Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

I'm not the re-post king for nothing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not the re-post king for nothing.

Hey guys.

I've decided. I'm finally buying my headunit. I've decided that I'm buying a left over 06 Alpine from Crutchfield because the 06's had a white/green design similar to the Cobalt, and because Crutchfield gives you the install **** for free. Otherwise I'd go buy it at the store 5 minutes away. lol. Having said that, I have performed a search before. I just want the questions answered directly because there's so many questions and answers floating around in the same post.

1. For those of you who have ordered from Crutchfield. How is the sheet they give you telling you how to install the radio? I had something like that I printed out for my Cadillac before. Worked well. But how's theirs?

2. Also from the Crutchfield guys. When I go to order my radio, just select the free install kit. That's it. Correct?

3. Will I need absolutely anything else on top of the supplied install kit? I already have the cable needed to hook up my Zune, and I may add the steering wheel control adaptor later on.

4. Speaking of steering wheel control adaptor. Without using it, the cruise button will still work, correct? And how do you go about doing this mod? Easy? Or could I have a guy at a shop add this on later and charge me like 20 bucks to do it easily?

5. It sounds like the stock DIC works perfectly, just like stock. Correct? Because I always use my MPG monitors and stuff.

6. I've only ever installed 1 radio before. The wiring and stuff is no problem. How's the fitment using the Crutchfield dash kit? I hate **** that flops around.

7. Also, for the dash kit. Anyone find a paint that matches the factory silver of the SS dash? I'm gonna color match the dash kit so it's not goofy looking.

8. I heard that you can't wire the aftermarket radio into the stock radio fuse. It won't shut off or something. So you have to use the sunroof, correct? How do you go about doing this? Just take the qire, run in to the fusebox, remove the sunroof fuse, slide the wire in and put the fuse back overtop of the exposed cord? I've never had to do some **** like that before...

9. Will I honestly notice a whole lot of sound clarity over the stock unit? I know that in old cars you do, but new cars sound pretty good already.

10. I have my stock bass set up to the max. Treble too. Will the alpine keep that stuff set like that by default, or will that be worked in through the treble/bass on the Alpine? I don't want to lose my bass.

11. Will the radio come through any more clear? My stock reception kinda blows.

12. Everytime I go to a shop and ask them about installing a radio, they insist on the expensive kit. If I really don't feel like installing it and risking breaking ****, if I go to the shop and demand they put it in using the Crutchfield kit, will they do it? lol. I'd just have to give them the specific instructions about the sunroof and stuff...

That's all for now. I'd like to buy this tomorrow hopefully. So please post up some answers! And don't throw stones please!

Old 02-23-2007, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
Hey guys.

I've decided. I'm finally buying my headunit. I've decided that I'm buying a left over 06 Alpine from Crutchfield because the 06's had a white/green design similar to the Cobalt, and because Crutchfield gives you the install **** for free. Otherwise I'd go buy it at the store 5 minutes away. lol. Having said that, I have performed a search before. I just want the questions answered directly because there's so many questions and answers floating around in the same post.

1. For those of you who have ordered from Crutchfield. How is the sheet they give you telling you how to install the radio? I had something like that I printed out for my Cadillac before. Worked well. But how's theirs?

2. Also from the Crutchfield guys. When I go to order my radio, just select the free install kit. That's it. Correct?

3. Will I need absolutely anything else on top of the supplied install kit? I already have the cable needed to hook up my Zune, and I may add the steering wheel control adaptor later on.

4. Speaking of steering wheel control adaptor. Without using it, the cruise button will still work, correct? And how do you go about doing this mod? Easy? Or could I have a guy at a shop add this on later and charge me like 20 bucks to do it easily?

5. It sounds like the stock DIC works perfectly, just like stock. Correct? Because I always use my MPG monitors and stuff.

6. I've only ever installed 1 radio before. The wiring and stuff is no problem. How's the fitment using the Crutchfield dash kit? I hate **** that flops around.

7. Also, for the dash kit. Anyone find a paint that matches the factory silver of the SS dash? I'm gonna color match the dash kit so it's not goofy looking.

8. I heard that you can't wire the aftermarket radio into the stock radio fuse. It won't shut off or something. So you have to use the sunroof, correct? How do you go about doing this? Just take the qire, run in to the fusebox, remove the sunroof fuse, slide the wire in and put the fuse back overtop of the exposed cord? I've never had to do some **** like that before...

9. Will I honestly notice a whole lot of sound clarity over the stock unit? I know that in old cars you do, but new cars sound pretty good already.

10. I have my stock bass set up to the max. Treble too. Will the alpine keep that stuff set like that by default, or will that be worked in through the treble/bass on the Alpine? I don't want to lose my bass.

11. Will the radio come through any more clear? My stock reception kinda blows.

12. Everytime I go to a shop and ask them about installing a radio, they insist on the expensive kit. If I really don't feel like installing it and risking breaking ****, if I go to the shop and demand they put it in using the Crutchfield kit, will they do it? lol. I'd just have to give them the specific instructions about the sunroof and stuff...

That's all for now. I'd like to buy this tomorrow hopefully. So please post up some answers! And don't throw stones please!

1.) gives you a pretty good idea. Its generalized for all headunits thought, so wont be headunit specific.

2.)sounds right.

3.)I needed a stock gm wiring harness adapter (05-06) (can get at any local bestbuy or audio shop for like 10 bucks) 'add-a-circuit' to power the head unit itself (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/add-circuit-45184/)

4.)cruise control still works.

5.)yes, only the steering wheel controls do not work

6.)mine is nice and snug.

7.) i took advantage of having the trim off and painted it victory red, i then bought black climate controls to match the housing... looks great and was easier than painting it silver.. (silver spray paint tends to look like ****)

8.)no idea what you're talking about. I wiring mine into the fuse panel using the add-a-circuit

9.) Big improvement over stock Headunit as far as sound quality. i went with a sony headunit that was like 130 and it sounds great. also allows me to use my ipod.

10.) you'll have to set the new headunit how you please.

11.) perhaps

12.) probably, but you'd be wasting your money... literally takes 10 minutes to install.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:59 AM

Thanks man! But what's that Add-A-Fuse thing? I'm not understanding how it's used or anything. Could you run through where that goes and how you go about using it? Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2007, 01:08 AM

The main power wire for the headunit needs a 12volt source to run on and i believe the factory headunit runs on like 9v or something retarded. so what you do is you attach the aftermarket main power wire to the add a circuit and you plug it into the fuse board located behind the center consol pannel under the glovebox. and thats pretty much it.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:11 AM

Here's the one I'm ordering. That radio, the free dash and install kit, plus a few random tools to help the job go easier.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EPcw9Xt...0&I=500CDE9852

Is there any instrusctions on the package or anything like that? I know that after I do it it'll be so easy, but I catch onto eletronic wiring awfully slow. lol. Plus, I'm a bit more concerned about the radio in my cobalt than my old GP... no cutting or anything for that Add-A-Fuse, just plug and play? You just plug the one end of the cable into that open end thing, then plug that double fuse into where? The radio fuse, or the sunroof fuse? I thought someone said if you use the radio fuse the radio won't shut off?

Last edited by averagewhiteboy; 02-23-2007 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-23-2007, 01:14 AM

radio fuse... not sure what they were talking about it not shutting off.... sec let me go get a pic for you...

you need a GM 05-06 wiring harness too..
Old 02-23-2007, 01:24 AM

I believe they give you that with the free install package..

Also, one more rediculous question... where's the fuse panel on the Cobalt? lol. Never looked before...

Last edited by averagewhiteboy; 02-23-2007 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-23-2007, 01:26 AM

uploading pics as we speak.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:27 AM

Awesome! Thanks alot man! Rep the black n/a's.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:37 AM

And this is what i did as far as the headunit....

just changed out the AC controls with a base model (black controls)

Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 AM

Awesome! Thanks alot man! That helped alot! Do I just pull out that panel to reveal the fuse box? Any special way to do it without breaking anything?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 AM

just pull really hard. ITs might seem like your going to break it but it shouldnt. Just give it one good tug and it will pop right off.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:30 AM

Nice. **** like that is always real hard the first time, then after you do it once, it seems like it's so easy after that. lol. I had a problem on my old GP where to access the radio, you had to remove most of the dash face. And on those old cars, the dash face spanned most of the car. Plus, old plastic pieces. Breakage for sure. The cobalt ones kinda look metal??
Old 02-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
Nice. **** like that is always real hard the first time, then after you do it once, it seems like it's so easy after that. lol. I had a problem on my old GP where to access the radio, you had to remove most of the dash face. And on those old cars, the dash face spanned most of the car. Plus, old plastic pieces. Breakage for sure. The cobalt ones kinda look metal??
they're plastic lol
Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 AM

Well, I'm gonna order my radio tomorrow I think. I went over to Best Buy today to check out the radio in person again. I'm liking it alot. I just get nervous about **** like this. I don't want to break anything too badly. haha. It'd be much easier if I still had my IPod, but the Zune will still be alright too. Just need an extra adaptor. No biggie.