Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Hooking up a system to stock radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooking up a system to stock radio

I already searched and turned up nothing. I want to put a system in my car. Now I know I have to unhook my stock sub so that it doesnt cancel out the aftermarket one but, I want to know what wire I need to tap into for the remote wire so I dont kill my battery. If anyone can help i'd appreacate it. TIA.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i recomend an aftermarket deck with a system, our stock decks suck with the systems, i had a JL W7 hooked up to the stock deck and literally sounded like crap, no control over bass nothing and it sucked, my aftermarket panasonic screen is awsome, the sub sounds so good and the factory speakers sound good too
Old 08-06-2007, 05:56 PM

i did i tin my ls before i go tmy head unit i got the audio shop to put in a toggle switch
Old 08-06-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by oaklandmr
I already searched and turned up nothing. I want to put a system in my car. Now I know I have to unhook my stock sub so that it doesnt cancel out the aftermarket one but, I want to know what wire I need to tap into for the remote wire so I dont kill my battery. If anyone can help i'd appreacate it. TIA.
Just wire up a toggle switch WITH a fuse. And you dont have to unplug the stock sub, just make sure your system is in phase with the stock system.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:22 PM

tap into the lighter fuse, tap the RCA into the 6x9 in the back make sure you get a good rca like the ones that PAC-Audio sell, a little bit pricey but worth the money, make sure you use a cap, the stock battery i believe can only handle one farad, and make sure you tune the hell out of the amp so you can get the right volume with it.....
Old 08-09-2007, 12:50 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
i dont even know where to start.

Oak- hook your remote wire to the sunroof fuse. This will turn on and off the amp like it was stock. If you go with an aftermarket unit then it hook it straight to the deck. Either way you can add a toggle switch for more control like gtx reccommended. Unhook the stock sub because even if you figure out the phase and alight it with time alightment and all kinds of fancy processing its not going to sound great. Either stay stock or go aftermarket mixing the two creates hella problems and is stupid.

Andres- lighter fuse can be done but sunroof fuse is better... the speaker wire to rca unit your talkign about is called a line level convertor and personally ive never used or seen a pac brand LLC because there all pretty much the same. Other then the recommended wattage the only difference is the sticker on the outside and the price. Also batteries are not rated in farads just capacitors and the stock battery isnt that great but has way more power then a cap (especially a 1f cap). But tuning the amp right does make hella difference
Old 08-09-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
Either stay stock or go aftermarket mixing the two creates hella problems and is stupid.
Not true, I added a 10" to my stock system and everything is fine.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by cobi
Me to, I did the same and works fine
Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 AM

RCA converter & tap into rear speaker wiring and you're golden...

obviously you'll need to tap into the battery and use an in-line fuse on any +power line (that's easy) and then run some grounds (plenty of available spots in the trunk)

I've added two amps and an enclosed 15" sub and two enclosed 6x9s - with existing stock system... still have 10" stock sub as well

this thread should help you out - search and you will find!:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/electronics-audio-video-49/help-new-sub-29486/
Old 08-12-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by cobi
i never said it wouldnt work... but mixing subs and especially sub sizes isnt going to sound the best.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:40 PM

there is nothing wrong with putting an after market system in with the stock head unit. personally i like it better because it works with the car better and i am not buying a new head unit until i have the money for a touchscreen head unit that fits into the space that the stock head unit does now.

like everyone else said go to circuit city or wherever they sell audio stuff and tell them you want to hook subs up to a stock radio. they will say okay here. its like 20 some dollars.

connect the wires from that adapter to your rear speaker wires and then plug RCA's into the adapter and into the amp. yo have a sunroof so it would be best to plug your remote wire into that so your amp turns on when the car does or you can even run it to an on off swtich but thats too complicated. after that hook all your wires up from the subs to the amp to the battery to the ground. and there you go. you're bumpin.

oh and keeping your stock sub, your hearing won't be good enough to hear a difference on or off so thats up to you.