Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Installing Second Pioneer Sub

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Second Pioneer Sub

ok so i don't wanna go too crazy with a system but i do want a little bit more bass. i like the sound of the pioneer sub so i want to add another one in on the other side. i am going to try to find a stock subwoofer from another cobalt . But i need to know if i can wire it by tapping into the plug that goes into the subwoofer. I will make another box custom to fit into the other side and then carpet everything to match or possibly make a fibreglass enclosure that looks the same as the stock one but reversed. So if you could give me some suggestions that would be great. and btw where is the amp for our stock system?

Thanks
Chris
Old 10-09-2006, 11:43 AM

You should be able to tap in without a problem.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:45 AM

good luck, but i think tapping in would be ok, but im not sure
Old 10-09-2006, 11:53 AM

You should be able to tapp it but you might want to get another amp, either another small 1 to push the other sub or just 1 big 1 to replace the stock 1 and push both. Im not surre what the stock one pushes but i used a 460 watt dual amp and pushed 2 MTX thunder
4000`s and it sounded pretty nice.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1FastGM
ok so i don't wanna go too crazy with a system but i do want a little bit more bass. i like the sound of the pioneer sub so i want to add another one in on the other side. i am going to try to find a stock subwoofer from another cobalt . But i need to know if i can wire it by tapping into the plug that goes into the subwoofer. I will make another box custom to fit into the other side and then carpet everything to match or possibly make a fibreglass enclosure that looks the same as the stock one but reversed. So if you could give me some suggestions that would be great. and btw where is the amp for our stock system?

Thanks
Chris
What do you mean by tapping it? Just T'ing in to the existing sub wiring and hooking the new sub up that way (in parallel with the original)? If that's the case then you will probably hurt the stock amp since you will be cutting the impedance in half.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
What do you mean by tapping it? Just T'ing in to the existing sub wiring and hooking the new sub up that way (in parallel with the original)? If that's the case then you will probably hurt the stock amp since you will be cutting the impedance in half.
what he said
Old 10-09-2006, 01:04 PM

i've installed many systems and also spoken with several of my friends who own competition stereo stores and everyone's opinion is that you can tap into thos wires to install another sub but you may end up splitting the power between the two subs so the sound may not be as good. i have 3 concept 12's and a 1200 watt amp i'm going to put in my car so i was going to attach an output converter to those wires since i was keeping my stock head unit. just need to find the time..ya know
Old 10-09-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt06ss_sc
i've installed many systems and also spoken with several of my friends who own competition stereo stores and everyone's opinion is that you can tap into thos wires to install another sub but you may end up splitting the power between the two subs so the sound may not be as good. i have 3 concept 12's and a 1200 watt amp i'm going to put in my car so i was going to attach an output converter to those wires since i was keeping my stock head unit. just need to find the time..ya know
It's fine to tap into those wires to hook up an output converter like you're going to do. But, if you're going to just run them into a new sub, it won't do much good sound wise and like I said it will probably end up hurting the factory amp due to half impedance.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:16 PM

Thanks
Chris

the amp is under the drive side dash. its tiny and grey
Old 10-09-2006, 04:03 PM

It's fine to tap into those wires to hook up an output converter like you're going to do. But, if you're going to just run them into a new sub, it won't do much good sound wise and like I said it will probably end up hurting the factory amp due to half impedance.
i don't think it will hurt the amp. IMO 2 subs runing off the same amount power as one will get half the amount of power and end up hurting the sound quality/volume.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:39 PM

Is there anyone that has a stock sub with enclosure that would be willing to sell, and if so how much and where are you located
Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 PM

i don't think it will hurt the amp. IMO 2 subs runing off the same amount power as one will get half the amount of power and end up hurting the sound quality/volume.
I do think there's a good chance it will hurt the amp. If impedance doesn't matter, why can't you just run as many subs in parallel as you want and keep halving the impedance?

That's just it, it doesn't get half the amount of power when you run 2 subs in parallel. When you run the subs in parallel the amp sees half the impedance and puts out MORE power (for example my Alpine is 400w RMS @ 4 ohms but 600w RMS @ 2ohms, so if I had one 4 ohm sub it would get 400 RMS, but if I had 2 4 ohm subs in parallel they would get 300 each) then it originally did, and if it wasn't designed for it (which the factory stuff probably isn't) it'll get hurt when the volume is cranked.........
Old 10-09-2006, 08:50 PM

I do think there's a good chance it will hurt the amp. If impedance doesn't matter, why can't you just run as many subs in parallel as you want and keep halving the impedance?

That's just it, it doesn't get half the amount of power when you run 2 subs in parallel. When you run the subs in parallel the amp sees half the impedance and puts out MORE power (for example my Alpine is 400w RMS @ 4 ohms but 600w RMS @ 2ohms, so if I had one 4 ohm sub it would get 400 RMS, but if I had 2 4 ohm subs in parallel they would get 300 each) then it originally did, and if it wasn't designed for it (which the factory stuff probably isn't) it'll get hurt when the volume is cranked.........
LOL whatever dude you obvously think you know more than the people who do this **** for a living so i'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. soooo that said have a nice evening
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 PM

LOL whatever dude you obvously think you know more than the people who do this **** for a living so i'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. soooo that said have a nice evening
All I can say is that if you think adding a second sub and wiring it in parallel with the first one will half the power to each sub you obviously don't know what you're doing. What shop do you work in so I know to avoid it?

Maybe you should check out the parallel impedance calculator at this site: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

If you put 2 4 ohm speakers in parallel the load the amplifier sees is 2 ohms. If you knew anything about ohm's law and amplifiers you would know that a 2 ohm impedance will cause the amplifier to put out more power then a 4 ohm impedance. But if the amplifier is not stable for the ohms you try to run it at, you will likely hurt it or put it in protection mode. You might also check out the info here and pay special attention to the line that says "Please check to see that the overall impedance load is compatible with your amplifier."
Old 10-10-2006, 10:33 PM

dude thats a bad idea, you cant run subs like that across from each other and expect it to sound good. the distance is too great and it would sound horrible
Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 PM

Are We Also Forgetting How Small The Stock Power Wire Is But If U Wanna Fry Your Wire Then Thats Cool
Old 10-11-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSS-supercharged
dude thats a bad idea, you cant run subs like that across from each other and expect it to sound good. the distance is too great and it would sound horrible
also ment to say cancels each other out
Old 10-11-2006, 10:20 PM

Hooking another sub up in parallel will kill that amp, and may cause a fire with the small power wire. You are going to pull more power than that amp is able to handle and I would doubt that a factory amp would have thermal overload protection because they don't plan on it being used for anything other than the factory connection...which is what could cause a fire. It will just heat up and never shut off, like most aftermarket amps will.

Just for future knowledge fuses on your power line are not to protect your amps that you have it hooked into it is to protect the wire and stop it from burning through your car. 0 guage could easily heat up hot enough to melt right through the frame of your car if the amprage was uncontested by something like a fuse. I use to wreck chace and have acutally seen this happen when the wire was pinched off at one end where the fuse was and it was still connected to the battery.

You do have the option of hooking your second sub in series. This would send an 8ohm load back to your amp. That will half the power that your amp puts out. So, for example if it was giving out 200 W to a single sub in 4 ohms. It would now give out 100 W to 2 subs in 8 ohms. With this set up you would not have to worry about overheating and bunning something up. This is your only option to use your factory amp on 2 subs. They will loose volume and clarity if you do this so it defeats the purpose.

I would get a small truck specific after market sub and aftermarket amp and just install them both in place of the existing factory sub. The truck specific is because the enclosure is fairly small so a sub made for small enclosures would do better in there with out having to add spacers.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSS-supercharged
also ment to say cancels each other out

They probably will not cancle each other out because there will be a fraction of a delay in one of them because of the impedance of the wire. It is low but it still has some which will give some delay. The waves would have to be exact opposite to notice an audible cancelation. This is nearly imposible to do. In theory cancelation can happen but in practice it would be very rare.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:23 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
lol ya i know my cousin had the mustang mach system in his gt and it didnt cancel... one 12 on each side... not well bolted thou
Old 10-12-2006, 07:01 AM

Is there anyone that has a stock sub with enclosure that would be willing to sell, and if so how much and where are you located

i could possiby have a stock sub, im located in massachusetts. i don't know what they go for so if i look around im sure i can hook u up with a price if my car is totaled cuz its no use to me
Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 PM

so what happened to the suggestions for the box to go on the passenger side?