Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

HELP!!! Wiring!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Wiring!!

Hey guys.

A little more than a month ago, I went ahead and nought a headunit for my Cobalt. It worked great. Installation was surprisingly easy, deck worked well, and the damn dic worked as normal. The only slight imperfection was the loss of steering wheel controls, and the dash kit being black (and it completely clashed with my silver dash trim). Oh well. All is fine and good. Or is it? lol.

A few days later, I hit a speed bump, and through my speakers came a chhhhhhh noise. Damnit. I tapped the radio a little and it stopped. Then randomly when I'd hit bumps, it'd do the same. It seemed to me that the little tray in the dash kit dropped down onto the wires and for reason put strain on them. Seemed odd to me too, but I don't know. Is it just the positioning of my wires in the dash? If I tucked them more, and re-taped the tray up, would that solve most of the issue? When I did the wiring, I had the full Crutchfield install kit, and I followed the ghetto twist-n-tape method. Might that be a slight issue as well? I was considering going back and either crimping or soldering it. Would this be a plan?

And lastly, I want to paint the dash kit to match the silver trim. Anyone do this sucessfully yet? Is there anything pre-bottled, or will I have to go to a paint shop to match it the right way?

I took the radio out a few weeks ago and am still running stock until I can fix the issue here. So please help e out, yooooo! lol.

Thanks!!

Old 04-13-2007, 06:23 PM

Gee. Thanks. Already fixed my own problem.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:35 PM

Ok since you fixed it already thats cool, deff sodder those wires though for a good strong connection, as far as the trim it just pops off, the longest one on the right side first, then one on the right hand side of the steering wheel and then the middle one will pop off
Old 04-13-2007, 06:41 PM

No, I already installed it before. lol. I want to match the dash kit (that's black) to the silver trim so it looks like it belongs there.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
what was the problem?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:23 AM

It sure seems like that little tray dropping down. It wasn't the wiring at all, because while the radio was still out of the dash, I put the accessory power on and started messing around with the wires and there was no noises at all. So I'm really stumped. I just taped the tray super up so it didn't drop anymore and it seemed to fix it. I was driving alot today on alot of bumpy roads with no issues at all. When I re-installed it I didn't have the time to really look and see what the issue was. So I'm not sure. But so far, so good!

Now, anyone have any clue about the silver trim paint???