Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Installing Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Rear Speakers

Since nobody has a good how to on this, I decided to take my car apart and take pictures along the way, enjoy.

Step 1: Pull the release tabs for the rear seats

Step 2: Pull out the 2 pop in plastic tabs

Step 3: Remove each side’s individual C-Panel (By simply slipping your fingers in on the top and pull straight out, they are secured on by a plastic wire that is just there to hold them there in place, you can move the panel of your way and tuck it under the seat belt if you want.

FYI: Watch out for the rear defroster units, make sure not to hit those off when taking the panel off.

Step 4: Remove the plastic cover behind each headrest and unbolt the two bolts securing them

Step 5: You should now be able to lift the rear deck enough to work underneath and access the rear speakers (don’t worry if you bend it, when you put it back down and put everything back together it will return to its original form.

Here are the speaker wire colors for the base cobalt system:
LF Speaker +tan / -gray
RF Speaker +lt. green / - dk. green
LR Speaker +brown / - yellow
RR Speaker +dk. blue / - lt. blue

TIP: When putting the C-Panels back on, make sure you align it up with all the indents along the side (see picture above) do this before you pop the panel back in place!

Okay So now replace your speakers and put everything back in reverse order and enjoy.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:26 PM

Nice how to. Keep up the good work. I'll be using this setup when I install my new speakers.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the rear speakers are 2 Ohm.

I have a set of boston Rallies I would like to use. they are 4 ohm. is this a problem?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:04 PM

Uhh only the Pioneers are 2Ohms, which i dont have, so I dont know, but I know putting 2ohm speakers in a 4ohm setup is bad, but Im not sure about the other way around, it might damage the speaker, but your gonna have to ask someone who knows more about audio
Old 01-21-2007, 09:26 PM

Putting rear speakers that have an impedance of 4 ohms in the rear, but leaving the fronts stock will cause the fronts to be noticeably louder. ~3dB louder if you must know.

That's not necessarily bad though. Good audio systems have good front stage sound anyway.

The problem is you'll have better sound quality in the rear of the car.

But, as Xavipheus said, it won't cause any damage at all. It will just sound weird. That's if you're not planning on changing the fronts. If you are planning on changing the fronts (if you haven't already) what speakers do you plan to use?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:06 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by aj_92rs
Putting rear speakers that have an impedance of 4 ohms in the rear, but leaving the fronts stock will cause the fronts to be noticeably louder. ~3dB louder if you must know.

That's not necessarily bad though. Good audio systems have good front stage sound anyway.

But, as Xavipheus said, it won't cause any damage at all. It will just sound weird. That's if you're not planning on changing the fronts. If you are planning on changing the fronts (if you haven't already) what speakers do you plan to use?

^yessss an answer i've been waiting for haha!

3db louder oh man, but i've got time delay and all the goodies on my headunit to maybe help curve that sound to be even. do you think my sound will be enhanced, or will me putting in my alpine type-s 6x9s just mess it all up? oh forgot to mention the 6x9s are 4ohm as well

i also just thought of something in addition to my previous statement. i just put in my alpine cda-9811, which is 50wx4 at 4ohms, so maybe this will somehow affect the sound output?

Last edited by streetracinazian; 01-22-2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 AM

where are the pics?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aj_92rs

Well I knew 2ohm is more efficient than 4 ohm and the power needed to drive the Bostons maybe a factor as well. I wanted to try it with the front speakers because believe it or not the sound actually very good. The other option would be to buy another set of bostons for the front, four channel amp and a one mono amp but I will wait then to have the cash to do all at once.

But I threw this out there incase it would be a good thing to do. honestly i took my car to a car audio place and they said yeah we could improve it. but really it sounds very good stock, doesnt cost you a dime and you have full warranty. I would be over selling you. enjoy it.

I will revamp it soon any way. just pound the crap of it for now and the do everything top to bottom. I love car audio so it is hard to wait do that for now.