Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

ipod

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ipod

how do i transfer music from cd's to my ipod or can i even do that?
Old 01-06-2006, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by hardtocope
how do i transfer music from cd's to my ipod or can i even do that?
Rip the cd to iTunes.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:37 PM

does it take long to rip a cd to the computer? i have hundreds of cd's and i'm considering by a ipod but if it takes a long time to do each cd then i'm not sure if its worth it.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:51 PM

i am considering buying the new 60gb ipod that out. supposeldy it holds 15,000 songs. do these things really hold these many songs and how is the sound quality?
Old 01-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

i am considering buying the new 60gb ipod that out. supposeldy it holds 15,000 songs. do these things really hold these many songs and how is the sound quality?
Sound quality and size depends how you rip the CD's. In Windows Media Player (I positively hate Apple) I rip CD's at 128kps (CD quality), and the sound quality is excellent. So as long as you rip at 128kps or higher, you should be good. Most songs are about 3-4 Megabytes each, so figuring there about 1,000 Megs in a GB and the player you are looking at getting has a capacity of 60GB, you should be able to hold about 17,000 songs
Old 01-06-2006, 03:05 PM

if your considering buying an ipod. do it. it will be one of the most amazing investments because its really easy. the new ipod are a ridiculously good deal too....

ripping a c can take anywhere from 5-45 minutes depending on your computer, your OS. (mac or windows) and your patients. for me i have about 2000 songs on my ipod and computer and it still runs like a champ. but if your computer is slow and old, an ipod might not be the best for you. ipods need a usb 2.0 port/firewire port. and you can buy a device called an itrip which allows you to take your ipod anywhere that you have a radio.

go visit your local apple store and theyll tell you all the goodies....i bought mine within 5 minutes of the sales presentation

then i bought a 2000 ibook laptop. but it was totally worth it.

so dont hesitate, cause its a great deal

oh yea. and the sound quality is great
Old 01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Doc

I have a 20 gig ipod and I have it almost full, 17 gig and 2400 songs (they are huge and I haven't taken the time to change the file size). The sound quality is awesome too. I run with it on a daily basis. I have to recharge it once a week usually.

btw, the best purchase I have made..
Old 01-06-2006, 03:11 PM

well i download itunes and i've started putting my cd's on it. they are going on itunes in ACC format. is that good? i head that if the songs are uncompressed than the ipod will not be able to hold that much.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:12 PM

DOC did you change ur headunit?
Old 01-06-2006, 03:14 PM

idk wish i had one
Old 01-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Doc

DOC did you change ur headunit?
no, I didn't
Old 01-06-2006, 03:28 PM

how are u using hte ipod them? a fm transmitter? if so how does that sound? i'm thinking about getting this adapter for mine https://www.cobaltss.net/forums//sho...5&goto=newpost
Old 01-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Doc

Originally Posted by Doc
I run with it on a daily basis.
that means I RUN while I listen to it you know, one foot in front of the other.....
Old 01-06-2006, 08:32 PM

if the battery dies in the ipod do u lose all of ur songs?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned

well i download itunes and i've started putting my cd's on it. they are going on itunes in ACC format. is that good? i head that if the songs are uncompressed than the ipod will not be able to hold that much.
No, don't use ACC. The best format is MP3 (hence the name of the player ), they maintain excellent sound quality while still being relatively small in size. Not to mention ACC files won't play in anything other than an Apple Music program, which useless.

if the battery dies in the ipod do u lose all of ur songs?
No, don't worry. All your songs are stored on the Hard Drive inside the unit, so even if you take the battery out, all your songs will still be there when you put it back in.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:00 PM

how do i change it to mp3?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:05 PM

iPod hardwired to stock head unit?

how are u using hte ipod them? a fm transmitter? if so how does that sound? i'm thinking about getting this adapter for mine https://www.cobaltss.net/forums//sho...5&goto=newpost

I'm on the same page here, I'd like to keep my stock head unit but haven't had any luck finding a compatible set up for the cobalt. I have the iTrip transmitter, and it's about as worthless as you can get so I'm dying to get it hard wired. If any of you guys have any idea on a product that'll do that job drop me a line. THANKS!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:50 PM

Actually AAC is capable of providing a higher quality file and even 5.1 channels but this is acheived in the larger size kbps rather than the space saving 128kbps file size everyone is used to making. AAC takes more resources to play back a file than other file types since it is a near loss less compressed format which is why other mp3 players dont use it since it can reduce playback time from a single charge. Since we are discussing low kbps files to keep overall file size down AAC takes a back seat when compared to an MP3 with the same kbps file.

WMA files are often used in the case in which you want an insanely large amount of files on your mp3 player so space saving is the train of thought when using this file format. WMA is a true compressed format that can have the affect or actually reducing a files sound quality even when using a cd quality kbps but the end result is a much smaller file size. There are software programs that can produce 5.1 loss less WMA files however, this type of program can often times cost more to get or in my case a really expensive sound card which comes with software to do this.

The sound quality of an MP3 file will be dependant on the encoder that creates the file as some software is better than others. In most cases choosing 128kbps for an mp3 will provide great results as it is theoretically the same persivable sound quality as a cd. While the MP3 format is considered a compressed format like the previous two mentioned, what actually takes place during the encoding process is not an actual compression process but rather the exclusion or deletion of non persivable audio that humans cannot hear or distinguish within the current audio wave. The result as everyone knows is about 1.02mb per minute of music that sounds just about the same as a wav file or CDA (cd audio file) at 44.1khz.

There are LOTS of people within my place of work that have iPOD's however, I must say that while the iPOD is cool looking the output quality is actually less than the MP3 player created by Creative called the Zen. I beleive it was cNET that did a direct comparison between the iPOD and the Zen and the creative Zen came out on top to win the comparison and the highlights of the article were audio quality and the battery life from a single charge ... also how do you change the battery on an iPOD? if i am not mistaken, you can't you have to ship it to apple and they will send it back with a replaced battery. Not many people know about the Zen but those that do where I work are many times envied by those that have the iPOD since the Zen comes out of the box with the ability to record live audio from a built in mic to wav format so you can playback that lecture from class and can also listen to the radio and record the audio internally.
http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenvisionm/
Old 01-07-2006, 12:40 AM

can the creative mp3 player be used in a car?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

Yep, definitely. I use mine in the car all the time. You just need either a cassette tape adapter (good for cars with only a cassette deck) or a wireless adapter. I have the wireless adapter, and it works very well. Then sell them at Walmart, or just about any electronics store. Basically you plug one end of the wire into your MP3 payer headphone jack, and the other end goes to a small tanamsitter box. You tune your stereo to a weak station like 88.1, and the transmitter takes over the signal for that station. So it basically broadcasts the music from your MP3 player to your stereo
Old 01-07-2006, 07:38 PM

like wesman stated there are transmitters that have the ability to send the stereo signal over the air so you can tune into the music. As a side note to this there are also more expensive types of transmitters that can send the signal up to a mile in distance much like short range radios so others on the road can listen in as well which can work good if your doing a road trip.

What most new cars support these days is the ability to use an auxilary port which is basically a stereo input from an external source such as a cd changer. What you can do is get a y cable which on one end has the left and right audio channel inputs then plug it into the stereo's aux port and on the other end it has the head phone jack connecter which you plug into the MP3 player. This allows any MP3 player to play into the stereo regardless of the brand or type since all you need is the stereo that has an auxillary port.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:44 PM

how good do these fm transmitters sound? does anyone know of any good ones?
Old 01-08-2006, 02:25 PM

i used to have one but not sure what the brand was ... as far as sound quality goes it was suprisingly good for over the air audio

this isn't the model I had in the past but it's the same concept

http://store.itrimming.com/dothxxxxfm01.html