, not the left side like spyder's thing says. If you tap the left side of the fuse you are tapping the circuit BEFORE the fuse, which is bad since if that hot wire grounds out there is no fuse to protect the wiring and it will melt.

The plastic panel that covers the fusebox should have a layout on it. IIRC its a little annoying to get rotated the right way but if you just look at the fuse values and compare them to the map you'll be able to figure it out. I believe the sunroof is one one of the 15 amp fuses.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
Exactly, you pull out a fuse for a circuit that is already there, put the fuse tap in, and put the fuse back in. I suggest using the sunroof fuse if your car has one. The sunroof fuse will have RAP (retained accessory power) so your sub will stay on when the car is off until a door is opened, like stock. The wiper fuse doesn't have RAP.

Also, I believe you want to tap the right side of the fuse, not the left side like spyder's thing says. If you tap the left side of the fuse you are tapping the circuit BEFORE the fuse, which is bad since if that hot wire grounds out there is no fuse to protect the wiring and it will melt.

The plastic panel that covers the fusebox should have a layout on it. IIRC its a little annoying to get rotated the right way but if you just look at the fuse values and compare them to the map you'll be able to figure it out. I believe the sunroof is one one of the 15 amp fuses.
What do you mean? I thought that metal peice went in and then the fuse went in on top of it and that metal peice sticking out connected to the remote wire that connects to the amp, what are you talking about left and right side? Im confused again lol

Btw, thanks guys for being so patient, i really apreciate it
Old 08-21-2006, 08:09 AM

take the fuse out, put the fuse leg through the hole and then put the fuse in
Old 08-21-2006, 09:11 AM

Alright sounds easy, now all I gotta do is figure out which fuse it is, help anyone? lol

BTW since im messing around with the fuses and speaker wire wont this void my warranty? Is the dealer going to care when i bring my car in for service? Im thinking about just disconnecting it when I need to bring it in
Old 08-21-2006, 10:24 AM

um look in the manual and see which one is which, i used the wiper blade fuse, but many people use the sunroof. if you install anything like that it will prolly void your electrica warranty but nothing else should be affected, but dont quote me on it
Old 08-21-2006, 12:33 PM

Ahhh wanna take some pics of your setup and post em up? A picture can say a thousand words ya know hahaha