Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Home Video question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Home Video question

Alright here is the dilema. I got a new HDTV that I want to put in place of our current TV.

THe old TV will move to my room, but the only connection is RF coaxial cable. For some damn reason the cheap ass TV doesn't have a coaxial hookup. Yes, it's weird I looked it up and it for sure doesn't

So i need to know if I can convert the dish network coaxial signal to composite or component

I found something like this: http://www.avdgear.com/product-p/adftbnfm.htm

but I need to know how to get audio and video out of it.

Help please. Cheaper options are my best bet because i don't want to rent another cable box.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure how dish network works but with my cable company if you upgrade to the HD cable box then it uses component cables instead of coxial. Unfortunatly not too familar with those adaptors but it's quite possible it will work.

Not too sure if this would work but a rf modular with a red/yellow/white output might do it...maybe.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051826216013

Last edited by Ducky22287; 08-31-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-31-2008, 03:58 PM

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=090-369

Here you go i use these as component cables i make them myself out of coaxial cable, i work for time Warner cable so i get the coax free. but these work great to run HD component cable if they need to be real long.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
all TVs have a coax in on them if they have a tuner, is this a TV, or just a monitor? do you have a make/model number?

if it has BNC, then it's probably either a professional monitor, or at least a higher end one

Last edited by joeworkstoohard; 08-31-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by joeworkstoohard
all TVs have a coax in on them if they have a tuner, is this a TV, or just a monitor? do you have a make/model number?

if it has BNC, then it's probably either a professional monitor, or at least a higher end one
See i would have thought the tv had coax too but it 1000% does not have it.

Westinghouse W4207 i found it was the main complaint for people that bought it.

Originally Posted by 07hhr
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=090-369

Here you go i use these as component cables i make them myself out of coaxial cable, i work for time Warner cable so i get the coax free. but these work great to run HD component cable if they need to be real long.
But how the hell do you get video and sound out of the coaxial cable if the TV doesn't have it. I'm pissed.

RF demodulator is the only way I can do it, but that's as much as a new HD box from Dish network.

Alright for a recap. I have the HD dish network box upstairs, it's a dual tuner. The second TV is downstairs and would usually be hooked to the RF coaxial cable there, but the damn TV doesn't have it.

Last edited by umrdyldo; 08-31-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-01-2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
See i would have thought the tv had coax too but it 1000% does not have it.

Westinghouse W4207 i found it was the main complaint for people that bought it.

But how the hell do you get video and sound out of the coaxial cable if the TV doesn't have it. I'm pissed.

RF demodulator is the only way I can do it, but that's as much as a new HD box from Dish network.

Alright for a recap. I have the HD dish network box upstairs, it's a dual tuner. The second TV is downstairs and would usually be hooked to the RF coaxial cable there, but the damn TV doesn't have it.
you hook up the audio cables you know the red and whit RCAs out of the box and in to the tv it super easy man.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 07hhr
you hook up the audio cables you know the red and whit RCAs out of the box and in to the tv it super easy man.
I guess no one is reading

Here it is broken down. The only TV signal I have is from a coaxial cable. The TV i have doesn't have a coaxial connection(I know that's weird.) so how the hell do I get the sound and picture converted over to a usable format.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TV does not have a coaxial connection because it does not have an internal tuner of any kind (yes I looked it up). The TV needs an outside tuner (cable box, sat.). You can put all the connection pieces you want on your coaxial cable that runs from the wall but it will not do a damn thing. It needs to run from your direct dish reciever. Problem is the dual tuner part of your HD box was intended to run PIP or watch one show while you record another, hooking the second TV up to the box will wipe those features out.

I don't know how much they are new but I saw used Direct dish recievers on ebay for $20-50 dollars depending on what one you want. If you already have the rest of the equipment then it shouldn't be a problem.

In any case the TV needs an outside tuner, thats why there is no coaxial hook up in the back of it.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Spun
The TV does not have a coaxial connection because it does not have an internal tuner of any kind (yes I looked it up). The TV needs an outside tuner (cable box, sat.). You can put all the connection pieces you want on your coaxial cable that runs from the wall but it will not do a damn thing. It needs to run from your direct dish reciever. Problem is the dual tuner part of your HD box was intended to run PIP or watch one show while you record another, hooking the second TV up to the box will wipe those features out.

I don't know how much they are new but I saw used Direct dish recievers on ebay for $20-50 dollars depending on what one you want. If you already have the rest of the equipment then it shouldn't be a problem.

In any case the TV needs an outside tuner, thats why there is no coaxial hook up in the back of it.
right, i found the same thing. so, here's what you do. use a VCR as your tuner. run the coax into it, and run the line out of it to your monitor.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by joeworkstoohard
right, i found the same thing. so, here's what you do. use a VCR as your tuner. run the coax into it, and run the line out of it to your monitor.
Yep that's the only idea I found.

Anyone have a VCR they want to ship to me. I'll pay shipping. Must have 3 RCA output
Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohh a VCR, thats so old school it might just work.
I never even though of that, good find.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Yep that's the only idea I found.

Anyone have a VCR they want to ship to me. I'll pay shipping. Must have 3 RCA output
i don't have any spare ones that i know of.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:11 PM

thanks for everyone's help. I had a guy at work that's going to give me one. Thank god for the internet or I would have never figured it out.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 AM

I tested the VCR trick and it works. Wow, so old school it's crazy. The picture is close to what it should be. Can't wait for my new Samsung LCD TV today.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 PM

lol, VCR....so simple, yet so old I didn't even think of it....(I install this stuff)