Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Installing a PS3 in my Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing a PS3 in my Cobalt

Ok, so I would like to install a PS3 into my cobalt. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that has any idea on how to do this. What exactly I'm going to need to have it done. Any help would be great. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where do you plan on putting the actual system? PS3 is quite large, for ***** and giggles you'd be better off putting a slimline PS2 in your car just to have something to do.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM

Yea I haven't really thought about all that. I am a PS3 fan but if that was too big I was thinkin maybe a 360. Over here in Korea they got a Resident Evil 5 edition 360 for real cheep. Its red and **** and I am goin with a red and black theme with my car. and if that was still too big, I'd prolly go with that red PS2 slim.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:10 PM

You’re gonna need a DC/AC power converter and then the normal wires that come with the ps3. Make sure you get a converter that can handle a ps3 they can pull some amps. Have you tried fitting it in the glove box? If not there under the glove box or seat could work. You might need to fabricate something if its going under the glove box.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 PM

No I haven't tried to fit it in the glove box yet. I stationed in Seoul, South Korea until June. But ima go on leave for about 30 days, so I plan to doin some work then. So all I'd need is a power inverter? Thats it? Any ideas on where I can get a good power inverter to handle this job? Then I just have to run the AV cables to the back of the monitor?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:13 PM

You know what would be cool in a car??

A Wii.

Hear me out.

You could fit it in more places (smaller size) it would be easier to power.
It has a built in setup to add new wireless networks and send free email through them (though the addresses are a bit wonky)

The controllers are wireless (bluetooth), they can run homebrew stuff (like emulators), can view pictures and stuff off SD card.

Paint it to match your interior (and change a few led's to red if you are so inclined/able), and you could have a pretty nice gaming rig.

I don't know if there are any truly serviceable Linux distros for the Wii, but let's be honest, Linux on the PS3 is always a balancing act.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:59 PM

^^^ good idea Maetrix.

Originally Posted by Chinelli3589
So all I'd need is a power inverter? Thats it? Any ideas on where I can get a good power inverter to handle this job? Then I just have to run the AV cables to the back of the monitor?
Yea that’s it. Radio Shack, Best Buy really any electronics store. I'd get one that you have to wire strait to the battery b/c the sig sock ones might not have enough juice to do the job. The AV cables just go the back of the monitor, yes. They will be your standard av (yellow, red, white) cuz I don’t think screens in cars have the hd option.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Haha, a Wii in my ride. That does sound pretty cool. I'll definatly scope it out. Man, I can't wait to be home again. Its gunna be almost 6 months since I've driven my car. June 17th isn't coming fast enough. I'm really gunna look into that Wii idea though. Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-08-2009, 02:20 AM

Ay time. If you do the wii you can crack jokes too... "Wanna play with my wii while I drive"
Old 04-08-2009, 02:26 AM

dont put a 360 it will overheat way too fast and you'll get the red ring of death
Old 04-08-2009, 04:27 AM

id suggest putting the ps3 somewhere well ventillated or maybe if u wanted to take the ps3 apart and put the bluray drive in the glove compartment and put the rest of the system somwhere like in the trunk where its well ventillated and then just hook up the system to a power converter and run the audio and video cables to the h/u
Old 04-08-2009, 09:13 AM

Taking apart the PS3 to make it more easily installable is a good idea.

I worry about finding the proper cable to extend the BlueRay drive that far without
it causing problems with the drive not being recognized, read errors, etc.

I'm obviously biased, but I think the best idea is to install a PC, and get an external BlueRay drive if you have alot of flicks in that format. Then you can add parts or remove them and upgrade as needed, and play games on it as well.

check out www.mp3car.com

There are alot of places that sell machines preconfigured. They aren't as cheap as a Wii, but the parts are cheaper, and the possibilities are alot greater.

But, a PS3, Wii, or well ventilated XB360 would be cool as well.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 AM

I have a ps2 in my car, the slim one. This was super easy to do and took about 15 mins to do. I hav a 7inch indash which i an the 3 audio and video cables to. The indash has empty spots to plugs these right in, and then as for the power, yes you need a power inverter. You can pick one up at best by, their not to expensive, 50$ for decent one. I got one that was 500 watts i think. You dont wanna get one too small or else it will have a hrdtime running the ps2.

Now the power inverter comes with a wire that you just plug into your cigarette lighter to power it, DONT DO THAT. Read th warning it says anything over 90 watts you need to us the thicker cable and connect it dircetly to your car battery. They give you the ticket cable with alligator clips on the end. Which suck, i put my own terminals on the end, i put the little circles on it that fit right onto the outlets on the battery so that they can fall off like the alligator clips do.

Then thats pretty much it, only thing else is figureing out where to put your ps2. What i did was put a whole bunch of velco on the back sde of the ps2, then the opposite velcro under the passenger seat. I stuck the ps2 so it stuck to the bottom of the passenger seat, Its clean and out of the way so no one can see it. Then the wires just run from the setup te center console, then behind the dash to where your indash is, and the other you can run along the side of your car, behind the plastic pieces, and into your trnk where the power inverter is. And now your done!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I can't wait to try this

xyankees214x - you got any pics?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Maetrix
You know what would be cool in a car??

A Wii.

Hear me out.

You could fit it in more places (smaller size) it would be easier to power.
It has a built in setup to add new wireless networks and send free email through them (though the addresses are a bit wonky)

The controllers are wireless (bluetooth), they can run homebrew stuff (like emulators), can view pictures and stuff off SD card.

Paint it to match your interior (and change a few led's to red if you are so inclined/able), and you could have a pretty nice gaming rig.

I don't know if there are any truly serviceable Linux distros for the Wii, but let's be honest, Linux on the PS3 is always a balancing act.
There is someone at a local car meet that I go to that has a Wii in his car with a 32 inch LCD attached to the trunk lid. Its a pretty sweet setup if you have the money.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM

I really like these types of crazy installs, but, I don't understand one thing:

Why the heck to I have to get a power inverter, to convert from DC to AC, just to plug in the PS2's power supply, that converts from AC to DC!?!

WTH is that all about?

Shouldn't there be a way to connect a DC to DC UPS/Power Supply so that you're not wasting undue electricity/causing unnecessary heat?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Idk I have a power converter in my car for my gamecube. Now that I think about it if you were to tap directly into the battery you'd blow up you PS2 cause the AC to DC converter also steps the voltage and current down to whatever it operates at (usually 5Vdc). Without the converter you'd be applying 12 volts and X amount of current to the PS2 and it wasn't designed to handle that so you would fry it (maybe even catch on fire).