Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

installing xm radion roady xt??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow installing xm radion roady xt??

i just bought the roady xt from circuit city the other day because it was on sale for 49.99. yes i am a dumb ass i got my car without xm, i didn't think i would need it or want it but its too late now. so my question to everyone is, i have a 06 cobalt ss/sc with the mp3 cd player, does that mean it is xm ready? and can i buy the cords to plug into the deck instead of screwing with the radio tuning?? also do i have to put the magnetic antena on the roof? is there somewhere else i can hide it but not lose reception when i go under a tree?? or can you tell me how to get it outside without making my window or sunroof leak? and will that magnetic thing damage the paint in anyway?? and last can i cut off the cig. lighter plug and just hardwire it in the car?? throw out some ideas here because i'll have alot of things apart when i put in my b&m short throw so i figure i'd do this all at once... thanks guys
Old 05-27-2006, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by OneFast20
i just bought the roady xt from circuit city the other day because it was on sale for 49.99. yes i am a dumb ass i got my car without xm, i didn't think i would need it or want it but its too late now. so my question to everyone is, i have a 06 cobalt ss/sc with the mp3 cd player, does that mean it is xm ready? and can i buy the cords to plug into the deck instead of screwing with the radio tuning?? also do i have to put the magnetic antena on the roof? is there somewhere else i can hide it but not lose reception when i go under a tree?? or can you tell me how to get it outside without making my window or sunroof leak? and will that magnetic thing damage the paint in anyway?? and last can i cut off the cig. lighter plug and just hardwire it in the car?? throw out some ideas here because i'll have alot of things apart when i put in my b&m short throw so i figure i'd do this all at once... thanks guys
No, it does not mean it is XM ready. I am not 100% on what adapters are needed to hook it up to your stock deck although I know it can be done. Yes, you can put it on your trunk like mine and run the wire with your rear lights through that wire loom on the left side of the trunk to hide the wire. Mine is pretty small and really not noticable. You won't get any leaks if you put it there either. It will not damage the paint if you remove it and clean under it every once in awhile. You can get an adapter from radioshack to hardwire it for a few bucks instead of cutting the wire and connect it to a switch accessory in the fuse box (don't connect it to the stock radio because it uses the LAN system and is not an actual accessory wire).

Hope all that helps
Old 05-27-2006, 07:42 AM

I have the same setup in my car but with an Audiovox, similar to your Roady. The hot wire I wired into the fusebox. I mounted the antenna on the front of the roof outside above the rearview mirror and ran the wires down under the rubber that's around the windshield. I'd prefer the XM that comes from the factory. This one is hard to see and I can't use the steering wheel controls. I would like to know also if there is a difference between a non xm and xm radio,
Old 05-27-2006, 11:53 PM

Difference between XM and non-XM radio?

Well, XM uses a satellite system from space and FM/AM radio received signal through the air in a certain area or travels through the ground. At least I think that is what you are asking about.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by stealththx
Difference between XM and non-XM radio?

Well, XM uses a satellite system from space and FM/AM radio received signal through the air in a certain area or travels through the ground. At least I think that is what you are asking about.
umm i think i know what the difference is between xm satellite radio and fm/am but thanks for think i'm a complete idot... i was asking how to hook up the roady xt that i bought, thanks anyways...
Old 05-28-2006, 04:00 PM

The question I was asking I guess are the head units the same for an xm and non xm radio equipped cars like maybe a wire harness and some kind of xm box? Putting it another way what would be needed to make car xm that wasn't xm like from the factory.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:11 PM

yea i was wondering if they had an like an input plug that i can plug into the radio to xm roady holder so that way i don't have to play it through the radio because it sounds like crap like that...i guess im just going to have best buy install it