Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Interior Foglight Swtich

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Foglight Swtich

Couldn't find a better forum for this... Perhaps we need just a dedicated "Electrical" section.

Just purchased the foglight/dimmer button side of the interior trim, as my 2LT didn't come with foglights originally n:.

I was thinking that the foglight switch was just a simple toggle switch, however I was quite wrong. Does anyone know what this connects to?

I've attached some pictures for clarification.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:18 AM

For clarification:
I understand the dynamics behind foglights. Obviously I need to attach them to the lights themselves, etc..

Obviously this has a harness that connects to it. I was looking for information regarding the harness, or perhaps making my own.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would use an ohm meter (or a digital multimeter with an audible beep for a closed circuit) to see which terminals are closed when you push the switch. Then you can go about hooking them up.

I'm not sure how the foglight circuit is set up, but you may have a problem with finding a pair of pins that stay closed constantly after you push the button. In other words, I'm thinking that the factory switch is a momentary switch, not an SPST switch, so when you push the button it sends a signal to the computer to turn the foglights on, then returns to the same position. Push it again, and the lights turn off. They do it this way since the foglights can only be on when the car is on and when you shut it off, the button doesn't stay on and have the lights come on as soon as you start the car up.

So you may have trouble using that switch for what you're trying to accomplish, but I would check the pins with an ohm meter to see for sure.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:17 AM

I have a really bad feeling that could be the case.

Anyone selling the harness?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:50 AM

im also adding fog lights, I already purchased the factory fog lamp housing, but im just going to hook up the fog lamps to my head lights, that way theyll always be on when my headlights are on, but if I chance my mind let me know how it went.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:39 PM

After some exploring, figured out the harness is already there. It's connected to the dimmer switch, waiting for the foglight trim to be plugged in.

I think all the electrical stuff is there, just the hardware's missing. That would make sense for cost-cutting, just build all of them with the essential parts, but missing the actual optional parts.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:24 AM

So you are saying the plug is there just not attached to nothing? I also have an LT and would like to add some fogs. I looked under the front there hoping the harness would be there, but I could not find anything. It is hard to see though and if I took some stuff off I could probably see a little better.

Art
Old 08-29-2006, 10:49 AM

Yep, it's there. Take off the bottom plastic thing by pulling on the top. I was quite gentle at first, but when I realized how it was attatched I just yanked it right off. You might break the trim you're replacing, but it doesn't really matter... you're replacing it. It even works after it's plugged in, I should go visit my dealer and ask why my car came with the foglight button but no foglights

Now all that's left is to actually add the foglights... so... the hardest part.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Exigen
Yep, it's there. Take off the bottom plastic thing by pulling on the top. I was quite gentle at first, but when I realized how it was attatched I just yanked it right off. You might break the trim you're replacing, but it doesn't really matter... you're replacing it. It even works after it's plugged in, I should go visit my dealer and ask why my car came with the foglight button but no foglights

Now all that's left is to actually add the foglights... so... the hardest part.

it's not hard... lemmie tell you a story.....

orignally, i wanted a 2LT... with a five speed and foglights. damn thing was hard to comeby. so i did some searching, sure enough, all the equipment is there, all one needs to do is hook it the hell up. it really is just a matter of getting the switch panel and the lamps themselves and wiring it. in fact, i think that it's even there on the LS/base model cars... there just isn't a physical place to put the lamps. the LTs have that cool pop-out plastic bit that interchanges with the foglight one, it's just a bitch to get. the dealer wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for the parts.... so i bought an SS.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:10 PM

you can buy the connector from ur chevy dealership, it comes with the wires already in the connector, they extend about 6 inches. Then grab a schematic for the switch. I'll see if I can find one for you
Old 08-31-2006, 04:18 PM

Fog Lamp Switch T37

Connector Part Information
• OEM: 15419483
• Service: See Catalog
• 4-Way F Metri-Pack 150 Series (BK)

Pin......Wire Color......Circuit No......Funtion
A.........Bk/Wh...........1051.............Signal Ground
B.........--..................--.................Not Used
C........OG.................192..............Front Foglamp Switch Signal
D........GY..................8.................Ins trument Panel Lamp Supply Voltage

This might help you more than the schematic
Old 09-01-2006, 10:12 AM

Thanks, fortunately I won't have to be using this as the harness is already there. I hooked up and it works perfectly.

Working on completing this mod and making a how-to.