Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

HU installation problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HU installation problem

Ok I'm guessing this is an installation problem. This was my first time installing a HU. I have a 2006 cobalt lt 2dr. I installed my cda-9885 yesterday following the guide that came with my wiring harness from crutchfield.

Now everything on it works except for I have to completely start the car for the radio to turn on. I can't just turn the key a little bit for the power and then start the car. Not really a big problem but it is annoying that I can't listen to the radio without fully starting the car.

I ran the one start wire(forget the name) to the fuse panel to the 10 amp wiper fuse. Now my wipers work without having to fully start the car but the radio won't. Is there any way to fix this?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wire you forgot the name of, is it coming from the radio or did you jumper your ign 1 wire to the wiper fuse.
When you are hooking this stuff up a cheap meter is your friend for getting connected to the corrrect wires .

Some how you are feeding the wiper circut with the wire that should be feeding power to the radio .
I think maybe your instructions are not right with the wire colors for this car and you have 2 wires mixed up
.Someone on here posted them before.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 AM

What harness are you using?

You need to make sure your ACC/remote turn on wire(usually a long red wire) from your harness is spliced into a 12v fuse in your fuse panel. That is most likely your problem.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Robbob
Ok I'm guessing this is an installation problem. This was my first time installing a HU. I have a 2006 cobalt lt 2dr. I installed my cda-9885 yesterday following the guide that came with my wiring harness from crutchfield.

Now everything on it works except for I have to completely start the car for the radio to turn on. I can't just turn the key a little bit for the power and then start the car. Not really a big problem but it is annoying that I can't listen to the radio without fully starting the car.

I ran the one start wire(forget the name) to the fuse panel to the 10 amp wiper fuse. Now my wipers work without having to fully start the car but the radio won't. Is there any way to fix this?
You should have a red wire tapped into a fuse (preferably the sunroof fuse, most cars that don't have roofs still have a sunroof fuse) for the turn on signal, and a yellow wire connected to constant power behind the head unit. It sounds like you ran constant power into the windshield wiper circuit and have the switched power wire ran someplace else......
Old 08-12-2007, 04:14 PM

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AzEhH86...00&I=120702103

That is the wiring harness that I got for my car.
The red wire is the one that I have run to the fuse panel and the yellow wire which should be the constant power is connected to the wiring harness. Like I said I have power to the radio when the car is turned on but not when I turn the key like halfway for the auxiliary/just the power.

Never mind I got it working, just ran the red wire to the sun roof fuse instead of the wiper fuse. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Robbob; 08-12-2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-12-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Robbob
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AzEhH86...00&I=120702103

Like I said I have power to the radio when the car is turned on but not when I turn the key like halfway for the auxiliary/just the power.

Never mind I got it working, just ran the red wire to the sun roof fuse instead of the wiper fuse. Thanks for the help.
That's the advantage to using the sunroof fuse. The radio works when the key is on accessory, and you still have RAP (retained accessory power - when the radio stays on for 10min after you shut the car off).