Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Installing tweeters in base coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing tweeters in base coupe

Anyone install tweeters in their base coupe?

Where would be best place?

I have an aftermarket system already, just need more highs. Bought Kenwood tweeters, 280 watts

Thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your lack of power windows mean there is an arm for window adjustment coming through the sail panel (the inside panel next to the mirror)??
Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 PM

tools needed... drill any size bit
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...r/IMG_1592.jpg
dremal or what ever its called.

now i used air tools, but electircal tools will work just fine.
then go nut's

stock location for the pioneer system... note that IS the location for the stock tweeter

after drilling a couple holes and useing the dremal to make the hole slightly bigger each time i went to go test fit it. tell i got the right fit.

and presto zap o...

the finished product. looks stock to some, but to toehrs they will know its after market.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:48 PM

I just built a pod for my tweeters.

What I did was took out the little screw cover on the A-piller then glassed the back of the pod down inside of hole. (Make sure you use alluminum foil with WD-40 or wax on it so that you can get it out of there and it is not stuck there perminatly.)

I then molded the glass up around a small wooden ring that was held up by some tie rods.

You need to run the wires your self from an amp or your head unit.

Then take the screw out of the A-frame drill a hole in the pod and screw it down. (It should fit perfectly since you glassed it to fit in there.) Then just mount your tweeter in there and wire it up.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:27 PM

I had mine put on the doors up top near the front of the door.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:25 PM

For best sound keep the tweeter as close to the bass speaker as possible.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Taro
This is true, although there is a tradeoff. If you put the tweet close to the midrange you get less of a path length difference to your ear, and the frequencies in the middle of the crossover curve sound better. If you get the tweeter up high in the A pillar, it makes for a nice high sound stage which really makes a huge difference. I just replaced the Pioneer tweeters that came in my TS-C160 component set with the TW-24 silk tweeter from CDT, and man are those things sweet. The Pioneers were too harsh and the path length difference didn't help that. What I will probably do in the future is get some of those CDT braxial's that have the tweet mounted right on the midrange, and get their crossover that has the "Upstage" system built in and use the tweeters I have on the sail panel as imaging tweeters. This way it's the best of both worlds, no path length difference and a high sound stage due to the super high frequency imaging tweeter. But, it'll probably be awhile until I justify spending $500 on that. Things sound pretty great just the way they are right now.

Check out the CDT stuff at www.cdtaudio.com
Old 07-19-2006, 10:45 PM

Since I don't know much about car audio what do you mean by the bass speakers?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:54 PM

He meant midbass. Your 6.5" speakers or whatever you replaced teh stockers with, if you have replaced them.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:50 AM

I mounted mine right in the slots where they have them on the SS stock tweeters, just cut a hole and popped them in...they look great!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
This is true, although there is a tradeoff. If you put the tweet close to the midrange you get less of a path length difference to your ear, and the frequencies in the middle of the crossover curve sound better. If you get the tweeter up high in the A pillar, it makes for a nice high sound stage which really makes a huge difference. I just replaced the Pioneer tweeters that came in my TS-C160 component set with the TW-24 silk tweeter from CDT, and man are those things sweet. The Pioneers were too harsh and the path length difference didn't help that. What I will probably do in the future is get some of those CDT braxial's that have the tweet mounted right on the midrange, and get their crossover that has the "Upstage" system built in and use the tweeters I have on the sail panel as imaging tweeters. This way it's the best of both worlds, no path length difference and a high sound stage due to the super high frequency imaging tweeter. But, it'll probably be awhile until I justify spending $500 on that. Things sound pretty great just the way they are right now.

Check out the CDT stuff at www.cdtaudio.com

Does this mean that your tweeters are mounted in your A-pillar and if so is there any way you can get pictures?

Also since I have manual mirrors I can't mount mine on the little sail panel so would mounting it right next to the door handle sound good?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlackLS
Does this mean that your tweeters are mounted in your A-pillar and if so is there any way you can get pictures?

Also since I have manual mirrors I can't mount mine on the little sail panel so would mounting it right next to the door handle sound good?
Look at my gallery for pics. I have a thread on it here too if you do some searching.

The door handle area would be fine I'm sure, but just make sure you have clearance behind wherever you want to drill. I don't know how tight the window is there when rolled down.......
Old 07-20-2006, 10:22 PM

Does your lack of power windows mean there is an arm for window adjustment coming through the sail panel (the inside panel next to the mirror)??
Yeah, I've got the manual window, and mirrow controls.

I leased my Cobalt, so I'm not to fond of drilling in it. I want to keep my system when I change cars. Unless I get a second pair of covers fro the manual mirror adjustmenets....humm....

Anyone got photos?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by BigAl
Yeah, I've got the manual window, and mirrow controls.

I leased my Cobalt, so I'm not to fond of drilling in it. I want to keep my system when I change cars. Unless I get a second pair of covers fro the manual mirror adjustmenets....humm....

Anyone got photos?
If that's the case, I would use the surface mounts that come with the tweeters and put them on the dash. Use a piece of velcro or tape and mess with the aiming until they sound good to you.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:31 PM

If that's the case, I would use the surface mounts that come with the tweeters and put them on the dash. Use a piece of velcro or tape and mess with the aiming until they sound good to you.
Actually I did just that today, using the supplied 2 way tape. Placed them on the dash, right behind the side window vents. Worked out just fine.

Now I have the sound I wanted all along.

I'll try to get a photo on, if I can figure how to!
Old 07-21-2006, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking the other day of possibly mounting some in the little defrost vents on the dash. What does everyone think of that idea. Im not an expert when it comes to audio so any advice/opinions are always welcome
Old 07-22-2006, 07:33 PM

I'm trying to add a picture to this, but I can't. seems I cannot post attachments. I don't know why?????????
Old 07-23-2006, 12:54 AM

that isnt always true , because the high sounds from tweeter are easily blocked

what i do is either use a 2 way speaker in the door , or use a component set and mount the tweeter down low , then i also put a tweeter up in the a-pilar in the door

it helps for better imagining