Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

I need help from a GM tech or someone VERY knowlegeable of the factory audio systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help from a GM tech or someone VERY knowlegeable of the factory audio systems

It has to do with the radio . Short summary . Im swapping in 2007 UQ3 head unit into my 2005 that also had a UQ3 . Its wired up correctly , and GMTech 2 is communicating . But I when I try to conect to the radio to the vin relearn to unlock the radio , Tech2 says loss of communications immediately after attempting to connect . I DO have the d-green LAN wire spliced into the new wire lead from the 2007 radio connector . I spliced the new wire lead on the existing wire with a qwik spice , the kind where you lay the wires in the slots and a small blade is pushed down to break the insulation without severing the wire . I thought this may be why it cannot connect ? ...GM's procedure for splicing a LAN wire is really specific . Is not using that special splice connector for the lan wire repairs gonna screw me ? But , since tech 2 can read other info off the new 07 radio , I would like to think the connection on the LAN wire is sound .

Things that do work :
Onstar does work properly
When onstar message was playing all speakers were working
Tech 2 can identify the 2007 HU is there . It displays the radio part # , ID , ect ect .
2007 style chimes thru the audio system work
Lighting works as well a dimming
Display reads ....Locked

After further diagnosis , Tech2 is showing the Audio antenna module as being disabled . Also on the diagnosis screen for the antenna module... voltage reads 0 . I did some research in the 2005 manual for the audio antenna module ( could not find any info on this when trying to search this topic for a 2007 on dealer world ) and its stating if the antenna module is disabled , voltage to the radio would be cut . I think thats my whole problem trying to get tech2 to connect to the new radio to do the vin relearn .

-How do I got about diagnosising the antenna module ?
-Where is the Antenna module located ? I looked at all the component views for the entire car and cannot locate a audio antenna module anywhere . Is it possibly located inside the radio itself ?

I know this is some pretty off the wall questions , but figured Id ask . The guy thats really good with this kinda stuff at the dealer my friend is at was to busy to help out today , and will be off till middle of next week . Hopefully someone on here can help . I will have the tech2 all weekend , if need any specific info .