Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

How good are Hertz speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good are Hertz speakers?

I was about to plop down for my budget upgrade, but I was told to take a look at Hertz speakers. Particularly the DSK 165 or DCX165. Does anyone have any experience with these? They sounded pretty good on the wall, but I'd never heard of them before.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats the Dieci series
Hertz speakers are great IMO I'm running the ESK 130's and the ESK 165's (one model up from yours with the orange cone)
I have had a few different speakers in my car but the hertz sound the best by far
What are you going to have running them?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 PM

Hell yea do hertz. My friend has some 8" midbasses from them and they sound nice I think they are the HV 200
Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 PM

Wow, great to hear. I've been trying to figure out the most bang for my buck.

I already have an Alpine sub with an alpine mono amp, and I'll be using the stock HU because of budget.

The shop suggested I get an alpine mrp-f300 and bridge it to 2 channels. Dynamat the doors and run the Hertz speakers. Then they're going to do something with the amps and something to balance the subwoofer with the Hertz speakers. Then run the back speakers off the head unit.

He said in a car the size of mine, that I wouldn't notice a lot of difference between the coax and the component and I'd be better off spending extra money on dynamat and wiring. Any thoughts on that? They said they install the crossover behind the dash so it costs a little more.

I appreciate everyone's help- I really don't know much about car stereos. This guy was pretty convincing though and they were doing some really cool stuff in their shop.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
sounds good. for the most part we dont sell comp sets from hertz until the high energy line. reason being is the hi energy coax sounds better then the energy comp set. ive never herd a set of dieci components thou

i do agree dynamat helps out alot. you don't even really need much to notice a big difference. wiring is another story thou... obviously they are going to need to run wire to the alpine to power the door speakers but your not going to notice any difference upgrading to thicker speaker wire and you don't need any sort of extra crossover under the dash for the front speakers and while the rears probably should use a high pass if your not getting a deck i wouldn't worry about it (not sure what their plan was there)
Old 03-10-2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
sounds good. for the most part we dont sell comp sets from hertz until the high energy line. reason being is the hi energy coax sounds better then the energy comp set. ive never herd a set of dieci components thou

i do agree dynamat helps out alot. you don't even really need much to notice a big difference. wiring is another story thou... obviously they are going to need to run wire to the alpine to power the door speakers but your not going to notice any difference upgrading to thicker speaker wire and you don't need any sort of extra crossover under the dash for the front speakers and while the rears probably should use a high pass if your not getting a deck i wouldn't worry about it (not sure what their plan was there)

Basically, for the same price I have 2 options:

The components and the amp and a basic speaker install with remote mounted crossovers plus a 'speaker kit' of dynamat. It's not a separate crossover, it's the crossover that comes with the components. They were pretty adamant that they mount it behind the dash.

-or-

The coax and the amp and a 'door kit' of dynamat. Then I guess better wiring is the wrong word, they were going to rewire everything in a better way? They were going to run the speaker and sub amp from the front (right now the sub is on the rear speakers) and then spend time balancing them so that the headunits base/mid/treble controls were meaningful again.

So the net effect was that I'd get better overall performance from option b. Although I have heard 'you need components' all my life-they said for the money b would be stronger.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 PM

i would like to see them try to mount it under the dash... once they see the molex plug going into our doors they are going to rethink that position real quick. also if your doing an amp for the front speakers your going to have to run wire and all that jazz moving the loc to the front isnt that much more work when everything is apart anyway.

So while id go with option b looking at the whole picture its not much different from option a and should be cheaper depending on how crazy they go with the rcas/wire
Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 AM

i would like to see them try to mount it under the dash... once they see the molex plug going into our doors they are going to rethink that position real quick. also if your doing an amp for the front speakers your going to have to run wire and all that jazz moving the loc to the front isnt that much more work when everything is apart anyway.

So while id go with option b looking at the whole picture its not much different from option a and should be cheaper depending on how crazy they go with the rcas/wire
Thanks Emperor. I'll point that out to them. The shop's been around a while and they have a good reputation- but maybe that guy didn't understand some of the 'unique characteristics' of the cobalts stereo system.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM

lol ya it can be done **** i've done it. but your not going to notice a difference in the speaker wire. I would sign up for the good rcas thou they will greatly help reduce the chance of getting noise in the system

oh ya if your going to point it out to them don't sound like a douche. just simply ask them if they realize there is a molex plug for the front doors of the cobalt?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 PM

lol, ok, I just crossed 'be a douche' off my to do list .

I'm going at lunch today to buy the stuff. I actually just thought I'd take this thread with me, everyone was complimentary on the Hertz' equipment and it's e-peen free.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:49 PM

lol thats good. you may laugh but being nice will get you alot more then being a douche
Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM

lol thats good. you may laugh but being nice will get you alot more then being a douche
I'm with you on that . My job is basically to take abuse for a living so I'm pretty careful not to whip up on others.

And it's ordered, and my wife is mad because I went over my budget . I went up to the Hertz energy line but stayed with the coax. They are also wiring everything so that if I do get a new head unit, all the speaker wiring should just plug right up. He was selling me on the new Alpine DSP as an alternative to a head unit since I like the stealthy nature of stock HU... that's a conversation for another day though.

They were working on a similar project in another car and I listened for a while. It sounded great and I'm looking forward to getting this done.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:29 PM

sweet post up pics once you get it done. and believe me (i had the energy co-ax in my door for a while) you wont be disappointed. Just make sure they do the dynamat because those suckers can and will shake up your door
Old 03-25-2009, 03:32 PM

Well I started to take some picks of the speakers and such, but realized you couldn't really see them. Thanks for the advice everyone, the Hertz ecx's + an amp really filled that front end in. I was worried that the front wouldn't be very clean with the LOC, but it worked out great and I'm glad I was able to keep it all stealthy.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 PM

glad ur happy... did they go ahead and do the dynamat too? and what amp did you go with?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 AM

Yes on the dynamat. I got the speaker kit plus they put a few scraps on the plastic interior panel.

So the whole system now is:
MRP 300 4 channel amp bridged to 2 channels running the front ecx165s.
Then the alpine mono amp (mrp500?) running a 10inch type r.
Then some pioneer 6x9s running off the head unit for the rear.

Certainly not some major build like some of you have, but it makes my ~1hour total daily commute alot more fun.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 PM

lol its all good that sounds like a pretty awesome setup -the pioneer 6X9s (hopefully they arent the entry level ones)