Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

IMPORTANT: All wires must be fused

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMPORTANT: All wires must be fused

I was having a discussion with someone who didn't seem to think it was important to properly fuse all aftermarket electrical components. I'm no automotive expert but I can surely speak on behalf of those who are and maybe they'll back me up on this - it is ridiculously important to properly fuse anything you add to your car, no matter how little power you think it draws. Once that hot wire finds a path to the ground because there is a nick in it or whatever, and there is no fuse, you are now in big trouble. If you are running a line directly to the battery (how it should be done) there should be a fuse about six inches away.

Read:

lights are wired up, lol broke one of the original tubes too, it was too long and i tried to force it under the drivers dash lol snap. But ya it's finished, pics to come tonite, and no fuse on it, just the switch, ran it to the battery for direct power and ground without having to *** around with too much. Next up will be trunk and back seat lighting.......i'm debating investing in about 20-50 blue/white LED's and wiring the entire car with it.........we'll see.

Fuses protect the wiring, not the tubes. That wire that you ran the length of the car? Yeah if that shorts and gets a path to the ground... goodbye car cause you have no fuse.

"Failure to properly fuse your wiring and components could be devastating. A wire could short somewhere in the car, and start a fire."

gotta do something pretty funky to melt the wires tho, something that funky would fry all of the fuses in my car probably.......that's pretty unlikely.....

You can also say goodbye to your beloved warranty when they find you've ran electrical components without a fuse. It's your car not mine, man. You can do a two second google search and read about all the cars that have caught fire cause people ran lights without fuses.

if anything happens they'll never know the lights were in there when it's taken to them for warrenty

/rant
Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 PM

yes its important

BUT!!!!

fuses are made to protect the item AFTER the fuse.... meaning ur aftermarket equip... not the car.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:03 PM

:facepalm: fry ALL the fuses in the car at once?

im assuming this was a real conversation?
Old 12-23-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by originaladrian
yes its important

BUT!!!!

fuses are made to protect the item AFTER the fuse.... meaning ur aftermarket equip... not the car.
Sure, if you care more about your amp than your car burning down. Fuses are to protect the wires and electrical equipment... I'd like to think the former is more important in the grand scheme of things.

Originally Posted by DebadgedBALT77
:facepalm: fry ALL the fuses in the car at once?

im assuming this was a real conversation?
Yup.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:29 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by originaladrian
yes its important

BUT!!!!

fuses mainly protect the wiring

oh good example for all you guys. i bet few know this on css but most car audio competitors dont use fuses. strictly due to the fact that it is proven that using a fuse gives your amp slightly less current to work with. normal peeps like you and me it doesn't matter but for them that tiny .1db could mean the difference from a trophy and 2nd place

heres a pic of the pioneer truck after it burned in 06

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 12-24-2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-24-2008, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
fuses mainly protect the wiring
Thank you! Maybe if you say it people will listen. I just do not understand why people would mess around and not fuse their ****. Whatever.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And thats another reason not to buy Pioneer.
I know its not really on topic but I saw the chance to hate on them and took it.
I really dislike Pioneer, can you tell
Old 12-24-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Spun
And thats another reason not to buy Pioneer.
I know its not really on topic but I saw the chance to hate on them and took it.
I really dislike Pioneer, can you tell
why? just because?