Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Install Stock XM Receiver in Stock Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install Stock XM Receiver in Stock Radio

All,

I have read the FAQ and searched the forum and haven't quite found the same question asked in the past.

Is it possible to install a stock XM receiver (pulled from a 2006 SS) into the stock, non-Pioneer, non-MP3, no frills head unit of a 2006 LS? No ECU upgrade or anything special required?

The part number is 10365661:

I don't care about anything related to the antenna -- the ultimate goal is to use it for an AUX input only -- most likely using this method.

Specifically I am wondering:
1) if the jack shown in the first picture on the above linked thread exists on my radio (I was curious if someone could let me know w/o pulling the radio out)
2) If the wiring harness in the same picture is even present in my car, even on stock radios that do not use it like mine
3) if the wire is not run, if there's enough room inside the dashboard for me to stash the XM receiver. I realize on the SS's it is normally in the back under the rear deck.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:19 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
the jack will be on all radios. harness not so much. maybe but prob not theres is enough room to fit that behidn the dash... idk about stock thou u may have to cut some plastic or get creative if u dont want to cut anything but in gen theres alot of room
Old 04-07-2012, 09:40 AM

Cool thanks for the info. Aside from physical connections, will this work? The SS part with the base model head unit?
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 PM

ss vs base makes no diff. will it work i have no idea. ur going to need to find that connector and good luck with that otherwise i dont see why not but who knows really
Old 04-07-2012, 02:00 PM

More background info.

Do I need a US8 or US9 radio for this to work?
Code:
US8: Radio-AM/FM Stereo, SEEK/SCAN, CD, AUTO TONE, CLOCK, ETR, MP3, RDS
US9: Radio-AM/FM Stereo, SEEK/SCAN, RDS, Multiple Compact DISC, CD, AUTO TONE Control, CLOCK, ETR, MP3
Do they just indicate that I don't have MP3/XM from the factory? Or that the radio will/won't support an XM receiver?

P.S. I am assuming I need an XM receiver because the method described in this post notes that you have to tune to XM channel 0.

Do I only need the harness present for XM to appear? Did I incorrectly assume that XM would not appear without the XM receiver? Currently cycling through the inputs I have AM/FM/CD.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:11 PM

thats a good question. i would try getting a hold of the harness first doing that mod without a XM receiver and see if it works. ur probably going to need to hook up whatever power and ground is supposed to be there too.

not sure really if anyone could tell you if that works unless theyve done it before. the radios and connections are interchangeable from xm to non xm. u can get it on base and pioneer packages so. my car had all the wiring without having the XM so urs might but who knows. Why dont u go aftermarket?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:20 PM

This is sort of time sensitive and I have access to the aforementioned XM receiver. I want the look to remain stock as well.

I don't have tons of time at the moment to go tinkering in the dash myself (and it's supposed to be a surprise), so I wanted to get all my facts straight first.

Also, the harness looks surprisingly widely available for <$30: click here
Old 04-07-2012, 02:35 PM

mmm idk if id trust the aftermarket connection thou. i mean ya that will work assuming it has all the wires that you need for this to work assuming it even would

sorry man but what your trying to do in theory could work but you have to remember the whole aux via XM splicing wires deal is ghetto in itself and isn't something that really "should" work. ur taking it a step further since no xm stock. Since the radios are interchangeable and i know that from a personal experience theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to add the tuner box with the correct wiring and from there do the aux mod but that doesnt mean it would work
Old 04-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to add the tuner box with the correct wiring and from there do the aux mod but that doesnt mean it would work
I'm confused -- do you mean that you can confirm that the physical connections are there, but you don't know if it will work?

I don't think it's "ghetto" -- those pins are for Left audio, Right audio and ground and that's what I'd be using them for. The only thing that the XM box does will be to enable the input.

There's probably some serial data connection on one of those other pins in the harness or something that shorts to ground or +12V to tell the head unit that it should allow for this. I wonder if anyone has the pinout for the whole connector...? It's not like I'm cracking the thing open, cutting traces on the board and soldering in these wires.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:13 PM

right. they were there in my car but idk if thats normal or not. (i have an ss/sc btw) if you have those wires then ur good plug it in splice the wires and if it doesnt work pop the rear deck plug in the xm receiver and your done. but if those wires arent there then who know what will or wont happen. like ur saying its probably not a simple deal with just power ground and audio. so if the wiring isnt there thats when you just gotta do it or not and see what happens.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 PM

pretty sure it wont work. on the radio you will have to have some way to switch to am/fm XM. for example my radio has band and then a sat/Xm button. i think your out of luck man