Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Installation help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installation help

Hey guys, I've been reading for quite some time on here about installing a system with the stock HU. I know that I will need a line output converter or an amp with some kind of input (no idea about this).

How exactly do I install a lineoutput converter for an amp? I'm looking at an amp like this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118843709770

or even a Sony 250W amp I saw at walmart, yes walmart for like 50-60 bucks or something really cheap. Opinions on both amps PLEASE

Also, I've read something about installing this way can be dangerous and that a radio has been fried using this? Any dangers at all doing it this way? Please help me out

I'm just looking to install a small system with one sub (10 or 12 not sure) with a possibility of adding a second sub later on.

Thanks a ton guys
Old 07-16-2006, 03:06 AM

no help?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:08 AM

Sorry, all the audio guys go to bed early. Now if you are interested in putting a BOV on your supercharger...I'm the guy to tell you don't do it.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:15 AM

STG 3 comes with an audio upgrade just wait for that
Old 07-16-2006, 12:17 PM

Forget all those cheap flea market amp(Legacy, Pyramid, Legacy, Rockwood, Xplore, Dual, BOSS, DHD, Pyle, Jensen, Soundstorm, Legacy, Volfenhag, Blitz) if you have a low budget buy used stuff if you can or buy something else like Power Acoustik, Xplod, Kenwood.... . For the line output converter many low budget amp have high level input or speaker level input, you just have to plug them to the speaker output of your HU, behind the hu or at the speaker, if install properly they are safe for your HU, for the LOC you plug the output with RCA cable to the input of your amp.
Check this amp Sound Stream EGA2220 $75.95
And for the sub, 1 good sub is better then 2 cheaper one.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:08 PM

installing a hi lo converter...hmmm. well u will have about 2 speakers lines for +/- on it. they will hook onto yur stock speaker lines..i wud hook them onto your back speakers. i would do both , for the best sound..then ur RCA's run from that to your amp. our car is easy to do subs...all u wil lhave to do is run a remote line to a fuse like a sunroof fuse that will turn on and off with that car, so the amp turns off with it. power wire from battery to battery thing on the amp. ground...u can cround it to the chasis to the amp...speaker wires from subs to the amp by the terminals. Cake Job. enjoy
Old 07-16-2006, 08:12 PM

just splice the line output converter to your left and right rear speakers and there you go. the bad thing about it is that you dont have separate bass controls without that aftermarket headunit. but your amp should have the crossovers built in to help a little
Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 PM

Thumbs up my opinion

i would like to say that you should maybe pay a little extra money and get a better brand amp. if you pay for a cheap amp, you will probably get a cheap product. i had Power Acoustic in my previous car and loved it, but you could also check out Alpine, Rockford, Kenwood, or another better name amp, and actually, if you look around online you can find some pretty good amps for a good price. and if you were thinking about adding a second sub, make sure your amp will handle it. a single 300W amp is probably not going to power two subs, unless they are pretty weak subs. You will have to compare both the Max and RMS wattage on the amps and subs. i would suggest going to shopzilla.com where you can compare prices from a bunch of sites on a certian amp. I havn't heard anything about frying your HU using a converter, but dont take my word on that. Also i would say the same thing about your subs, spend a little more and get a better sub, and one good sub is better than a few cheap ones.

a bit lengthy, but hopefully helpful
Old 07-25-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jypy
Forget all those cheap flea market amp(Legacy, Pyramid, Legacy, Rockwood, Xplore, Dual, BOSS, DHD, Pyle, Jensen, Soundstorm, Legacy, Volfenhag, Blitz) if you have a low budget buy used stuff if you can or buy something else like Power Acoustik, Xplod, Kenwood.... . For the line output converter many low budget amp have high level input or speaker level input, you just have to plug them to the speaker output of your HU, behind the hu or at the speaker, if install properly they are safe for your HU, for the LOC you plug the output with RCA cable to the input of your amp.
Check this amp Sound Stream EGA2220 $75.95
And for the sub, 1 good sub is better then 2 cheaper one.

Im all with this and seriously 75$ for a soundstream amp is really a good deal
Old 07-25-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by garyes19
Hey guys, I've been reading for quite some time on here about installing a system with the stock HU. I know that I will need a line output converter or an amp with some kind of input (no idea about this).

How exactly do I install a lineoutput converter for an amp? I'm looking at an amp like this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118843709770

or even a Sony 250W amp I saw at walmart, yes walmart for like 50-60 bucks or something really cheap. Opinions on both amps PLEASE

Also, I've read something about installing this way can be dangerous and that a radio has been fried using this? Any dangers at all doing it this way? Please help me out

I'm just looking to install a small system with one sub (10 or 12 not sure) with a possibility of adding a second sub later on.

Thanks a ton guys
do you have the pioneer system? if so you don't need a line-out converter because the HU is already low-level, you can just splice RCA cables into the rear speaker out puts behind the HU and tap into the pink wire in the factory harness for your amp turn on

if you don't have the pioneer system (your HU is hight level) then hook the line-out converter behind the HU (not at the rear speakers, because you will still need to go behind the dash for a switched 12v for the amp turn on, so why not put it all there)